Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We recently had the opportunity to test out a new set of carbon canards made by Verus Engineering on my 987.2 at NJMP Thunderbolt.

We spent the morning sessions getting lap times consistent enough to have a baseline. Then, during lunch break we installed the canards having drilled the holes the night before. These things actually made a huge difference. We were skeptical at first that adding canards wouldn't make much of a difference. Where the front end felt a little unstable and pushed the car is now solidly planted with the canards installed. The higher speed corners where you're typically a little hesitant to push the car to the very edge were completely changed now that there was more confidence in the front grip at those speeds. After testing the waters a little bit, the car was able to carry much more speed through turns 3 and 4 and coming on to the straight. Those few mph at the beginning of the straight obviously translated into a significantly quicker lap time. After looking at the lap data from the AIM it confirmed what was felt out on track. The inside line on this picture is with the canards installed and the outside is without them. As you can see by the heat map we're able to carry a lot more speed through the faster corners and get on the power much earlier coming on to the straight.

We have used Verus Engineering parts in the past on other platforms, and they really do their homework on every product they release. We can say without a doubt their stuff is top notch. Their analysis on a stock car showed that the canards provided 62.5 pounds of downforce with only a 10 pound drag penalty at 100mph. This moved the aero balance point forward by 30 millimeters.

Here's a close up picture of what they look like. The install on these was a breeze, they come with a nice vinyl template that clearly marks where they should be installed and the fit and finish of the carbon pieces is top notch.
We're currently working with Verus to test fit and track test some of their parts. They want to produce a complete aero package for the Cayman potentially consisting of a splitter, canards, rear wing and diffuser. For now though, the canards should be available for purchase from us soon for $309.

The car has a Getty Designs duck bill and wing and a Tarret front lip. It was running on 245/275 R888R's with MCS coilovers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The results are impressive. I just visited the Verus website and it appears this product has not been listed. Please let us know when these and other Porsche products are available for purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The results are impressive. I just visited the Verus website and it appears this product has not been listed. Please let us know when these and other Porsche products are available for purchase.
Thanks, we appreciate it. We worked closely with Gear One Performance on a solution to their lack of front downforce/too much rearward aero-balance. We will have it on our website when production comes in later this month. However, we will prefer if it is purchased through Gear One Performance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great test results on the dive planes. You mention a Tarett front lip. Any similar testing with that? Any input on the performance of the Tarett lip?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I don't have the same type of data on the Tarett lip. We really only started doing the serious testing when we partnered up with Verus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice looking evaluation. Looks much like the Joe Toth Products dive planes.

I know he has them for all of the models of Caymans in both composite and carbon fiber.

I have always like the swan neck wings.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah unfortunately there are only a few different ways you can make the canards for the bumper. The big advantage with Verus is the engineering that goes into the specific profile for the best on track results in everything they produce.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah unfortunately there are only a few different ways you can make the canards for the bumper. The big advantage with Verus is the engineering that goes into the specific profile on everything they produce.
Well that's nothing new....all of the dive planes I've been producing for the past six years are model specific. Versus aren't the only folks bright enough to figure out the bumpers all have different curves and contours otherwise I wouldn't need a rack full of dive plane molds.Please get your facts straight before commenting on competitors product.Have a nice day,Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is pretty nice that they do that. It looks very impressive.

I ran some quick trials with Ansys myself today just to see. Of course I do not have a model of a Cayman to use, so mine is a bit more crude (but at least the calculation ran fast)

I was not seeing a huge difference is drag vs downforce if I moved the canards around and changed the angle a bit one way or the other. Changing the size made a big difference, but as long as I kept them about the same size and shape that Porsche Motorsports made them, then it was in the ballpark with what Versus is claiming.

I am a little disappointed though, I thought the front downforce advantage would be a bit higher and the drag would be lower. Maybe one of the variables that is not being considered is the air that is not getting disturbed on the side of the car by the wheel wells. The dive planes should actually be helping overall downforce.

I was having a problem keeping the front nose of my 997 cup car planted last year on my 997 cup car. At one point in frustration I added a pair of dive planes (covering up a sponsors logo unfortunately) and changed the rear wing position lessening it, not increasing it, and really gave myself a faster car overall.

Thanks

Ed

1 - 20 of 31 Posts