Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a new owner and a long, long, long time lurker here at Planet-9 aka CaymanClub for a few years now. I would first like to thank everyone on the boards who contributes in any manner, because I can honestly say- without this site, I would not have bought a Cayman. Here is my story. I had a custom 2006 Cayman S on order which I did not take delivery on because of change in plans for work (medical resident). Never forgot about the CS, got busy with residency and recently started looking around for the "right" Cayman. My familiarity with Porsche comes via a 964 Carrera 2 my father still owns (35K miles, mint).

Because there was now the newer DFI variant CS, I considered ordering a brand new CS. But while looking at various websites (cars, autotrader, ebaymotors ) I began to see that the Cayman has taken a serious hit on depreciation since I ordered my 2006 Cayman. Weighing the options, I decided to look for a pristine, single owner vehicle with the desired options I wanted. The must haves for me were: Xenon Headlamps, Full Leather, Sport Chrono, Heated Seats, Auto Climate Control (seriously, why is this an option?), 19inch wheels (not Carerra S, personal taste), Bose (not an audiophile). Nice to have would have been PASM, sport seats, self dim/ rain sensor, and any other options on Porsche’s endless list. Steering wheel, sport shifter, and other items could be added afterwards, albeit more expensive than in Finland :). As I’m sure many on this board have done, I began running through EVERY possible vehicle in the US. After about 4 months of searching, I was able to find the beauty which is on its way to me in California as we speak.

Details: 2006 CS w/ 9,500 miles. Warranty until November 31, 2010. Single owner, 65 yo male, Porsche enthusiast (owns a 356, 993, and the CS). Car has been garaged since delivery at 25 miles. 10K service completed (oil change and brake fluid). PPI completed at a local Porsche dealer. DME was clear. Spoke to the tech who inspected the vehicle and he was reassured me the car was in great condition and emailed me the inspection report. Btw, car is in NC and I am in California.

Options: Basalt Black Metallic, Black Full Leather, Adaptive Sport Seats, Black Mats-Porsche Lettering, Self Dim Mirrors/Rain Sensor, Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package, Heated Front Seats, 19” Sport Design Wheels, Automatic Climate Control, Sport Chrono Package, Bose Surround Sound, CD Changer- 6 disc.

Exclusive Options: Spoiler Lips Aluminum Look, Storage Cmpt Lid w/ Model Logo, Stainless Steel Illuminated Sills, Sport Shifter, Porsche Crest in Headrest, Foot Rest in Aluminum

Price: MSRP $75,570 . Price paid: $37,000. I was able to secure enclosed, top load, insured shipping for $1000.

The car is to be delivered in about 10 days. I'm glad I'll be working, did I just say that??? I will post pictures after I get the car and install my clear corners, GT3 brake ducts, lower mirror arms in Aluminum look, and tint. I look forward to meeting up with some Porsche fanatics in the Bay Area as well. Once again, to the few that have made it through this, I would like to say thanks for everything. Drive Safely and Happy Motoring.

-VelociRaptor :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
You will love it. My 2008 CS bought new is my first Porsche and have owned 37 cars previously of just about every ilk. You will love it........raced Go Karts as a teen and this is the most fun that I have had since way back then.

·
Registered
481 Posts
VelociRaptor,

Well,if you are anything like me, you will not be disappointed, because our two cars are quite similar, and mine drives superbly. I am in the bay area, and purchased (last week) a local 2007 CS with Xenons, full leather (two-tone), Sport Chrono, heated seats, auto climate, 19 wheels (Carrera S), aluminum spoiler lips, mats, and Bose, w/warranty expiring in June of 2011. 7600 miles. MSRP $74,410. One owner garaged car, came with clear plastic bra, clean DME, passed Porsche inspection. I looked for a while too, and it pays off. Happy it did for you. Pics please when it arrives!

- Phil

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K-Man,
He wasn't, but I did tell him about Planet-9 so he may be on here in the near future.
-VelociRaptor

·
Registered
411 Posts
Very nice buy! Let someone else take the depreciation hit.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phil,
Thanks for the msg. I lived vicariously through you while I finished up my deal and read about your search and find. I'll post a host of pics when the car arrives. Have you joined a PCA chapter? I'm looking to join one and didn't know which one was most active. I figured it would be the Golden Gate region.
-VelociRaptor

·
Registered
481 Posts
Phil,
Thanks for the msg. I lived vicariously through you while I finished up my deal and read about your search and find. I'll post a host of pics when the car arrives. Have you joined a PCA chapter? I'm looking to join one and didn't know which one was most active. I figured it would be the Golden Gate region.
-VelociRaptor
Not joined PCA, but my local region is Diablo. Golden Gate appears more active, but at this juncture, not sure what I really want out of the organization.

- Phil

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congrats! I live in the Bay Area too and bought a car from out of state. Here are some tips for registering with the DMV: Get an appointment with the DMV right now--the soonest slot is probably a few weeks out so it will be too late if you wait until your car arrives. Remember to get your car smog checked before you go to the DMV so that you don't have to go back to the DMV and/or do the final stuff by mail. Learn how to remove the carpet above the engine so that you can expose the emissions label. Make sure the DMV person writes the value for the main odometer, not the trip odometer. My local DMV lets you get in line earlier than the appointment, so even if you can't get the earliest appointment you can start waiting early anyway; that way you might get out by noon.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
This is exciting news as it's just about precisely the boat I am in . . . . I love hearing that perseverance pays off. . . I've got 4 "candiates" in my gun sights . . just looking for "that" deal.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Definitely pays to be patient and look around. The deals are out there. My car was initially sold and owned privately for 6 months before being traded in with 3,900 miles. I had just come from looking at an Elise and driving a Boxster for the first time. That car was nice but had some very minor issues. I then come upon my car which as I said had 3,900 miles, 2 1/2 years left on the warranty and was flawless. First buyer took the hit and I saved minimally $15,000 and I haven't regretted it once. Enjoy the hunt, thats one of the best parts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As soon as the weather begins to dry in the Bay area, you will have some wonderful driving days ahead. I, too, spent a couple of months nosing around for a used Cayman as I specifically waited for the first batch of lease returns. However, I never found one that grabbed me and was preparing to keep my Cayenne.

Then one afternoon at the end of 08, I spotted a 2008 in Atlas Gray Metallic with all of the accessories I would have ordered, and only 1k miles on it on a local dealer's web site. My salesman at the dealership didn't even know it was listed. They had just got the car that morning. It turns out that it was the Porsche service rep's car and he'd only had it about a month (the warranty had only been punched 45 days earlier). Porsche had told all of their reps to flip their demos no matter how long they had had them.

I got it for a price that I'm still not allowed to talk about, and was able to sell my Cayenne to someone who shipped it to China before the bottom fell out of the market.

Timing and patience are everything.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think you got a great deal. Those 9,500 miles were painfully expensive to the original owner. Any 2-3yr old car is a sweet spot best buy, but perhaps no more so than a Porsche. Something always to be said for owning a new car and breaking it in yourself, but theres a premium to be paid for the privilege. You basically paid half for a new car.

Gotta love it.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
That sounds like an amazing car. You have more features with less miles and paid less money than I did for my '06. Congrats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts