Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of searching, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2016 981 Cayman S. I bought it "sight unseen" from a non-Porsche dealer some 500 miles away, flew to pick it up, and drove all the back roads to get it home in one of the most exhilarating rides of my life. Funny, I recently watched a Youtube of two friends picking up a Cayman S and they spent the trip lip syncing to the radio. Really? That didn't resemble my trip in the least...

Anyway, buying a car without seeing it probably would've been a challenge had it not been for all the helpful posts in this forum -a few that come to mind are:

1) The link to the Porsche build sheets. It was extremely helpful in understanding the options and comparing car values (based on age, warranty, etc.). I new the cars better than many dealers did. (https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/print.php?vin=WP0AB2A88EK190933).

2) All the recommendations to get a Porsche pre-inspection (PPI) and DME over-rev report. Though pricey, it was reassuring to know the remaining warranty was good and the car wasn’t at all abused (zero over revs!) when purchasing from a non-Porsche dealer. No question these cars can take a lot of abuse, but being so ready for the track, it’s tough to know what someone’s been up to.

3) All the threads & articles bemoaning the lack of a dipstick and the wackiness that can ensue (my car told me to stop driving after 60 miles after the dealer added 10 qts. of oil). After a quick call to the dealer/mechanic that told me how much oil he put it, I had nothing to worry about.

4) All the comments on the Cayman vs. Cayman S and the 981 vs. 718 threads. I agree since they’re all quite different, the only approach is to drive them all to find the one that fits you best (I'll take great pride being called a flat earther as I'm sure do too).

Thanks again for all the great advice. My only regret is not test driving one sooner (like a decade ago). You 981 owners own amazing cars and I hope you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Congrats - and post up some pics of your new car.

As far as checking the oil read the manual, I've never had an issue getting my car to display the oil level after following the proper procedures. Car ( oil temp ) must be up to operating temp, shut car off on a level surface and take your reading. Also if you open up the trunk you won't get a reading for some time as the car thinks you just added oil.

If for some reason you can't get a reading just monitor your oil pressure see the attached pic.

Again, enjoy your 981.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks -I appreciate the comments. Yeah -when all hell wasn't breaking loose on the gages, I figured the car probably wasn't really out of oil.

Here's a few pics of mine (I'm sure you'll approve of the color). Pictures don't do it justice though, Agate really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
First of all, congratulations!

I hope the VIN number you posted isn't of your car. If it is, I hope you "fat fingered" 6 instead of 4 in MY. Finally, I hope they didn't charge you for 2016 MY on a car which VIN states is 2014 MY. Here's how to decode visually Porsche VIN numbers https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/

You can also copy/paste the VIN here to get full configuration, date when produced ... and so on. https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, congratulations!

I hope the VIN number you posted isn't of your car. If it is, I hope you "fat fingered" 6 instead of 4 in MY. Finally, I hope they didn't charge you for 2016 MY on a car which VIN states is 2014 MY. Here's how to decode visually Porsche VIN numbers https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/

You can also copy/paste the VIN here to get full configuration, date when produced ... and so on. https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche
No, the VIN is from a decked out 2014 Racing Yellow Cayman S I didn't pull the trigger on. Thanks for the additional links. Love your Sapphire Blue.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
welcome and nice car. this community convinced me to stay put to my order when i almost gave up from waiting 8 months for the last batches of normally aspirated flat 6 Caymans. i am glad i did because my car puts smile every time i drive.
enjoy but be patient in getting oil temp to 80-85*C before gunning and having fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.