Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owned a P car. Frankly the only reason I want to buy the 981 S is for the F6 Porsche wail. I did the 718s manual test drive and that thing is just mind blowing compared to the 911. Sounds good too by itself without any comparison to the F6 sound and hell it does not sound like any subaru like the reviews say. Sounds more like some rabid psycho animal in a good way. I will never be tracking. Purely for street fun without majorly going over the limit and for spirited driving that type of stuff. Is there any way anyone has been able to get the 918 S to wail at lower rpms (under 3k). There is only so much you can wring it out on the street and the 981 S starts it's wail at like 4.5k rpm unlike my bmw e92/N54 with the oem performance exhaust that is howling like crazy at 3k rpm..I even contemplated going with a base 981 instead of 981 S since some reviews said 2.7 F6 sounds better with PSE and will wail better on street but then I will be stuck with a car that does not have the balls to match the sound. please advise any tips on getting the wail at lower rpm's (workaround for that tall gearing..)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a 2.7, yes there are faster cars, but with this one you can let your car scream without losing your driver's license that quickly.

As some one on this forum said, I would rather drive a "slower" car fast then a fast car slow. (and the base 981 isn't that slow, ok compared to my previous ducati diavel almost all cars are slow)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Never owned a P car. Frankly the only reason I want to buy the 981 S is for the F6 Porsche wail. I did the 718s manual test drive and that thing is just mind blowing compared to the 911. Sounds good too by itself without any comparison to the F6 sound and hell it does not sound like any subaru like the reviews say. Sounds more like some rabid psycho animal in a good way
It's not bad, but nothing like the sound of my CGTS and I don't care if the 718S is faster. My car sounds so beautiful even at 15 mph.

Yes, my 14 Boxster base also sounded pretty damn good!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the 718S manual experience at the Atlanta center for about $500. It's not just the turbo and power with that car. Even the freaking shifter/clutch/brake/suspension feel is far superior to even the base carrera . I did back to back 718 S and the new 911.Considering 918 S for getting over the flat 6 sound itch and then move to 718 S.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
When I did the test drive before buying my new base 981 Cayman, the 2.7Li actually sounded better than 3.4Li S, both non-pse. The oem sports twin tip replacing single oval tip I added later made it even slightly better. I have read same comments on the 2.7L from this forum and other P forums.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Cayman with the 2.7 and PSE, which is a pretty rare option since it's an expensive one to put on a base car.

Depending on how you define fast, it most likely is. And with PSE on, the "wail" really gets obnoxious beginning at about 3000-3500 rpm. Even at idle you would notice a night and day difference with a 718. I've only driven a 718 without PSE as a loaner for a couple of days, but that's where I noticed the most obvious difference. Just idling at a light or in traffic. With PSE I'm sure the 718 is more assertive.

The 2.7 with PSE might be the best sounding sports car short of an exotic. And even then it would hold its own.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Probably any Porsche sports car will have you wailing with delight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
30 Posts

And with PSE on, the "wail" really gets obnoxious beginning at about 3000-3500 rpm. Even at idle you would notice a night and day difference with a 718. I've only driven a 718 without PSE as a loaner for a couple of days....
My loaner 718 boxster base had pse, man that was an irritating drone, I would definitely not get the pse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 3.4L with PSE sounds fantastic especially in sport or sport plus. No drone at all. If you want it quiteer you can turn it off with a simple press of a button. Best of both worlds. When my wife is with me I turn it off!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I even contemplated going with a base 981 instead of 981 S since some reviews said 2.7 F6 sounds better with PSE and will wail better on street but then I will be stuck with a car that does not have the balls to match the sound.
A base 981 will be more than enough "balls" for this
Purely for street fun without majorly going over the limit and for spirited driving that type of stuff.
...and even plenty enough for tracking should you change your mind which I would highly recommend. Or at least some autocrossing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My loaner 718 boxster base had pse, man that was an irritating drone, I would definitely not get the pse.
With my base 981 there is absolutely no drone with PSE off. With both PSE and Sport turned on there is a minor drone at 2000 RPM, so when I'm just cruising I leave PSE off. Some others leave it on and just take the car out of 7th gear which bumps you up to 3000 RPM.

I have also read that the 718 Cayman has a far more pronounced drone which makes sense since the more bass-centric acoustics of the 4 cylinder are completely different than the flat 6 that it (sadly) replaced. If I was in the market for a 718 I would be very careful to make sure I wasn't paying for more of something that isn't all that amazing in the first place. The engine sound of the 718, that is.

I specifically sought out a car with PSE, since like I said once already, it's the best sounding car you can buy without first robbing a bank. My dad has a 911 and last week one of his friends around town was taking cars with him. His friend said that there is someone nearby who has a black Cayman, and man the sounds that car makes is absolutely incredible. Hmmm... wouldn't know how that might be. My dad didn't tell him. When you have a base Cayman with PSE, trust me on this, everyone who likes cars in your town will know yours.

And to read that someone is worried that a modern Porsche sports car "doesn't have enough balls" is actually funny to me. That's like saying a modern President "doesn't tweet enough".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys. based on your responses I think it is best to get the base 981 manual with PSE. i may add the bmc filter for some additional aural ecstacy. I eventually plan to get 718 S once the F6 sound itch wears off. I used to be a 718 S hater like many here but after driving it on track at the Atlanta center I was hooked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've driven base 981 with and without PSE. Personally I like an exhaust note with just enough raspiness (for e.g. e46 m3 is too raspy and metallic). The stock exhaust serves the purpose. PSE although louder dilutes the raspiness. You may want to check them both. One more thing, even the stock exhaust in sport mode makes back fire sounds like PSE although not as loud.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've driven base 981 with and without PSE. Personally I like an exhaust note with just enough raspiness (for e.g. e46 m3 is too raspy and metallic). The stock exhaust serves the purpose. PSE although louder dilutes the raspiness. You may want to check them both. One more thing, even the stock exhaust in sport mode makes back fire sounds like PSE although not as loud.
good point. agree with the e46 raspiness. i loved my bmw N54 performance exhaust until i heard an Aston martin vantage ...AAhhh! .To what lengths we go to please our senses..
G

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like the sound of the flat 6 with PSE turned off too. My only point was to the OPs comment that he's heard that the 2.7 with PDE sounds best of all the Caymans.

It's an expensive button that returns you to your youth. As for the overrun sounds being "there" without PSE on, maybe. But what you get with PSE on is something on an entirely different plane. We're all different, but I can't see why a person wouldn't want it. The reason I ordered it is to make sure mine is the first to sell when I'm ready to buy something else. PSE makes a person want your car that much more. It just does.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the sound of the flat 6 with PSE turned off too. My only point was to the OPs comment that he's heard that the 2.7 with PDE sounds best of all the Caymans.

It's an expensive button that returns you to your youth. As for the overrun sounds being "there" without PSE on, maybe. But what you get with PSE on is something on an entirely different plane. We're all different, but I can't see why a person wouldn't want it. The reason I ordered it is to make sure mine is the first to sell when I'm ready to buy something else. PSE makes a person want your car that much more. It just does.
I agree. It's nice to have but, I am trying to say that it's not absolutely necessary. base 981 has an excellent stock exhaust. I also agree that when it's time to sell, PSE cars will be preferred.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Frankly, the flat 6 doesn't wail until well into 6,000 rpm range - IMO. It doesn't matter if it is 2.7 or higher, at those rpm you are in jail unless you are in 2nd gear. Don't ask how I know, almost got nailed doing 90 in 60, in the corner, because I just couldn't lift, upshift and slow down - had to hear the music from about 6,000 all the way to 7,600. It is a dangerous thing. I wanted to name it Lorelei for that very reason and get a license plate with that name, but that got nixed by then-Boss.

If pleasure and driving mostly speed limits are all you are after, you will hardly beat 981 with anything on the wrong side of $200,000 - IMO. Doesn't matter if that 981 is 2.7 or 3.4 for that kind of use. PSE is also a must for me, but I do understand that others are put off with it. I guarantee you that only ONE pass under an overpass in 1st gear and release throttle at 5,000 rpm will get you frantically pulling checkbook and begging them to take your money :) This with both PSE and SPORT button ON. Don't forget you have 3 more modes when you do have PSE and they all sound different enough that you can tell the difference immediately.

Good luck with your hunt!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Frankly, the flat 6 doesn't wail until well into 6,000 rpm range - IMO. It doesn't matter if it is 2.7 or higher, at those rpm you are in jail unless you are in 2nd gear. Don't ask how I know, almost got nailed doing 90 in 60, in the corner, because I just couldn't lift, upshift and slow down - had to hear the music from about 6,000 all the way to 7,600. It is a dangerous thing. I wanted to name it Lorelei for that very reason and get a license plate with that name, but that got nixed by then-Boss.

If pleasure and driving mostly speed limits are all you are after, you will hardly beat 981 with anything on the wrong side of $200,000 - IMO. Doesn't matter if that 981 is 2.7 or 3.4 for that kind of use. PSE is also a must for me, but I do understand that others are put off with it. I guarantee you that only ONE pass under an overpass in 1st gear and release throttle at 5,000 rpm will get you frantically pulling checkbook and begging them to take your money :) This with both PSE and SPORT button ON. Don't forget you have 3 more modes when you do have PSE and they all sound different enough that you can tell the difference immediately.

Good luck with your hunt!
TY sir ! You have understood my predicament with the true Porsche F6 wailing at redline approaching rpm's and love your choice of license plate name ..Lorelei

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.