Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Frankly, the flat 6 doesn't wail until well into 6,000 rpm range - IMO. It doesn't matter if it is 2.7 or higher, at those rpm you are in jail unless you are in 2nd gear. Don't ask how I know, almost got nailed doing 90 in 60, in the corner, because I just couldn't lift, upshift and slow down - had to hear the music from about 6,000 all the way to 7,600. It is a dangerous thing. I wanted to name it Lorelei for that very reason and get a license plate with that name, but that got nixed by then-Boss.

If pleasure and driving mostly speed limits are all you are after, you will hardly beat 981 with anything on the wrong side of $200,000 - IMO. Doesn't matter if that 981 is 2.7 or 3.4 for that kind of use. PSE is also a must for me, but I do understand that others are put off with it. I guarantee you that only ONE pass under an overpass in 1st gear and release throttle at 5,000 rpm will get you frantically pulling checkbook and begging them to take your money :) This with both PSE and SPORT button ON. Don't forget you have 3 more modes when you do have PSE and they all sound different enough that you can tell the difference immediately.

Good luck with your hunt!
Again, I have the base 2.7 engine, but when I'm in first gear and I let the revs climb at a measured pace, it's right around the 3000-3500 RPM mark where I am able to hear an obvious change in tone with PSE on vs. PSE off. I'm not saying it's "wailing", it's just at a point where the engine is beginning to make some music.

This brings me to one other small plus I see in a PSE car, and that is that the owner doesn't have to have the car in the extreme upper rev range to feel like they're having laugh-out-loud fun. I don't mean to turn this into a "low end torque" debate like is so common with 718 and 981 owners. All I'm saying is that, on balance, with a PSE equipped car you have no need to "wind it out" or "WOT" the car in order to raise the hair on the back of your neck. Perhaps I should be embarrassed to say this on a forum like this but I've only floored my car once to cause it to hit the red line- I always shift before 6,000 RPM at the most, since toque there is plenty enough for public roads and the sounds the car is making are crazy awesome enough. So I feel like a PSE car may get driven differently, overall.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I've driven both the base and 3.4 with PSE, and the latter sounds better, although only marginally so, similar to a big block vs small block. Only 2.7 owners say it sounds better. He he. Anyway, the engine starts 'wailing' at around 4K rpm indeed, but the 'super wail' higher up is even better;). And at least with the 3.4, PSE drones in both open and closed modes, but as menitoned, it's mostly only in 7th gear, so it's just a matter of downshifting to 6th (approx the same ratio as the manual 6th), and problem solved. I have to say the sound with PSE on is not that nice below 3K rpm. Or maybe better said, it's just in credible above that:).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
just called local dealer for quote on PSE install. Its about $4k max parts and labor worst case if I dont find one with PSE installed. This is a good time for cayman buyers like me who like both the 718 S and 981 S. Buy the depreciated 981 S manual for about $50k and use for 3 years while the 718 S depreciates similarly to trade later..

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven't been on Suncoast's website in awhile, but last I was there they were running a pretty good sale on the 981 PSE kit. I think I may have also read that the 981S is pre-wired for the console button, too. Not the base car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I haven't been on Suncoast's website in awhile, but last I was there they were running a pretty good sale on the 981 PSE kit. I think I may have also read that the 981S is pre-wired for the console button, too. Not the base car.
man that console reminds me of the pain of hitting those buttons every time you start the car. Even the 718 S does not remember settings. i am planning on installing the tdesign memory module

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've driven both the base and 3.4 with PSE, and the latter sounds better, although only marginally so, similar to a big block vs small block. Only 2.7 owners say it sounds better.
I'm a 3.4 owner and I think the 2.7 sounds better. But everyone should decide for themselves, preferably in person, but if not this may help some...

View attachment 2015 Cayman (2.7L, standard exhaust).mp3
View attachment 2015 Cayman (2.7L, PSE).mp3

View attachment 2015 Cayman S (3.4L, standard exhaust).mp3
View attachment 2015 Cayman GTS (3.4L, PSE).mp3

View attachment 2017 718 Boxster (2.0L turbo, standard exhaust).mp3
View attachment 2017 718 Boxster S (2.5L turbo, standard exhaust).mp3

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well that takes care of only 2.7 owners saying it sounds better.

I've never driven a 3.4 with PSE so I can't comment. If the sounds aren't the same, which apparently they are not, it would stand to reason that there would be differences of opinion.

I chose the base car because I had no interest in any track use, so even if the 3.4 car sounded better it wouldn't have caused me to spend the extra money for the additional outer limits of performance.

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
any tips on getting the wail at lower rpm's
No, the car is meant to be driven on the cam at higher RPMS, not dawdling around at 3K. Actually, its always "wailing" but make the noise louder at higher rpms. More explosions.

Its not a lumpy V8. Read https://web.archive.org/web/20160421063912/http://www.caranddriver.com/features/this-is-why-various-engine-types-sound-so-different-feature unfortunately, they pulled the charts for the fast fourier transforms.

The exhaust has nothing to do with the sounds. Its just noise. There is reason the sound symposers are membranes that pipe the air intake and engine noises in to the cabin, not the exhaust. Exhaust burble is fake to emulate raw fuel dumps. The "wail" is the engine sounds. Own the cars long enough and you come to appreciate the sounds without listen to exhaust sounds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think a long-term Porsche owner can appreciate all the sounds. I know I can. Maybe PSE isn't a cool feature for a purist, I don't know since I'm not a purist. But I'm not embarrassed to say it adds some good cheap(ish) fun for me when I'm in the mood for it. It can always be turned off anyway, so I don't see any downside to it.

I do feel a little foolish for thinking the cracks and burbles that are coming from the tailpipe are real. I had no idea.

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
I do feel a little foolish for thinking the cracks and burbles that are coming from the tailpipe are real. I had no idea.
C'mon, are you trolling me? Of course they are fake. Its all done with the ECU. Click on sport +. Dumps raw fuel into the exhaust. Burble burble. Make it sound "cool" like a race car.

Sound is VERY important in the development of the 991/981. The car is built around it. Read https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/acoustic-design-new-porsche-911-sounds-great

Tuning the sound of the new 911 started in the early concept phase. The structure and size of manifold, pipes, catalytic converters and silencers were all simulated virtually before they were ever turned into metal. “No decisions were finalised until we’d simulated all sorts of variants on the computer, then created prototypes which were evaluated on the test bench and on the vehicle,” said Pfäfflin.

This is serious stuff to these guys.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
thanks for the sound files. 2.7L with PSE is the clear winner. I doubt anything subjective here
EVERYTHING is subjective! For every person that likes one thing, there will be someone else that doesnt like it and likes something else. Whether it be sound, color, can't live without options, which model is best or even Porsche itself vs. another car brand. There is no such things as the Department of Porsche exhaust sound testing that has done controlled laboratory testing with every person and come to any objective conclusion of what is "the clear winner" based on the scientific method.:)

If so we wouldn't have 718 threads that go on for hundreds of pages with the exact same arguments and comments over and over ad nauseum. There is no "winner" in any of this, nor does there need to be as long as we each have what we love.

·
Registered
731 Posts
To me, the 718 doesn't sound as nice as the 981, not even close, but definitely sounds better than many other cars I've heard.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think there are too many people who think that a flat 4 sounds better than a flat 6.

But Porsche was probably smart to test that theory in the real world. It'll be interesting to find out what the base engine is in the next generation Boxster/Cayman. If Porsche leaves the engine more or less unchanged, I wonder if the engine sound will me synthesized through the speakers in the manner of BMW.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't think there are too many people who think that a flat 4 sounds better than a flat 6.

But Porsche was probably smart to test that theory in the real world. It'll be interesting to find out what the base engine is in the next generation Boxster/Cayman. If Porsche leaves the engine more or less unchanged, I wonder if the engine sound will me synthesized through the speakers in the manner of BMW.
Oh man I hope they don't do that!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If the sounds aren't the same, which apparently they are not, it would stand to reason that there would be differences of opinion.
I found those files indistinguishable, testament how close they are (as I mentioned), so indeed a matter of opinion, now that one 3.4 guy liked the 2.7 better;). For me, it's a little 'wimpier' if you will. Plus as somebody said, the car makes more noise than go, but not a slow car at all. Bottom line is the base 981 is the best value for having that incredible H6 sound. But I wanted all the performance goodies, and the base just didn't have enough balls for me, but the GTS does. And I was used to 400 and 500+ cars, but don't really needed that much. The GTS is the best performance value if you want a bit more than a base, but yes, you had to pay dearly for that difference. But that's the beauty of choices;). Oh, and as a final comment, those files on the 718 are absolute crap. I know they don't sound good compared to our H6s, but those files make them sound a lot worse than they are IMO.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm one of the minority who thinks PSE in the 981s actually masks the engine symphony. With PSE on, the extra sound is just obnoxious exhaust noise - especially the horrible farting (grow up car manufacturers, please). The real wail comes from the flat six mechanicals in the last 750 RPM before redline.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm one of the minority who thinks PSE in the 981s actually masks engine sounds. With PSE on, the extra sound is just obnoxious noise - especially the horrible farting (grow up car manufacturers, please). The real wail comes from the flat six mechanicals in the last 750 RPM before redline.
A lot of the exhaust sounds, almost all actually, whether you have PSE or not will be mitigated by rolling up the windows since the sounds are emitted from the tailpipe. The horrible farting sounds can almost be completely eliminated by turning PSE off. PSE is an option to use when (if?) you're in the mood for it. Also, there's been more than one 981GTS owner who took extreme measures to remove the sound symposer, so there are some people who don't appreciate the "wail" as much as Porsche though they would, which is to say that more is better.

Try and sell a car to a guy who just test drove another person's car with PSE on. It's not a cheap feature, but it's reliable resale insurance, at the least.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Again, I have the base 2.7 engine, but when I'm in first gear and I let the revs climb at a measured pace, it's right around the 3000-3500 RPM mark where I am able to hear an obvious change in tone with PSE on vs. PSE off. I'm not saying it's "wailing", it's just at a point where the engine is beginning to make some music.
For the sake of OP, he also needs to know what happens at 3,500 - 4,000 rpm. If you press the throttle past about 50% of the travel and your rpm gets to 4,000 rpm (roughly, thereabouts), you will start hearing intake behind your shoulders change the tone completely. It becomes way louder, more bass in it and all around meaner sounding - this is regardless of PSE, I have been told it is about Variocam kicking in, but I could be wrong. Important thing is that you have to have throttle in - not WOT, just deliberately step on it. Just revving past 4,000 with low throttle input won't do it.

All I'm saying is that, on balance, with a PSE equipped car you have no need to "wind it out" or "WOT" the car in order to raise the hair on the back of your neck. Perhaps I should be embarrassed to say this on a forum like this but I've only floored my car once to cause it to hit the red line- I always shift before 6,000 RPM at the most, since toque there is plenty enough for public roads and the sounds the car is making are crazy awesome enough. So I feel like a PSE car may get driven differently, overall.
Yes, the sound does change with PSE even at very low rpm. It pops, it burbles on throttle lift even at 3,000 rpm - the lower the gear, the better it is (or worse, for those who hate it :) ). But the opera doesn't start until about 6,000 for my ears, and I do understand everybody has different ears and preferences. I normally shift at about 5,000 rpm in spirited drive. But if I do get close to 6,000, then it is very, very hard to resist going all the way to 7,600. As I said, I almost got nailed because of it - fortunately I saw the trooper waiting when I was right at the apex and was able to slow down to under 60 by the track out. He couldn't have clocked me, but I am 100% positive he heard me before even seeing me :)

By the way, I have a favorite overpass to drive under and it is perfectly placed so that you are still in 1st gear when you get under. With PSE and Sport ON in 1st and at 5,000+ rpm, I will not exaggerate when I say that, when you lift off throttle, it sounds like an automatic rifle firing with your windows down. Yes, that loud. Yes, very immature. Yes, extremely entertaining ;)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts