Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my uncles is a boat enthusiast. And for quite some time now he’s been trading in his boats for a new one, which is usually 2 feet longer. He described his need to keep upgrading his boats as “2 foot-itis”

I’ve had the same affliction when it comes to cars, always wanting to upgrade to something better.

My very first car was a tercel and 3 months later I was in a celica and went upwards from there.

The 981CS is the pinnacle of my automotive ascent to date, being the highest end and most expensive of any of my cars. But I think it’s cured me of my desire to go any higher.

I have never experienced as much joy driving a car as much as I have in my 981CS. My first drive in a PDK 981BS was eye opening. I had never grinned in a test drive like that before, never had I wanted a car so much (and I am a manual guy!) I ordered a 981CS manual three weeks later and have enjoyed the car immensely since. No car has ever made me want to take joy drives, the longer routes or left me lusting for the next drive in the same way.

But while I still enjoy driving the car, I’ve realized that it has been normalized to a large extent for me. A car that I loved to drive so much and so strongly has become more ordinary. Now that I’m used to the car, I am not sure I can say it brings me that much MORE enjoyment than my prior car which was a 2007 BMW Z4 COUPE 3.0SI that its extra cost is worth it.

I think the 981 has brought with it a crystal clear example of the law of diminishing returns when it comes to cars, for me at least.

The Z4 I got for 41 K CDN all in 2009, it was a CPO, 2007 with warranty until 2013 with free service. I sold it in 2013 for 25k, so it cost me $16000 over 4 years of ownership.

I have been looking at trading in the 981CS in the last few months, most likely for a C7 Z51, and it looks like it will end up costing me about 16000 in depreciation over 2 years.

So essentially the 981 cost me double the Z4, or about 8000 a year vs 4000 a year. So when I think about this, I wonder is the 981CS so much better than the Z4 that it’s worth $300 more a month than the Z4?

I don’t regret getting the 981CS and I am glad I experienced it. But the 981 is just so good and brings so much joy I just don’t think a jump up the automotive totem pole will bring an increase in enjoyment that is worth the increased cost.

I went through this analysis fairly recently when I was contemplating a vantage GT. It looked like that puppy would cost me about $10000 more a year than my CS. I knew that it wouldn’t bring me enough more joy that it would make it worth it (I still wonder if I would even bring more driving joy at all, given the 981’s amazing joy inducing ability)

So I guess I’ve reached a point where, that for those of us of relatively modest means who have to prioritize our purchases, I think the sweet spot for automobiles is the $45000 to $75000 range. You can get an amazing car at that price range that will bring you a lot of joy. When you jump up from there into more serious money, I don’t think you’ll get a proper return on that investment.

Anyhow, a pretty rambling post, but this community is one of the only ones who might kinda get what I am saying. :crazy:

I used to daydream about my next move up the automotive totem pole, with the vantage GT or the new AMG GT being cars I was personally contemplating. But I think I’ve come to realize that I’ve pretty much reached the sweet spot on the totem pole and that any move upwards in the end isn’t really worth it, for one of modest means.

So in the end, the 981, in a roundabout way, may have actually saved me money in the end, how many can say that?:hilarious:

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just want to point out 1 piece of your math from the 981and the z4... The z4 had its first set of depreciation from first owner. If you want to compare costs to costs you should use the actual price of the z4 when new, not cpo. A cpo 981 would also provide some savings over first owner which translates to an overall lower in costs each year. Just to help compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just want to point out 1 piece of your math from the 981and the z4... The z4 had its first set of depreciation from first owner. If you want to compare costs to costs you should use the actual price of the z4 when new, not cpo. A cpo 981 would also provide some savings over first owner which translates to an overall lower in costs each year. Just to help compare apples to apples.
fair point except that I bought a bare bones 981CS new because I knew CPO examples would be more expensive (loaded with options) than my 981CS was new, and I was right, if I look at the CPO 981S's they are all priced above my CS new...so I think I've done almost as well on limiting depreciation on a 981CS as I could with a 2 year old CPO...

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
The thing is, with 981 you' ve reached the point where law of diminishing returns kicks in hard. To get all around better car (with handling being big part of equation for me) - you need to double or triple the price. Yes, you can get more expensive cars in 100K+ segment, but they will be not really better, if you not just looking for more expensive leather or more HP.

Reactions: baege

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
When we buy our Porsches we do the math only twice, and twice only. Once when pay for them and another when we modify them. When we sell them we do the math to pay for the next Porsche. And that's where the 2nd cycle begins.

If you want to do the math for sports cars, then you should stay away from all sports cars. Sportcars owners are not rational people. Most of us are passionate and the rest are just crazy.

We do have concerns of course, we are not stupid after all. Our concerns are always whether we ordered the right options for our Porsches, or should we have added more.

We do have regrets too, we are not perfect all. Our regrets are always whether we waited too long for the next model or not.

What I want to say is, the only way is up. If your 981 isn't hitting the spot anymore then it's an indication that you need to consider a GTS, GT4, 911, turbo... or a Panamera, Cayenne/Macan. Oh, and you don't need to be monogamous with cars. You can have as many Porsches as you like in your garage ;)

I hope I cheered you up :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
It may be a temporary relief for the sports car itch, at least until the next model comes out, or until you decide to switch from 6MT to PDK or vice versa.

However, there are other categories of cars which are worth owning as well, so plenty of scope to keep thinking about cars...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think that basically I am at the point that I wonder, if my BS is this good, maybe a 911 with it's higher horsepower/torque would be even better? And yet every opinion I read, from folks who are really open and honest about Porsches says that the 981 is the true best all around sports car that Porsche makes. Even Porsche, in its own way, acknowledges that they keep the HP down on the 981 because the 911 is their "marquee" car. Yet they imply that the 981 really is the best "sports car" they make. I suspect I will keep this car past warranty and see about mods to up the HP/torque once warranty concerns cease to exist.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And yet every opinion I read, from folks who are really open and honest about Porsches says that the 981 is the true best all around sports car that Porsche makes.
I agree with that 100%. I was lucky enough to go to the roadshow a couple of years ago and was able to drive both the 911 and Cayman on the track at the event. I knew right then that would be our next car. The 911 was just too "big". The cayman was so much more enjoyable to drive. It just fit. I don't think about a GT-R or even an R8 anymore. I just enjoy it. To be honest, I loved my S2000 years ago and my Mini JCW. And the only thing I would consider now is adding a Mini GP to my collection. I'll be keeping the Cayman for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
So I'm sorry if this seems a little harsh but what exactly is the point the OP is making? I get that when we acquire something thrilling, no matter how special that thing seems at first, over time familiarity takes off the edge. After that I'm lost. The financial notes don't compute as pointed out by q5ka above. Is the OP still going to trade the 981 for a C7 or is the 981 truly the value pinnacle so he'll keep it and in fact "save" the depreciation by not trading out?

So what's the answer? Has the 981 taken the edge off two-foot-itis? (A boat owners disease I know all too well.). Or is there. C7 for baege in the near future?

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
From the title, I thought this was going to be another PDK v. 6MT thread. :burnout:

·
Registered
106 Posts
For me (questionable financial comparisons aside) I do get what the OP means.

The truth is that (as Beaverlake said) Pareto’s Rule applies to most things. We hanker after something, con ourselves into believing we must have it, buy it and then slowly
realise it’s not that much better than what went before.
However, for me and the OP it seems, the 981 transcends this theory, as it’s actually a LOT better than any car we’ve ever had.
Also, and this is the crucial bit, to get anything that is significantly better, I’d need to shell out a disproportionate amount of money. To some extent this was borne out for me last week. My new but relatively modest spec 981 was in to get a few minor rattles sorted. The courtesy car was a £65k BGTS with plenty of spec. We’re talking in the region of £20k more in purchase price, but for me the essence of what I want from a car is totally satisfied by my “base” 981. In short, I’m so happy I did not shell out on “stuff” that does not really add to the 981 experience (I wish to point out this is my opinion, and I’m not denigrating anyone else’s choices)
The same logic can be applied to paying out, say another £35 – 40k for a 911. Would it REALLY improve my Porsche experience pro rata?

Personally I doubt it.

Having said all that, where the OP’s logic goes a bit wobbly for me, is why swap the Cayman? Just keep it!

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Interesting thread..........some things definitely resonated with me. We have owned well in excess of 40 cars. They have run the gamut and included Audi S4, E46 M3, C5 Corvette, 04 GTO, Mini S, Audi TT 2nd Gen...............I finally 'came to my senses' when I bought an 08 CS 6MT. During the three years I owned it, I seriously test drove an Audi TTRS and a 997 TT both with the intentions of a potential buy. After test driving, I found my 08 CS more to my liking, still. I did, however, trade for a Cayman R which I drove for a year. Then, I got 'practical' and rationalized that maybe as I was in my late 60s it was time to start winding down. I got a Mk6 Golf R.....that lasted 5 months and got my current 981. Side story on the Golf R...........my wife said to me, 'you miss your Cayman don't you'? She was right. The 981, for me, is the best car of the well over 40 cars owned including the first two Caymans. Oh, and I looked at a Jag F type...........nope, still like the 981. So, for me unless someone really, really discovers something unique (or Porsche really messes up), the next car in a few years will be another Cayman................

·
Registered
186 Posts
I always thought the boat dilemma was called "4 foot fever" ...

Having gone through half a dozen cars at a rate of close to 1 every 2 years, I recently enjoyed driving sport sedans, sport wagons (highly modified Audi A4 then S4) and even had a 7 month relationship with an Audi RS4. I ended up settling on an Audi TTS (modified to provide 320 HP) for a few years before being invited to a local 981 event. All it took to decide what my next car would be was to compare my TTS to a 981 on the same track (two track days were 10 days apart). I'd say my tastes and priorities in cars has changed over time and the mid engine handling is what currently has "turned my crank". Although the winter car will change at some point soon (loving the Macan), I can't imagine swaying too far from a 981 mid engine design ...

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
The 981's are a pretty -tongue in cheek- amazing bang for your buck. Example - As I'm pulling into a parking garage on Monday, there is a detailing shop in the entrance. The detailing guy...who is working on a recent model 911 Turbo...stops....turns around and stares at my car as I'm struggling to get my parking-garage ticket from those damn machines designed for SUV's.

I hear, "Buddy....amazing car. Amazing." I'm like, 'thanks...even though you're detailing a car that cost 2.5x the cost of mine.' (I did wave and give the thumbs up).

I have to say I also owned a Z4MC. It was pretty cool. The ride was so rough that around town it caused my then fiance to vomit twice while riding in it. For me, it was bad enough that I traded it in on a 135i a year early and took a bath financially. The 981 *smokes* the Z4MC IMHO. By a mile. Maybe if the Z4MC was strictly a track car....then much more even. But DD....no way.

Personally...I have no desire for anything other than to ADD a late 70's/early 80's 911 that I could just have as a car to wrench on for grins. The 981 has really made me a happy camper.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Get a motorcycle. That'll stop most any 'itis.

Seriously though. Having gone from a 987CS, to a 997.2 ... to adding the 981 in a couple of months ... they Cayman platform is amazing. I must admit though that I'm finally getting comfortable with the 997.2 after almost a year. Not sure I'd ever want less power but 300-400HP is plenty for a 3,000 lbs car. Precise handling and good quality interior with great styling. What more could you want?

Super crazy scary speed (motorcycle) or exclusivity and that's gonna cost you money for maybe not something much better. When you have money to burn exclusivity has its benefits. Also, exclusivity protects against depreciations sometimes.

Anyway, we're lucky to be able to do drive any of these cays.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My justification math was that the 991 Turbo S on the floor for $180k is not 300% better than my Boxster 2.7. It's 20% better.

If you crave insane speed, the best buy is a Tesla P85D for $105k, less a $10k tax credit for US/California.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I don't get it. You love the car or don't love it? You were thrilled, then thought it boring like your previous cars, then at the end you love it? Maybe you are just fickle and get bored easily?

Regarding CPO, there are many other factors besides depreciation that make a car or model sweet spot.

+1 that if you are looking to maximize return on financial investment, this is the wrong business.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I agree with that 100%. I was lucky enough to go to the roadshow a couple of years ago and was able to drive both the 911 and Cayman on the track at the event. I knew right then that would be our next car. The 911 was just too "big". The cayman was so much more enjoyable to drive. It just fit. I don't think about a GT-R or even an R8 anymore. I just enjoy it. To be honest, I loved my S2000 years ago and my Mini JCW. And the only thing I would consider now is adding a Mini GP to my collection. I'll be keeping the Cayman for quite some time.

Agree!!

Traded out of our 2010 Mini JCW (with factory sports suspension and almost every other option available). Our 17 year old son just picked up a Honda S2000!

Can't wait to go cruising with the tops down this spring and BEYOND!:banana:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts