Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a double ivy league educated corporate lawyer who was recently laid off midway through my career from a very prestigious firm in the Northeast. After years of sleeping under my desk on bad nights, rolling home at 11:00pm on a good night and working through weekend after weekend to the point that I would go months without seeing a single friend, I have been forced to realize that I don't have much to show for my workaholic existence over the last several years. I have a precious few close friends, but no family, or even a girlfriend, because no well-adjusted woman would put up with my schedule. I have forgotten how to do everything that used to bring me pleasure, from cooking, to playing guitar, to taking care of someone else or even myself beyond just surviving every day. I do, however, have one thing in my life that I truly love, and when I say love, I mean weak in the knees, heart pounding through my chest, head spinning with endorphins, inexplicable electricity coursing through my veins love, my 2009 Porsche Cayman S (aka the "911 killer"). I remember when I bought it, the introductory pamphlet that came with it was replete with references to all the disastrous events that could transpire after a "sustained period of driving with gusto." I couldn't think of a more apt analogy for the state of my life now that I have finally hit that wall that brought me to my knees after years of living my life faster and harder (from the work that was my life to the partying in those brief moments when work allowed) than most normal people would ... or probably should. So, I'm getting in my car, the only thing in my life that makes me truly glad to be alive despite everything, and I am driving a three month lap around America with a different kind of gusto that is not about hitting the next hurdle or grabbing the next brass ring or partying through the night just for a moment of relief, but about experiencing and appreciating this beautiful country and the absolute privilege that it is to just be alive in it with my health and one of the most amazing cars ever built.

More...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its nice to hear you are finally taking time for yourself! And what a nice way to do it! In the Cayman! Good luck and Im cheering you on.

Its really cool your doing a blog and taking us with you as I might do this trip someday.

CHEERS!

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
ahhh...the open road...may it take you in directions you haven't even dreamed of....the beauty of life is everywhere....keep your eyes open and you shall see...along with the twisty curvies to make that Croc bite like it should

Enjoy the ride....but most of all enjoy the life.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
croctor put it eloquently, "go for it". i understand your situation...for 13 years i worked at our state legislature (10 in the house and 3 in the senate) and when the legislature was in session, i hardly left the building (i joined a nearby gym so that i could shower as it was a long drive home (relatively speaking)). i too lost contact with many of my friends. i finally decided that enough was enough. now, although i'm still a public servant, i'm in a position that allows me to at least take longer drives in my cayman and to horse around with my dogs.

look forward to reading about your adventures as i'll be living vicariously through you.

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for your support! If any of you feel like officially following my blog by clicking on the follow button and putting in your email, I would really appreciate it. I would also love some more twitter followers if you or your friends are on twitter. I need to get some momentum going! At the Porsche Driving School in Leeds, AL. Pit stop at the hotel for a quick shower, then off for a private tour of the facility. I will blog about it tonight.
Thanks again for all the nice messages, k

P.S. My Cayman is definitely beautiful. People always think it was so much more expensive then it was, I think it's all about the wheels and the brown interior ;-)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Good for you...stopping to smell the roses...I'm sure it'll create life-long memories. Sounds like you've already come through Georgia? Is your car Slate Grey over Natural Brown (like mine)? Take care, stay safe, and have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I think that's great. Not that you lost your job obviously but that you're able to travel around the country. That is something I would love to do one day and plan to do. Like you, I'm a workaholic. After about a week, I start feeling the itch to go back to work. :(

Enjoy and I can't wait to see the pics.

-Moto

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Good for you. That grey with natural brown color combo is very rich looking. They'll think it's some snazzy lawyer driving it. :D

I am curious about that CB Radio though. Not found in the list of genuine Porsche options. :eek:

I'm following you on Twitter to find out about your adventures through the dark Porsche-less corners of our land. Safe travels!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Sounds like an amazing adventure. Let us know when you make it back to the Northeast, we can put together a nice drive with other like-minded Cayman owners!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Love your writing style Ketch. Look forward to living vicariously thru you on your journey. Lots of luck and be safe.
Fellow lawyer following you. Enjoy the ride. Be sure and let us know how the Cayman stacks up as a road trip car.

·
Cayman Blogger
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just saw all these comments, so:
Jeff, It's actually meteor instead of slate grey, but we definitely have similar looks going. Great minds think alike ;-) I just back tracked to GA last night and will be in Atlanta until end of the day Monday or early Tuesday. Doing the autocross event in Marietta tomorrow.

Moto, My fellow workaholic, I promise that you won't miss work as long as you are in your car at least half of every day.

Engnr1, The CB is actually a handheld, figured it would be handy on this trip to back up my K40 which only works when cops have their radars switched on. The truckers tell you where the quiet ones are hiding. Saved me a couple times already.

Pete, I'll let you know when I am headed backed to the northeast. Right now I'm thinking it'll be around the last week of June.

YoungTurk, Funny you should ask. My first night in Rehoboth beach I got a long lecture from an older guy who had done a big roadtrip in college in a truck and he kept looking at my car and shaking his head and saying, "oh, no, you can't do it in that thing. No way, definitely gonna have to sell it and get a truck. yep. gonna need a truck." His reasoning was that (a) many of the roads in the Nat'l Parks aren't paved (but that was a long time ago) and (b) I wouldn't have enough space to keep everything I collected along the way. All through NC when we kept getting the carpeting sandy or when I would buy a souvenir and not be able to fit it anywhere, my friend E would say, "Yep. Definitely should've gotten a truck." That said, she wouldn't have traded the ventilated seats for anything. I am loving being in my car on this trip. It makes all the driving so easy and fun, but I am definitely stopping every week or so to mail whatever I bought that week back home. No regrets though, would never sign up to do this trip in my grand cherokee, just wouldn't be half the fun.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Ketch,
Good to know about the meteor - it looks good too!
If you can spare any time tomorrow to come to more extreme north Georgia - I could show you our best roads. I dare say you won't believe how good they are. I'll send you a PM now.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I drove 12,000 around North America in 10 weeks when I graduated from college back in '77. I bought a new BMW 2002tii just for that trip. That car definitely had more storage than a Cayman, but it was no truck! Best part was we were able to fit a large cooler in the back seat for the beer. The car wasn't air conditioned and the beer kept us going during those long slogs in the southwest. Longest single stretch was New Orleans to Flagstaff, AZ in 28 hours. That was 1,400 miles. We stopped a few times for food. We also made it a habit of crashing the nicest hotels we could find to take a swim (e.g., "bath") in their pools. It made for an interesting side note to our trip.

Wishing you a safe and fun adventure. For us, the best parts were the unexpected ones, and there were lots of them!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.