Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes - I know that summer tires are better, from a performance standpoint, than all season tires. But I don't plan on tracking my car; it's my daily driver. And I have a set of winter tires/wheels for the truly cold months (November - April). Don't get me wrong - I don't drive like an old person going to church on a Sunday morning; I enjoy a spirited drive on a daily basis. But I'm not regularly trying to get the back end loose or power sliding through turns. Nor am I taking the car much over 80 most days.

The PS2s on my 987.2 right now have a UTQG rating of 220; and a new set of PS4S tires will come with a UTQG rating of 300. But if I go with AS tires, then I can get UTQG ratings of 500 (Pilot Sport A/S 3+) or 560 (Continental ExtremeContact DWS), and for less money. Interestingly, the PSAS3+ don't come in 265/40R18, the normal rear tire size; but they do come in 255/40R18. Less contact area, I know, which also translates to even more degradation in performance. But, again, I'm not tracking the car.

So - tell me why I shouldn't, in this situation, go with A/S tires.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Your car, get what you want. My 2c would be to stick to factory sizes though. Going to a narrower rear directionally reduces rear grip relative to front. These cars are pretty benign and set up from the factory to understeer at the limit which is easier for typical drivers to manage. Less grip in the rear could make the car more likely to oversteer. Probably would be fine but something to consider.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m curious about this also. I live in the Midwest where we get 20-30 degree days for weeks into December before we see any snow and would like to drive my car. I have 19” wheels and would like to know what size and all-season tires someone would recommend. I won’t drive it in the snow. I have another vehicle for that. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I’m curious about this also. I live in the Midwest where we get 20-30 degree days for weeks into December before we see any snow and would like to drive my car. I have 19” wheels and would like to know what size and all-season tires someone would recommend. I won’t drive it in the snow. I have another vehicle for that. Thanks

Tirerack is a good source for info. Just search by vehicle. I think the Contis are popular. Generally I would stick to factory sizes for street use.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went with AS3+s on my 981 and went 225/45/18 and 255/45/18 - 10mm less front and back. It's a real shame they don't come in oem sizes, but this keeps the correct ratio front to back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tirerack is a good source for info. Just search by vehicle. I think the Contis are popular. Generally I would stick to factory sizes for street use.
I’ve tried going this route before and they only show tires for summer and winter. They never show all-season tires. Surely someone here runs them on 19” wheels?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I’ve tried going this route before and they only show tires for summer and winter. They never show all-season tires. Surely someone here runs them on 19” wheels?

Ah sorry about that. The OP has a 987.2 which has 35 profile 19in tires from the factory. You have a 981 which has 40 profile 19in tires. There are a couple of all seasons listed for the 987.2 but not the 981. Could check the relative diameters to see how close they are. Perhaps another 981 owner can comment.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,804 Posts
Understood. This was a first-order search, and provided here as basic information. You're encouraged to perform a more detailed search, which might yield the information you seek. If not, a call to your local Porsche parts counter should suffice.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Understood. This was a first-order search, and provided here as basic information. You're encouraged to perform a more detailed search, which might yield the information you seek. If not, a call to your local Porsche parts counter should suffice.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Sorry - meant to include the :D emoji at the end of my post. I find it a bit funny that Porsche thinks only vehicles with 4 doors (or 5 if you include the hatch) should ever have all season tires on them....

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I am thinking of a second set of wheels and tires for use on long road trips, the car I plan to buy has Pilot Cup-2 tires, as great as they are there won't be much left after a couple of 3000 mile jaunts across the country...

I think for this situation a 3-season tires makes sense, then add the shoulder seasons and occasional nice winter day drive and why not?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Colnago 1331- I have a unique set of wheels/tires that I can use for my daily/weekly drives. Excluding a set of Hoosier A7's for Autocross, I have RE71R's and Michelin PS4's, all in three sets in the same size and tire walls. 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r. What I found is the Michelins are more comfortable driving around. They are a also heavier tire which is ok for daily driveability. Now comes the issue. I have become accustomed to the behavior of the RE71R's especially in the rear. They simply stick to the road without need of any nannies, while the Michelins do not. The MP4S's slide around much more so I use my PSM occasionally. Like getting on the gas on a curved on ramp in 2nd gear, the RE71R's will stand a full gas peddle, while the Michelins start to slide as the rpm/hp/torque goes up and the traction circle changes. The Michelins simply do not have the same size traction circle. The downside of RE71R's is the tire tread noise. Otherwise I would recommend these for your second set of tires. I would recommend a wider f wheel 9 in and 10 in in the rear as your car can support that without any issues. The Hoosiers are qualifying slicks for a descriptor and are only for track use. Their traction circle is a whole category above the RE71R's.

My point is that if you like sliding your car during your under 80 mph daily blasts, the RE71R's would serve you well. They will outperform Michelin Cup tires and have much stronger sidewalls that prevent accidental curb sidewall rips. They also can be driven with much less tire pressure as well. I do have camber -2.7f and -2.5r to prevent front tire shoulder shredding. The inner shoulders do not wear as much as you would think. I got 18k miles out of a set of Michelin PS2's with this set up. They finally gave up their traction circle from old age, less grip, but not inner shoulder wear and they were not even to their wear bars. RE71R's also are remarkable in the wet as long as the road surface does not have standing water.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed a set of Michelin AS3+ tires on my OEM 19" wheels. Had to go for 245/275 40 R19. They are about .3 inch in overall diameter larger than the OEM setup of 235/265 40 R18. They definitely look beefy in the wheel wells. As for performance, I'm pretty happy with them, but they definitely feel less responsive than the OEM Goodyears they replaced.
I bought them as a touring tire for year round use here in the NM area. The weather can turn on a dime here, and I like driving my car to much too leave it in the garage when temps get below freezing or there is a flurry in the forecast. I've got a truck to get me thru the snow.
When I need a true performance tire, I have a second wheel/tire set that I use for AX and DE purposes.

I ran the Continental DWS06 on my 987 in 235/265 40 R18. I found them to be a good tire.

Of note, the new corvette is being delivered with Michelins new AS4 tire.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I installed a set of Michelin AS3+ tires on my OEM 19" wheels. Had to go for 245/275 40 R19. They are about .3 inch in overall diameter larger than the OEM setup of 235/265 40 R18. They definitely look beefy in the wheel wells. As for performance, I'm pretty happy with them, but they definitely feel less responsive than the OEM Goodyears they replaced.
I bought them as a touring tire for year round use here in the NM area. The weather can turn on a dime here, and I like driving my car to much too leave it in the garage when temps get below freezing or there is a flurry in the forecast. I've got a truck to get me thru the snow.
When I need a true performance tire, I have a second wheel/tire set that I use for AX and DE purposes.

I ran the Continental DWS06 on my 987 in 235/265 40 R18. I found them to be a good tire.

I tried a few weeks back to find information on the AS4, even contacted Michelin, but nothing was available, I think a tires like this would be great for regular use on a Porsche, especially road trips...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried a few weeks back to find information on the AS4, even contacted Michelin, but nothing was available, I think a tires like this would be great for regular use on a Porsche, especially road trips...
Yeah, I was unable to find anything on the AS4 yet too. I suspect it will make its debut on the C8, and probably only be available in limited sizes after that. Until then, you do have the AS3+ or Conti DWS06.

I knew i was making compromises on performance when I put the AS3+ on the car, but for touring and road tripping year round here in the NM/CO area, it just made sense. I've been out unexpectedly in flurries in Sept here on summer tires, and it's not fun. Not saying the AS3 will get me thru a blizzard, but for most things mother nature can throw at you, it will deal with it if you are reasonable with your expectations. So far, so good. When I want max performance, I throw the track tires on. When I want to go skiing. I jump in the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks for the information. Was there any adjustments required or did they just fit and work?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Yeah, I was unable to find anything on the AS4 yet too. I suspect it will make its debut on the C8, and probably only be available in limited sizes after that. Until then, you do have the AS3+ or Conti DWS06.

I knew i was making compromises on performance when I put the AS3+ on the car, but for touring and road tripping year round here in the NM/CO area, it just made sense. I've been out unexpectedly in flurries in Sept here on summer tires, and it's not fun. Not saying the AS3 will get me thru a blizzard, but for most things mother nature can throw at you, it will deal with it if you are reasonable with your expectations. So far, so good. When I want max performance, I throw the track tires on. When I want to go skiing. I jump in the truck.
I agree, reasonable expectations makes this possible... I can get the Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS in the size I need, actually quite a good deal at Tire Rack, it's the second set of wheels that breaks the bank!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the information. Was there any adjustments required or did they just fit and work?

No issues with fitment on my stock 19" wheels. I do run them with 7mm front/8mm rear spacers, but purely for aesthetics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had a good experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and more recently A/S 3+. I drive my car year-round in Michigan, but only when there is no snow or ice on the road, and these tires have worked well and have lasted at least as long as expected. I switched to the multi-season before my first fall driving in my 2010 987.2 Boxster. I had read two many stories about folks using their summer tires when the temperature dropped and finding out the hard way that the familiar grip is gone. Some very reputable reviews say that these times are comparable in performance to some models of summer tires. I went with 255/40ZR18 on the rear and 235/40ZR18 on the front. No regrets!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts