Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time at the Porsche Experience Center Atlanta this week with a Boxster S and a professional driver who works for (or is contracted by) Porsche NA. He has a lot more product knowledge about the 981 than I do and I truly learned a lot from him. The most obvious thing he pointed out that I never knew is the Boxster roof is made of magnesium and other light weight metals. The frontmost 1/3 of the roof has a hard panel under it which you can knock with your knuckles. That is literally a giant plate of magnesium. I had sort of assumed it was just 3 layers of canvas with baffling. The Boxster is so quiet with the top up at 80 MPH you would never know you're in a convertible. That makes more sense now because it's basically a real roof with some collapsable sections.

I appreciate the quality and design of this car more with each passing month of ownership.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Beef I have with the roof is it is really complicated. Its got lots of thread and tiny ropes to position and hold the headliner. I had to leave the roof half open to untangle and adjust some of the rope, which was pulling the headlight incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I spent some time at the Porsche Experience Center Atlanta this week with a Boxster S and a professional driver who works for (or is contracted by) Porsche NA. He has a lot more product knowledge about the 981 than I do and I truly learned a lot from him. The most obvious thing he pointed out that I never knew is the Boxster roof is made of magnesium and other light weight metals. The frontmost 1/3 of the roof has a hard panel under it which you can knock with your knuckles. That is literally a giant plate of magnesium. I had sort of assumed it was just 3 layers of canvas with baffling. The Boxster is so quiet with the top up at 80 MPH you would never know you're in a convertible. That makes more sense now because it's basically a real roof with some collapsable sections.

I appreciate the quality and design of this car more with each passing month of ownership.
thanks for the additional info .... something else I can brag to my non-Porsche friends about :)

Reactions: westwest888

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully it will never catch fire...
It's a magnesium alloy so it's not going to react to oxygen or water. It's an incredibly difficult material to work with, which is why it's so expensive. You have to superheat it and then form it in a vacuum mold.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's a magnesium alloy so it's not going to react to oxygen or water.
Then I guess it won't catch fire, then. Good to know considering the proximity to my head.

I have a friend with a MB SL55 AMG, he pointed out the folding roof mechanism is made out of magnesium; that's cool, I guess that helps keep the weight down to, what, 4200LB?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Then I guess it won't catch fire, then. Good to know considering the proximity to my head.

I have a friend with a MB SL55 AMG, he pointed out the folding roof mechanism is made out of magnesium; that's cool, I guess that helps keep the weight down to, what, 4200LB?
lol, I've never considered the SL b/c of the weight, the retractable hardtop looks better than any rag top but it's heavy, the top and the hydraulics that operates it is over 400lbs. The SLK is a bit better at 3400lbs, if it came with the rag top, it'll be closer the the Boxsters weight but then it again, it wouldn't appear to SLK buyers, who prefers the retractable hardtop.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nearly every other convertible is a non starter because it has enough luggage room for a large purse or carry on item. The greatest pleasure of the Boxster is a road trip, not just day trips.

Reactions: Noah Fect

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Nearly every other convertible is a non starter because it has enough luggage room for a large purse or carry on item. The greatest pleasure of the Boxster is a road trip, not just day trips.
You can easily fit a week's worth in the SLK so the Boxster is not the only roadster for a road trip. I did European delivery with the SLK and my wife and I easily fit a weeks worth of clothes.

This is more like our setup when we went.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts