Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The only American cars I ever respected where the Wrangler for being unique among any SUV on earth, and the Tesla for thinking out of the box and delivering what was believed impossible. Not a single other American car could get me to look at it twice, let along raise an eyebrow... but the new Corvette C8, OMG!!!

I might wait for the Z06 model before jumping in line. But that interior, gadgets and super cars figures at a bargain price is unheard of in this crazy time of pumped up super cars prices. The exterior looks like an offspring of a Camaro and the new NSX but I hope it’d be better in person.

So what do you guys think about the new Vette? And for 981/718 owners, now that you have a mid-engine car option that’d perform like a super car at a Cayman/Boxster price, would it win you over?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It appears to be big step forward for the Corvette, and it certainly turns up the heat on the competition. For me, the exterior is still a bit too much ‘boy racer’, though. I prefer the smooth lines of the Porsches over the many angles and hard edges of the Corvette (C8 or C7).

Good job by the Corvette team.

Looking forward to seeing one in person and on the road.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I watched the reveal last night and I like the front and side but not the rear of the car. The performance is pretty amazing: 0-60 MPH under 3 seconds. They did the right thing by making the engine visible through the rear glass and I think my favorite feature is the nose lift that has GPS memory. With the push of a button, the car will remember when to lift the nose. I am also very interested to see how their new dual clutch transmission performs. I have a 981 Cayman S and while I like it, I sometimes feel it should do more considering the $86k list price in 2015. One thing is certain, the C8 will be less expensive and have more power. It will have a giant dealer network and be less expensive for maintenance. If you like sharp angles like you see on Lambos, you'll appreciate the new C8. One more thing: I am on the list to get a new GT4 but I have about decided not to take it. Not because of the C8, but because it did not get a real 4.0 GT engine. It is a 911 engine that has been bored to 4.0L. I also wanted to see a PDK option.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good in white. The tail lights should have been rounded like a Ferrari or Ford GT40 in my opinion.
I agree, the rear is the ugly part of it and is too busy. Tried configuring one, but still can’t decide on the color yet.

The good news, I have long months to decide till the Z06 is released.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I watched the reveal last night and I like the front and side but not the rear of the car. The performance is pretty amazing: 0-60 MPH under 3 seconds. They did the right thing by making the engine visible through the rear glass and I think my favorite feature is the nose lift that has GPS memory. With the push of a button, the car will remember when to lift the nose. I am also very interested to see how their new dual clutch transmission performs. I have a 981 Cayman S and while I like it, I sometimes feel it should do more considering the $86k list price in 2015. One thing is certain, the C8 will be less expensive and have more power. It will have a giant dealer network and be less expensive for maintenance. If you like sharp angles like you see on Lambos, you'll appreciate the new C8. One more thing: I am on the list to get a new GT4 but I have about decided not to take it. Not because of the C8, but because it did not get a real 4.0 GT engine. It is a 911 engine that has been bored to 4.0L. I also wanted to see a PDK option.
This is not true, the new 4.0l is not a 3.0l bored and stroked, especially when considering that it required a new crankcase, crankshaft, bearings, heads and valves etc... I don't know why the press is saying it is bored and stroked, perhaps because many just repeat something that was already said in error. My definition of 'bored and stroked' is when you can take the existing block and machine it to those larger dimensions, Porsche did not do that, they cast an entirely new crankcase, essentially more that 80% of the engine is 'new'! Sure it is 'based' on the 3.0l turbo engine but this is not the same, Andreas Preuninger can be quoted as saying it is a new engine for the 718.

Now as for it being a 'real' GT engine I have to leave that to Porsche, but from what I read the GT Motorsports division designed it for the 718, essentially 'bespoke' for the Spyder and GT4 at this time so I am happy that it is not a 911 hand-me-down. ;)

Adding quotes from Porsche themselves:

This includes the newly developed four-litre six-cylinder naturally aspirated engine, together with a six-speed manual transmission.
High-revving and highly emotional naturally aspirated engine
At the heart of both models is the new four-litre six-cylinder boxer engine. The naturally aspirated engine is based on the same engine family as the turbo engines in the current 911 Carrera model series.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The only American cars I ever respected where the Wrangler for being unique among any SUV on earth, and the Tesla for thinking out of the box and delivering what was believed impossible. Not a single other American car could get me to look at it twice, let along raise an eyebrow... but the new Corvette C8, OMG!!!

I might wait for the Z06 model before jumping in line. But that interior, gadgets and super cars figures at a bargain price is unheard of in this crazy time of pumped up super cars prices. The exterior looks like an offspring of a Camaro and the new NSX but I hope it’d be better in person.

So what do you guys think about the new Vette? And for 981/718 owners, now that you have a mid-engine car option that’d perform like a super car at a Cayman/Boxster price, would it win you over?

It has me thinking! I want a Spyder, so this is a bit different but I do understand that there is likely a convertible in future.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wholly crap! 0-60 in 3 seconds, mid engine handling, and a less than $60k starting price. They won't be able to make enough of these. I love, absolutely love, my Cayman, but this car is very tempting!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
No manual transmission. At least Porsche listens to their customers. Car IS impressive but no third pedal option in a Vette is sacrilege.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No manual transmission. At least Porsche listens to their customers. Car IS impressive but no third pedal option in a Vette is sacrilege.
That was said in 2013 about the 991 GT3. Only took Porsche 4 years to put a MT back in the GT3. I've heard GM patented some sort of clutch by wire system. Maybe MT will be offered later?

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The clear engine cover is something that Porsche could have done to the Cayman 981.
I have never owned an american car, maybe in the future and the C8 looks good. Best bang for the buck and one of the few giant killers. Good job GM.
One of the features that I loved is the GPS Nose Lift, yet it scares me if it malfunctions while I took it for granted. YIKES

·
Premium Member
406 Posts

OMG INDEED!

What an incredible bargain for such a car. Wish they had incorporated more of the design elements of the C6 rather than the C7- could have been a $60,000 Pagani. But still... OMG

Let's see: Trade a Cayman S, Cayenne S, Mustang Cobra, maybe I could forgo all that depreciation. But that's crazy talk, right? That car's a siren song.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,574 Posts
It is an incredible bargain or perhaps Porsche's are just way over priced? I'd like to see it in person before rendering a styling opinion but I like what I see in the pix. If you like to mod your cars the after market will have plenty of options at 1/2 Porsche costs for parts. I'll bet performance numbers for the base car will be equal to or better than a 911S.

I'm very tempted and will certainly look at them when they hit the show room.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is an incredible bargain or perhaps Porsche's are just way over priced? I'd like to see it in person before rendering a styling opinion but I like what I see in the pix. If you like to mod your cars the after market will have plenty of options at 1/2 Porsche costs for parts. I'll bet performance numbers for the base car will be equal to or better than a 911S.

I'm very tempted and will certainly look at them when they hit the show room.
The C8 numbers sure would beat the 992 Carrera 4S. Time will tell when the C8 Z06 meets the 992 turbo S.

I’m sure Porsche are worried. But I’m excited

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I highly doubt Porsche is worried. Have they taken note of the C8? Sure. Although some people have a foot in the Corvette and Porsche camps, they are generally completely different buyer profiles. 0-60 and lateral G numbers only tell one part of the story. STis and GT350s and Nissan GT-Rs and a slew of other cars put down decent numbers, but are lacking on one or more fronts compared to Porsche. The C8 is being built to a price point; it will be apparent where the corners have been cut.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,574 Posts
The C8 numbers sure would beat the 992 Carrera 4S. Time will tell when the C8 Z06 meets the 992 turbo S.

I’m sure Porsche are worried. But I’m excited
I'm sure the next couple of years will have some very interesting comparison tests with all varieties of supercars and near super cars as new C8 variants are introduced. If I buy a C8 it will be as a GT car, not a supercar so the base model with the right options will do it for me. I'm still getting my ya-ya's with my 675 whp 2800 lb Cayman S race car

1 - 20 of 41 Posts