Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm still getting my ya-ya's with my 675 whp 2800 lb Cayman S race car
You gotta be kidding! Just like week I was wondering if anybody is still holding on one of these toys. For me, it was a lesson learned. I’m glad you’re still having fun.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
I highly doubt Porsche is worried. Have they taken note of the C8? Sure. Although some people have a foot in the Corvette and Porsche camps, they are generally completely different buyer profiles. 0-60 and lateral G numbers only tell one part of the story. STis and GT350s and Nissan GT-Rs and a slew of other cars put down decent numbers, but are lacking on one or more fronts compared to Porsche. The C8 is being built to a price point; it will be apparent where the corners have been cut.
I think the C8 will cut into Porsche's sales. Not so much from people that buy for the prestige of the brand but those that are more pragmatic like me. Although I really liked the styling of the 911 I always thought they where over priced and the engineer in me hated the rear engine. Although I could afford it the value proposition was poor. When I saw a Cayman in 07 I loved the styling and the engineering. I still thought it was over priced but within reason and I bought one. ( and Porsche did cut corners on the engine, power steering and ABS). Same thing for the corvette, loved the performance and value of the C7 but the styling and cheap interior are deal breakers for me.

Of course there are many open questions about the C8 but I think many people that wouldn't give a second glance to a C7 will be very interested in the C8

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a feeling the sub 3 sec 0-60 ain't gonna be the <$60,000 copy. My guess is that for the top of the line performance, the sales price will be > $80K, but that's just one mans opinion.

Awesome car making nonetheless.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
I have a feeling the sub 3 sec 0-60 ain't gonna be the <$60,000 copy. My guess is that for the top of the line performance, the sales price will be > $80K, but that's just one mans opinion.

Awesome car making nonetheless.
There is only one engine available now. The 0-60 is for the base model

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
You gotta be kidding! Just like week I was wondering if anybody is still holding on one of these toys. For me, it was a lesson learned. I’m glad you’re still having fun.
4.0L twin turbo, Albins sequential gearbox, dry sump, 996 Cup rear suspension, serious aero. It's an all out race car now, not streetable.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
There is only one engine available now. The 0-60 is for the base model
But with the Z51 performance package...

*** add citation ***

It's also the quickest: Chevy didn't provide exact performance numbers, but the automaker did say that the C8 Stingray will do 0-60 in less than three seconds when equipped with the Z51 Performance Package. That is astoundingly fast—on par with the earliest Bugatti Veyron—and it's a testament to the capabilities made possible by the switch to the mid-engine layout.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28437032/c8-mid-engine-corvette-stingray-2020-photos-specs/

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
... loved the performance and value of the C7 but the styling and cheap interior are deal breakers for me. Of course there are many open questions about the C8 but I think many people that wouldn't give a second glance to a C7 will be very interested in the C8
The styling of the C8 is just as much love-it-or-hate-it as the C7. Certainly a few folks that wouldn't give a second glance to the C7 will be interested in the C8; I'm in the camp that also wasn't interested in the C7 but think the C8 is far less aesthetically pleasing than ANY previous Corvette. (I expect that rear end will be used as a "don't do this" case study in automotive design schools, and will be "refreshed" in pretty short order).

That said, I think you are probably correct that the the C8 will cut into Porsche sales...but of used Porsches more than new ones. Someone looking at a $125k 911 is a different animal than someone looking at at used $55k 981. For another $10k that buyer can get into a new C8...and many will do just that.

Performance aside, there will be no getting past the fact that the C8 will have to cut some corners to hit that $60k price point; most certainly on the interior and elsewhere as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As someone that has owned 7 Corvettes over the years and didn’t quite like the styling of the C7, I am seriously considering a C8. I expect they will have some growing pains with the new model, however, I personally like the styling and there is no doubt the performance will be spectacular. As I posted elsewhere I have a deposit on a new Spyder but after I sit in a C8 on 8/7 it might be changed. I lament the fact that you can’t get it in a manual but the FAL is a big plus. Porsche should have put that on the option list of the new Spyder. While you can’t compare GM fit/finish to Porsche, it has gotten much better over the years. The price delta between my spec of a C8 vs Spyder will likely be 40k which is significant since the Vette will be much faster and even carry golf clubs. Lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are drivers and there are fan boys/posuers. The latter will gladly plonk down $100k plus to drive around with the proper badge while they wear the proper watch and go to the proper car enthusiast meetings.

The former will be seriously considering a C8 provided the car delivers on what has been hyped so far. Chevy learned a LOT over the past few years with the Camaro, and if that knowledge translates over to the Corvette, this will be a giant killer, even more so than the C7.

I, for one, am VERY anxious to see real road test results.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There are drivers and there are fan boys/posuers. The latter will gladly plonk down $100k plus to drive around with the proper badge while they wear the proper watch and go to the proper car enthusiast meetings.

The former will be seriously considering a C8 provided the car delivers on what has been hyped so far. Chevy learned a LOT over the past few years with the Camaro, and if that knowledge translates over to the Corvette, this will be a giant killer, even more so than the C7.

I, for one, am VERY anxious to see real road test results.
Located in Germany, with a UK username bashing Porsche owners on a Porsche forum! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a CPO 2018 Cayman a month ago from a Dealer in California. While waiting to get my paperwork done , The C8 came up in conversation with sales and Service staff after they had closed shop for the day. They have surely taken notice of the C8. One stated that they had NEVER seen as much interest in any Corvette from Porsche owners.

Maybe an isolated incident, but I still personally think the C8 is going to be a game changer in the market.

Pro Corvette post on a Porsche forum...for my first post as a new member! LOL.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I bought a CPO 2018 Cayman a month ago from a Dealer in California. While waiting to get my paperwork done , The C8 came up in conversation with sales and Service staff after they had closed shop for the day. They have surely taken notice of the C8. One stated that they had NEVER seen as much interest in any Corvette from Porsche owners.

Maybe an isolated incident, but I still personally think the C8 is going to be a game changer in the market.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you Cayman! I think that would be hard to ignore what the C8 brings to the table, especially if you are open minded... ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

The same story took place with me twice; when I visited my dealer when I test drove the 992 and when I went to see the new Cayenne Coupe. He also told me that he’s considering buying a C8. Add to that some of my friends who own Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari and/or Mclaren are in line to buy a C8 Z06 in time. The only ones who hate the C8 much nowadays among my friends are the hardcore previous Corvette model owners.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I intended on getting a C8 but with great deals on C7's traded my Spyder for one and cash. May get a C8 in future or go back for my 8th Porsche.
It all depends on how Chevrolet/GM handles the blown engine in my week old 400 miles C7

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
We need details Augie! Blown engine within a week?????

EDIT: NM I saw your other thread where it shut down on you during an autocross. How crazy!

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Yes it stopped running and had no electrical power to half the car. Stopped at low speed maybe 10-15 mph. Dash out, doors and trunk don't open, pass window worked, driver window didn't, no start, no blown fuses we could find, jump start did nothing.
I found the owners manual online yesterday (dealer never gave me one or told me about break-in) and on page 179 it tells you about break-in new vehicle. Under 4000 rpm first 500 miles, change oil at 500 miles (that the dealer did tell me) and no track or sport driving schools for 1500 miles. Autocross is neither of those. Second gear maybe 60-70 mph max.
Dealer's had the car since Sunday and plans to start working on it on Monday. Good a week without knowing anything but yet the told me Monday it was a blown fuse and they had the engine running with a lot lights on. Then on Tuesday it was blown, locked up and never started. Thursday it was wait until Monday for work to start.
Great

It doesn't look blown does it. Neither bottom or Z06 top blown. (haaaha a regular comedian)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You had NO idea regarding break in?

Unsure of the base Stingrays ,but the GS and ZL1 I believe , have a feature to go into "limp mode" to prevent engine damage if overheated, etc.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Yes it stopped running and had no electrical power to half the car. Stopped at low speed maybe 10-15 mph. Dash out, doors and trunk don't open, pass window worked, driver window didn't, no start, no blown fuses we could find, jump start did nothing.
I found the owners manual online yesterday (dealer never gave me one or told me about break-in) and on page 179 it tells you about break-in new vehicle. Under 4000 rpm first 500 miles, change oil at 500 miles (that the dealer did tell me) and no track or sport driving schools for 1500 miles. Autocross is neither of those. Second gear maybe 60-70 mph max.
Dealer's had the car since Sunday and plans to start working on it on Monday. Good a week without knowing anything but yet the told me Monday it was a blown fuse and they had the engine running with a lot lights on. Then on Tuesday it was blown, locked up and never started. Thursday it was wait until Monday for work to start.
Great
View attachment 265980

It doesn't look blown does it. Neither bottom or Z06 top blown. (haaaha a regular comedian)
I cant see how doing 60-70 MPH in 2nd gear can possibly be below 4000 RPM though? No way I would personally autocross a new car with less than 400 miles on it. It may turn out that it really had nothing to do with the issue, but that's a little risky IMO

Good luck and it makes for an interesting story to follow as things progress.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts