Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I am less than 2 months out on on taking delivery of my ordered Cayman GTS. I bought the car for reasons that it is the most sporty Cayman available today. But, the front fascia design is not a home run in my opinion. And, the low front end will scrape. Instead of worrying about both, I would like to fix them. I'm looking for a shop who can do what I want and who can replicate it for other GTS owners.

1. Front Splitter Change - The front split needs grills for the opening and the standard way of mounting the Zunsport grills is not acceptable to me. To make it look cleaner, more similar to the clean face of a GT3, the plastic bits need to be cut and customized. On the outside openings, the grills need to mount nearly flush with the body panel up flush to the LED light. This will cover most of the plastic part except the light surroundings.The mount on the center opening is fine. All plastic bits need to be painted body color. Porsche sells the plastic bits separately as parts which can be used as templates. And I believe Zunsport will build grills to match a customer provided template. Again, due to the complex shape of the plastic bits, it is not possible to simply bolt over the existing parts.

2. Scrape Plate for underside of front. Porsche installs a small rubber spoiler piece that is useless and will certainly get knocked off all GTS's sooner or later. I'd like to have made and mount an aluminum skid plate utilizing existing only existing screws and bolts.

So, is there anyone out there who can build these for me? And, in the process perhaps sell to others who want the same.

Matt GT3 Splitter grills.jpg GTS grill.jpg

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you like the look of the GT3, you should consider waiting until the GT4 is out and see if you can bolt it on

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I had the same thought to wait and see. But, I figured if someone out there can make it now, then I can get on with it. I know i definitely want the trim painted body color, so I can not paint until I do the tweak, same thing with the grills, installing the clear bra, etc.... so it is all connected.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i like this udea but it may be quite a bit more expensive than just buying the gt4 bumper

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Ok, so I am less than 2 months out on on taking delivery of my ordered Cayman GTS. I bought the car for reasons that it is the most sporty Cayman available today. But, the front fascia design is not a home run in my opinion. And, the low front end will scrape. Instead of worrying about both, I would like to fix them. I'm looking for a shop who can do what I want and who can replicate it for other GTS owners.

1. Front Splitter Change - The front split needs grills for the opening and the standard way of mounting the Zunsport grills is not acceptable to me. To make it look cleaner, more similar to the clean face of a GT3, the plastic bits need to be cut and customized. On the outside openings, the grills need to mount nearly flush with the body panel up flush to the LED light. This will cover most of the plastic part except the light surroundings.The mount on the center opening is fine. All plastic bits need to be painted body color. Porsche sells the plastic bits separately as parts which can be used as templates. And I believe Zunsport will build grills to match a customer provided template. Again, due to the complex shape of the plastic bits, it is not possible to simply bolt over the existing parts.

2. Scrape Plate for underside of front. Porsche installs a small rubber spoiler piece that is useless and will certainly get knocked off all GTS's sooner or later. I'd like to have made and mount an aluminum skid plate utilizing existing only existing screws and bolts.

So, is there anyone out there who can build these for me? And, in the process perhaps sell to others who want the same.

Matt View attachment 53047 View attachment 53048
Matt:

I think this is a symptom of waiter's club-itis...Trying to fix the new car before you get a chance to drive and live with it.

I see the GT3 front end in the photos as being far more prone to scraping than the second nose, which I assume is the stock GTS nose. If the second photo is something else, I'm not following.

For reference, my '06 CS has been lowered A LOT and scraping is a rare occurrence. Granted, that's a different nose, but point is that Porsche does consider the scraping problem when they design a nose for a street car...and the GTS is a street car, not a track weapon. When my car scrapes, it gets the black pieces on the bottom front and those are inexpensive to replace. They've never come off. I bumped a curb while diagonal parking it one time and it made a visible mark on the right side piece, so I replaced both sides. They have scrapes on the bottom since but the scrapes only show when the car is on a lift.

My sincere, best advice is to take delivery of the car and drive it without mods for a while, then add one thing at a time as you perceive actual improvements in your driving experience could be made. Trying to push everything forward before you've got to experience the new car seems a little like driving yourself nuts and you're cheating yourself out of the fun of comparing the stock thing to the modded thing, which is at least half the fun of adding a mod.

It's easy to get wound up about every little thing when a new toy is anticipated, especially one as cool as a new GTS.

Hope this new one is the best ever.

:cheers:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Scrape plate? The GTS looks to have plenty of ground clearance in the front to me. If you tear that spoiler off the front, you are going to have bigger issues than the spoiler.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is this sort of what you were looking for?

GTS grill.jpg

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Six, thanks for the advice - wisely said.

Hello John,

RE: Front Splitter Scrapes: I have attached 2 pictures. The first shows a device sold by Schnell which affords some protection. But, going up a driveway it will still scrape just under the nose of the splitter causing tears in the painted part. The black rubber spoiler piece (about 2" tall) is seen well against the yellow paint. I can 100% assure you that this part will get ripped away or torn during the life of the 981, as it is designed to be breakaway.

Pic 2 was an image I found on a Google search that is a posting from another Planet 9 member who installed the home made aluminum shield. Hmmm - I need to look into this further.

I realize that very few people ever look under their cars and are oblivious to scratches under the front nose. But, it looks bad when this gets scratched and gouged. Again, I would submit that 100% of all 981 during their life will be scratched.

Ideally, I can find a solution before it becomes a problem. Schnell Protectors.jpg scrape protection.jpg

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this sort of what you were looking for?

View attachment 53082
Hello Payne,

I just noticed the photoshop work, nicely done! It certainly does look better in body color paint. But, I think the spoiler would look just fine if I could make one change - if I could find a way to simply and cleanly remove the horizontal strake under the light such that the grill goes from paint to paint without seeing any plastic. Care to try to photoshop the opening to make it all grill and not see any of the plastic except for the led light housing?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
507 Posts
GTS grill (1) copy.jpg

like this?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Matt means this part..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts