Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a dilemma and would like some opinions from fellow club members. To keep or not to keep?

I have had my 2.7 Cayman for just over 2 years, and have enjoyed the fact that it Was Not my daily driver. About 4 months ago I decided to sell my daily car, one of the side effects of a less rewarding career move, something about the economy…ect. Recently I started looking around the web at some other more affordable sports car options as a possible replacement for the Cayman.

Everything from an 03 Boxster S, S2000, Mini Cooper, BMW Z4 even an VW R32 was considered. I prefer rear wheel drive track friendly cars, and I would like to continue with 4-5 track days a year.

At first choice I would take a CPO Boxster S, but having to go from the 987 to the 986 might leave me with a great feeling of loss. I have driven a ’99 Boxster before, even though it was 5+ years ago, I can remember it as a wonderful Porsche feel that I will always love. Thoughts about a future $18-20k car are that, I wouldn’t feel as guilty racking up the miles, door dings at the grocery store, and the occasional off’s when enjoying track days. High mileage woes and lack of warranty are also something to be concerned about, not a such a good combo.

When I bought the Cayman back in 07 things were very different, but now I’m faced with a situation that will more than likely take years before it gets back to normal. I could make some further sacrifices and keep the Cayman, but the reason for owning such a car is to enjoy more of what life has to offer, vs. less by worrying about how to pay for it. The car has payments and the payoff is about what its worth, not bad considering the prices have tanked lately. Now that I will be driving the car everyday the value will drop even faster.

So I would like to hear from some of you that are dealing with or have had to make similar choices. Also I know many of you that have gone from a 986 to the Cayman, what are your thoughts about a reverse move?

Look forward to hearing some opinions.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi ul2fly,

Sorry to hear about your financial change.

I've had two 986 Boxsters, a 911, and my Cayman S. My gut feel is that you would not be happy in a 986, it would be too constant a reminder of the 987. I would consider:
A 2005 Boxster S - it's the cheapest 987 and the S has good power.
OR
An even cheaper daily driver, i.e. older GTI, to allow keeping the Cayman as a weekend car.
Then again, this is very subjective and emotional and YMMV. Good luck! -Jeff

·
Registered
337 Posts
You would probably be happy in a recent model S2000, could pick one up for pretty cheap and they are a BLAST to drive outside of the Porsche world. I've got a '08 S2000 and love it, I can't compare to the newer Boxster S's, but I'd take my S2000 over my dad's 2000 Boxster S

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I do 6 - 8 track days a year in my 1999 M Coupe, which also serves as a daily driver. If you are OK with the looks (the butt of jokes to some) 1999 -2000 are relatively inexpensive, dependable, no surprise issues (see BMW forums), fun to drive, very track ready w/o modification and very competent with just a few suspension tweaks. And very practical storage space.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I have a bit of a dilemma and would like some opinions from fellow club members. To keep or not to keep?

I have had my 2.7 Cayman for just over 2 years, and have enjoyed the fact that it Was Not my daily driver. About 4 months ago I decided to sell my daily car, one of the side effects of a less rewarding career move, something about the economy…ect. Recently I started looking around the web at some other more affordable sports car options as a possible replacement for the Cayman.

Everything from an 03 Boxster S, S2000, Mini Cooper, BMW Z4 even an VW R32 was considered. I prefer rear wheel drive track friendly cars, and I would like to continue with 4-5 track days a year.

At first choice I would take a CPO Boxster S, but having to go from the 987 to the 986 might leave me with a great feeling of loss. I have driven a ’99 Boxster before, even though it was 5+ years ago, I can remember it as a wonderful Porsche feel that I will always love. Thoughts about a future $18-20k car are that, I wouldn’t feel as guilty racking up the miles, door dings at the grocery store, and the occasional off’s when enjoying track days. High mileage woes and lack of warranty are also something to be concerned about, not a such a good combo.

When I bought the Cayman back in 07 things were very different, but now I’m faced with a situation that will more than likely take years before it gets back to normal. I could make some further sacrifices and keep the Cayman, but the reason for owning such a car is to enjoy more of what life has to offer, vs. less by worrying about how to pay for it. The car has payments and the payoff is about what its worth, not bad considering the prices have tanked lately. Now that I will be driving the car everyday the value will drop even faster.

So I would like to hear from some of you that are dealing with or have had to make similar choices. Also I know many of you that have gone from a 986 to the Cayman, what are your thoughts about a reverse move?

Look forward to hearing some opinions.
I'd keep the Cayman. Great daily driver and a decent track machine. It's more car than any of these other choices and you won't take any financial hit changing cars. I certainly would not go to a 986 if I'm going to track the car. Less reliable.

If I'm understanding you right, you've dumped the daily driver to save money. Room in the car is not an issue or you wouldn't be considering half of these cars. You want now to buy an older car to save more money? I doubt that you will. You'll just trade more car for less. If you can afford to keep your Cayman, keep it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you are tight on money, Id dump the Cayman. Not like they aren't a dime a dozen, so to speak. You'll find another. If you were talking about some low production run rare car, Id say stick it out, but unless your Cayman is customized to the hilt and like no other out there, I see no reason to keep it at the expense of eating canned soup all the time. That's no way to live.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to hear your misfortune. Hope things take a turn for the better soon.

As for the car... I say sell it.. and your house. Then buy a GT3 RS and live in it :)

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
I would keep the Cayman and stay away from the track until my situation cleared up. Your will spend $2,500 in fees plus the extra wear in tires and brakes makes the savings $3,000 - $4,000 per year or a monthly Kia payment.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that! Here are my two cents: Keep the Cayman! My Cayman is my daily driver, even in the winter, and I love every minute of it! I don't think you would save a lot of money by buying another used car.... the cayman is very reliable, and I have a felling you would really miss her. I'd say you make the cayman your DD.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I have owned an S2000 since 2002 and completely LOVE it. To be honest, I think my S2000 is more fun to drive than my Cayman S. Having said that, you need to know that my S2000 is FAR from stock. A supercharger (7 lbs. of boost and aftercooled), shorter rear gears, lowered on coilovers, Comptech adjustable front sway bar, and many more mods add up to a GREAT car. I have yet to be passed at a track day by a Boxster of any sort and ran down a track prepared Cayman S at Miller last year.

However, as a daily driver, I would take the Cayman S in a heart beat.

As for the Boxster, I am sure it is a great car, but I have never driven one.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Like some of the above, have you really pencilled out how much you'll actually save? How much do you think you can realisticly get for your Cayman? You might wind up lowering your monthly payment but losing more total over the life of both cars.

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 on the last post. What do you think your 07 is worth? I thinking not very much. Keep it -drive it forever. I use mine 17,000 miles a year and love it.:banana:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My gut says keep it too, mainly because I know one way or another I will regreat it.

To answer the question of worth, I figure somwhere between $29-33k, if it were on a Porsche lot maybe $36. It has just turned 18k miles and is flawless.
Pretty much all the reasons to keep such a car, because it would be hard to replace it for what I owe @ $33k. You are right on the take a hit, and that the saved money will result in far less car, maybe even less reliable too. Which for a daily that is the most important thing.

Come to think of it this wasn't even my idea! My GF/ wife to be says we need to save # and we cant afford a Porsche. HA I think in this case I can't afford not to keep it! Wish I could trade down on the backyard makeover we did 2 years back.

Thank you for all the input keep it coming.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Get a new GF/wife and keep the car.

Best money saving idea on this thread yet...

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Get a new GF/wife and keep the car.

Best money saving idea on this thread yet...
If he is trying to save money isn't getting a GF/wife and a Cayman mutually exclusive?

·
Registered
463 Posts
In case you do still want to consider alternatives I have a friend that has a 2001 (I believe) Boxster S that just turned 9 yrs. old today. It is an absolutely stunning car in Speed Yellow with a matching hardtop and short shifter. Its got under 7000 miles and is flawless. I don't think the wiper blades have ever crossed the windshield. He also has an '89 911 Carrera with 30,000+ miles and is considering selling both and buying a Cayman. He is probably looking for the low to mid 20's for the Boxster. If my son could drive a stick and wanted a 2 seater it would be on its way to him in LA now. If you're interested let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My gut says keep it too, mainly because I know one way or another I will regreat it.

To answer the question of worth, I figure somwhere between $29-33k, if it were on a Porsche lot maybe $36. It has just turned 18k miles and is flawless.
Pretty much all the reasons to keep such a car, because it would be hard to replace it for what I owe @ $33k. You are right on the take a hit, and that the saved money will result in far less car, maybe even less reliable too. Which for a daily that is the most important thing.

Come to think of it this wasn't even my idea! My GF/ wife to be says we need to save # and we cant afford a Porsche. HA I think in this case I can't afford not to keep it! Wish I could trade down on the backyard makeover we did 2 years back.

Thank you for all the input keep it coming.
If she tells you that again just tell her that a GF/wife is MUCH more expensive than a Porsche. You pay for the Porsche once, you pay for a wife for the rest of your life!

Of course, this is advice coming from a guy that's divorced!
:hilarious:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just my two cents but if the car payment is hurting you, dump the car and find the cheapest and most economical reliable car to replace it. Give up the DEs until things return to normal.......sounds like the most responsible thing to do. But there comes a time that you just have to do what your heart tells you.........and if that is to keep the car then keep it. Keep in mind that life is too short and like several friends of mine life can throw you some curves that you never planned for and you can never get that time back. They both right now are recovering from cancer and only the Lord knows if they will make it and if they will ever be able to get back into their cars, get on their bikes or unhangar their planes. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Seems like a bad move to me. I don't think you'll be satisfied going from a 987 to a 986. I'm not even sure the net cost savings would be that material unless you go way downscale. Plus you've taken the biggest depreciation hit on your two year old car already.

Agree with the other posters who recommended putting the DEs on hold until things improve. The money you save can go right to paying down the car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Frankly I would keep it as you are just trading $$ and will always be comparing whatever you get to the Cayman. Cut back or take a year or two off from the track days. if you can just get an old beater as a DD with what you save on doing the DEs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts