Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I don't post on here too often, but couldn't think of a better place to seek your opinions on the stuff going round and round in my head right now.

To give you some some background, cars I have owned include Subaru Impreza Turbo (Sti V), Honda S2000, Caterham 7 (r300) and a Lotus Exige S2.

More recently (last August) I purchased my current car which is a MY06 Cayman S. Spec is as follows,

Silver, 41,000 miles, PSM, PCM2, phone module, 19" wheels. A reasonably basic spec with no SC or PASM, no sports seats etc.

It's my first Porsche and I have to say I love it. The power delivery is very deceptively smooth with loads of torque etc. It is certainly not the fastest car I have owned (the Caterham being a lot quicker), I think the Cayman S is about as quick as the Impreza.

The Cayman offers me the practicality that I need, it is my second car, so not used for family duties, I use it mostly for pleasure and getting me too and from the airport. The luggage capacity being much better than my previous car, which was the Exige!!

So, to the root of my question and the reason for my post.

In the past, I have always modified my cars. From reading this forum it seems that by upgrading to a SRP and flash and adding a good exhaust (Milltek or REMUS here in the UK) and maybe by desnorking, I can add about 20hp or so and also improve low end performance. Estimated bhp would be 320? I can also add the Bilstein PSS9 kit, lowering and improving the ride from stock.

These upgrades would effectively make up for not having PASM or Sport Chrono with the upsides of getting more power and putting me closer to a 911 Carrera.

However, the cost of these upgrades would be approx £4,500.

Is this money better spent on a second hand 911 C2S and finding a good one that has SC, sports seats etc. In my price range, I would only be able to afford a similar age 911 with similar mileage.

Should I upgrade and enjoy the best handling car Porsche make and think about the change to a newer 911 in 18 months time? This would mean putting on another 20K miles to the CS and dealing with the residual prices in the future. It's impossible to tell what future values of the CS will be, but one would hope I can trade in and use the freed up cash as a deposit towards the 911.

What would a 911 give me in addition to what the CS currently offers (apart from the feel good factor of owning a 911). Service costs, insurance and running costs are probably higher?

What would you do?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not at the moment. I did track the Caterham extensively, and also the S2000. I do plan on doing more track days when time allows.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would love a Caterham! ;-)

I think unless you are tracking the car, most of these modifications are unnecessary, though many here will note that various performance mods you can buy, namely a turbo charger.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've owned a few of those things, old and new... The deal with the 911 is mostly a different feel. Where the cayman can be tossed around and get into a corner faster and rotate faster, the 911 gets in a corner a bit slower, takes a set, and then shoots out like a bat out of hell. It's not the same, both styles are rewarding in their own way.

Of course the 911 generally benefits from more hp and torque, unless you compare a gen2 CS to a gen1 base 997.... The CS is smoother and can feel slower, less of a kick in the butt, but it is the better design overall from a handling standpoint. But the 997 has rear seats :). You get where this is going...

If you want to play with a 911 why not drop a 3.6 in a cheap 80-85 911 and have fun with that? And keep your cayman....

Also it may sound stupid but the cayman is more exclusive. It's rare to see one, you see 996/997 and boxsters all the time, not so caymans. It's prettier too :)

How about a 3.8 conversion then? That's grunt!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having owned a very nice 996 and now the Cayman S, I think I enjoy driving the S more than the 996, which I only owned for 12k miles/3 years. And right up until I drove the S, I was truly a 911 snob.

Steve
06 CS
84 911
Formerly: 62 356, 64 356, 85 911, 76 930, 99 996

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've stated this in other threads, but I test drove a new 997 not long ago and wasn't exceptionally thrilled.

Yes, it was faster in a straight line, but in curves is was just more work to drive than my Cayman S is (or for that matter a Boxster.)

I can see getting a 911 for particular features - I drool over a C4S and of course if I won the lottery would place my order for a Turbo or GT3 tomorrow.

But to me it was just more work to drive the way I like, with reduces the "one with the machine" feel I love so much about my Cayman.

·
Registered
502 Posts
What ever you do, don't test drive a GT3! Lotto or not, you'll start devising ways to make it happen.
I got 2 kidneys but only need 1.
I got 2 lungs but only need 1.
I got 2 eyes but only need 1.
I haven't used my heart for years, I will put an ad up on the classified ads.

1 slightly used heart, willing to combine shipping with kidney.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've always wanted a 911 myself. Specially in the 80's. But after owning a 986s, 987s and a 951s I have passed on wanting a 911. I've driven a few 993's and 996 911's and they just don't thrill me as much as the 986/987. I definitely will not give them up for a regular 911. At this point I think only the GT series or 911 turbo will change my mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts