Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 09 cayman base. i find that it sits so low that sometimes i need to use a little oomph to exit gracefully. im 70 yrs old but in very good shape. but, even so. i might have invented a cool way to exit. instead of leaning like hell on the steering wheel or launching my self like a crazed wombat (or something), i open the door and push with my elbow in carpeted space by the seat. results. graceful, dignified and a proper gentleman like exit. anyone else use a neat trick?:)
fred from nashville

·
Registered
146 Posts
ok, so .. this thread has officially been dubbed the 'dinosaur-dismount' :laughing:

I hook my left elbow around the side of my sport seat thus providing enough leverage to propel my 220lbs to exit velocity. A final tug on the wheel with a half twist of my 6'3"s and I'm out .. all exits of this type are best when you can finish with a "TADA!"

Brad (of the Codger-Crew)

Additionally .. It should be noted that however I get out of the car, my girlfriend will still be seated, stabbing her fingers at the seat belt release then fumbling with the door latch as if she's a victim of frostbite.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have not accomplished finding a way to exit gracefully yet. I was thinking may be I should higher my seat which I don't like.
BTW I don't think it is age related. I am 31 and basically crawl out of my car. lol
I will try your strategy next time. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not just for dinosaurs—I'm 33 and have been experimenting to find a more graceful way to get out, and in, to my CS. Less than 20k miles, and the Velcro on the underside of the floor-mat is all but destroyed. Also constantly fighting (my own) fingerprints on the paint near the door from bracing. Luckily seats are still good, but looking to keep wear down. Maybe just need to slow down and make sure to balance.

Have you come up with any trucks for entry?

Somebody should do an instructional video on this :)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Practice swinging your left foot further toward the rear of the car as you duck your head and lean out of the car. If your left foot is more centered under you as you exit, less assistance from your hands is required. BTW I'm 60 -- 5-11 165lbs. Not quite as agile as 10 years back though :-/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah, what great fun your replies are. btw i HAVE come up with an entry trick. thou shalt stand with the door open facing the beast. thou shat do a half turn and point your butt towards the drivers seat.thou shalt plop down letting feet follow quickly, promptly and without grunts or groans:cheers:
fred from nashville

·
Registered
143 Posts
ah, what great fun your replies are. btw i HAVE come up with an entry trick. thou shalt stand with the door open facing the beast. thou shat do a half turn and point your butt towards the drivers seat.thou shalt plop down letting feet follow quickly, promptly and without grunts or groans:cheers:
fred from nashville
English transaltion? lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought that shakespearean and or biblical recitation might be in order for such a regal subject....like yo dudes!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I just stand sideways at the door with butt toward the seat and have a seat. Then I swing my legs in. Exit is just the reverse, swing both legs out so I'm sitting sideways in the seat and stand up. I get in and out all my cars the same way. And by the way, I'm also older than dirt at a very healthy/spry 70. Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh....uh, well....very good then....
I just stand sideways at the door with butt toward the seat and have a seat. Then I swing my legs in. Exit is just the reverse, swing both legs out so I'm sitting sideways in the seat and stand up. I get in and out all my cars the same way. And by the way, I'm also older than dirt at a very healthy/spry 70. Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is great! I am "only" 43 and generally I just pretend that I really want to get out of the car that quickly. Parking and exiting in the driveway not a problem, huge issue in a cramped garage. Been hitting the gym to increase leg strength so I do not look like I am always jumping out of the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My brother initiates the egress from his S2000 by swinging BOTH feet out of the car. I have applied this technique in the Cayman with great success.

·
Registered
666 Posts
At 6' 6", nothing is easy. I just fold myself in. At least I fit in the "new" Cayman, the older model I just didn't fit.
Have you ever tried sitting in a 987 or 981 with a helmet on? Odd how the roof is so much lower than a 911. I'm 6' 1" and it's OK for me, but not so much for taller people.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
68 years of age.......workout 3 times per week to stay limber and some decent strength in the ole body. I open the door pivot in the seat put my left leg out and push off the sill with my left hand/arm and bring the right leg out and step up/out.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I consider the entry and exit easy and I'm 70 (but I got used to a 2010 Exige S first). :hilarious:

·
Registered
747 Posts
@ 68 I have to admit ive had easier cars to get out of but its not the worst. The worst was a Lotus Exige S i tracked for 6 years compared to that getting out of the cayman is like a suv . carl

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
51 y/o. My method to exit my Cayman: (1) move seat as far back as it can go; (2) open door and place left hand on door sill; (3) move left foot out the car and onto the ground; (4) using your left hand (which is on the door sill) to support your weight and right leg (which is still in the car), step out. No problem for me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts