Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Porsche a few months ago. The first mod was the exhaust hack which I did the day after I returned. There are many informative threads on how to do the hack. The hack produces a wonderful deep sound with a bit of burble when letting off the gas in 1-3 gears. There is no mistaking the sound of this car now, it is a Porsche. I had my wife do a couple higher revs blips while I was standing behind the car and man the car sounds really pissed off at the higher ranges. What a sound. One of the benefits other than it cost very little to do is that there is no drown too. It seems that drown is a major complaint of most of the aftermarket systems.

Before anyone buys an aftermarket exhaust system I really recommend exploring this mod before you plunk down $1k-5k for an exhaust. I am totally happy with mine.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
cool, yeah I wrote an article on here about that mod. I just got tired of it then went to buying an exhaust, then got tired of that one and got another, then another, and now happy w the one i have

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If you're talking about the free sound mod, then to say it has no drone compared to aftermarket systems is just wrong. Stick the car in 6th at low rpm when on the highway and give it gas and you'll get drone...which is worse than aftermarket systems.

If you can't hear drone then maybe you don't fully understand the "drone" issue or there was something wrong with your exhaust before the mod.

I am not one of the people put off by the increase in drone that the "free mod" or aftermarket systems have, but just don't want others to think exhaust mods don't have drawbacks for some people.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're talking about the free sound mod, then to say it has no drone compared to aftermarket systems is just wrong. Stick the car in 6th at low rpm when on the highway and give it gas and you'll get drone...which is worse than aftermarket systems.

If you can't hear drone then maybe you don't fully understand the "drone" issue or there was something wrong with your exhaust before the mod.

I am not one of the people put off by the increase in drone that the "free mod" or aftermarket systems have, but just don't want others to think exhaust mods don't have drawbacks for some people.
I very much understand what drown is. I had a Z4 with an aftermarket exhaust with a lot of drown but I lived with it. I test drove a Miltek CS a couple months ago and that had a fair amount of drown. And from what I read this particular exhaust is suppose to have one of the least amount of drown out there. I can't detect drown with this hack. Off course it all depends on how large a hole you make in the pipe. I guess what I am saying for the people who are considering an aftermarket exhaust is try the mod first since it takes about 15 min. and a couple bucks in a Dremel saw blade. What is the downside?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It is where you hope the 'drone' doesn't 'drown' out the conversation;)

Seriously, there are some recent threads on this. There is a DYI version and also the option of purchasing a set modified by Gert Carnwell.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KS-CS- you beat me to it. I was just about ready to give bretster the link. It is a great article.

alan93rsa- good eye. rough night. haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys I am having this hack done to my Cayman tomorrow afternoon, does anybody have a sound clip they can send to me on here or to [email protected]? I just don't want the noise to be a cheap boy racer sound.

I hope somebody can help, thanks so much

Chris

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Guys I am having this hack done to my Cayman tomorrow afternoon, does anybody have a sound clip they can send to me on here or to [email protected]? I just don't want the noise to be a cheap boy racer sound.

I hope somebody can help, thanks so much

Chris
It's so simple, and so subjective, I'd really recommend getting a socket wrench and doing the mod yourself. Especially since it needs fine-tuning to get the amount of sound you want (or can stand).

I recommend against just opening a gap between the connector pipes. That lets the sound and gases escape a full 360 degrees. I think the best way is to drill one or more smallish holes that face down and toward the rear. That nearly eliminates drone. The hole's opening size can be adjusted by sliding the connector tube over them - either completely (if you don't like the sound) or partially (to fine tune the sound). And if you still want it louder, enlarge the holes.

BTW, I think opening a gap in the connector pipes weakens the exhaust support in the middle. The connector pipe and the tee connector are the only things that keep the cannisters from sagging in the middle. By opening a gap, you've reduced it's longitudinal strength by 50%. Might not matter for normal driving, but on rough roads/pot-holes is could allow stress.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't seem to find a DIY on the Exhaust Hack for a 987.1. How do you do the exhaust hack? Thanks.
I bought my first Porsche a few months ago. The first mod was the exhaust hack which I did the day after I returned. There are many informative threads on how to do the hack. The hack produces a wonderful deep sound with a bit of burble when letting off the gas in 1-3 gears. There is no mistaking the sound of this car now, it is a Porsche. I had my wife do a couple higher revs blips while I was standing behind the car and man the car sounds really pissed off at the higher ranges. What a sound. One of the benefits other than it cost very little to do is that there is no drown too. It seems that drown is a major complaint of most of the aftermarket systems.

Before anyone buys an aftermarket exhaust system I really recommend exploring this mod before you plunk down $1k-5k for an exhaust. I am totally happy with mine.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Should be the same. Only critical difference btw 987.1 & 2 is the length of the header pipes from headers to mufflers. They both have a connector pipe btw the mufflers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts