Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, did the search, didnt find exactly what I wanted.

My front aluminum splitters are gnarled up and I need a new pair, which Id then like to paint. Is there just the "aluminum look" splitter here":

2006+ Cayman Tequipment 06+ Cayman Front spoiler splitters in Aluminum-look-Carlsen Porsche-Bay Area Porsche Dealer

or is there another front splitter kit thats cheaper and not aluminum. These look like off the aluminum kit. If these are my only choice, I'll order a set. Will I need an extra set of those three grommets on each side too? What is the part number for those monkeys too.

In painting them, I assume some primer and automotive rattle can paint oughta do the trick? Doesn't look or sound too complicated.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Did you try Suncoast @ Suncoast Porsche, Audi, & VW for pricing?

How about carbon fiber? Not sure if it's cheaper but just another option.

Good luck with your search!

-Moto

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes, did the search, didnt find exactly what I wanted.

My front aluminum splitters are gnarled up and I need a new pair, which Id then like to paint. Is there just the "aluminum look" splitter here":

2006+ Cayman Tequipment 06+ Cayman Front spoiler splitters in Aluminum-look-Carlsen Porsche-Bay Area Porsche Dealer

or is there another front splitter kit thats cheaper and not aluminum. These look like off the aluminum kit. If these are my only choice, I'll order a set. Will I need an extra set of those three grommets on each side too? What is the part number for those monkeys too.

In painting them, I assume some primer and automotive rattle can paint oughta do the trick? Doesn't look or sound too complicated.
You can get the splitters in either the '06 stock "Titanium" (stock on the 06 CS) or black and paint them, they are approximately the same price. If you want the custom Alumalook color (a lighter and brighter metallic color), then they are more expensive. As are the stock body colored ones. I was confused by this also, but Titanium and Alumalook while similar looking (but not exact) are different.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My '06 CS came with body colored splitters.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The splitters come in black too? Part number? Or, part numbers for body colored ones (red)?

I checked suncoast but they were 50 bucks more if memory serves.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a much better and cheaper option at $35 than $320 especially since I'm going to paint them anyway. I don't need titanium or alumalook.

I'd like to order a new set I attaching grommets too as I'll probably break or chew the originals up. What's the part number for those?

Huge help so far. Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just stuck a new set on my car. Took some real elbow grease and help from needle nose pliers to get the old grommets out. Once I snapped the new splitters in, I hesitated to put the new grommets in because the splitters snap in so securely as it is.

Im no expert but Im not sure the grommets are needed? Id have to run over something to pry the new splitters off and if I did that, the absence of those grommets would be the least of my worries.

Anyone else running the splitters grommet-free?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long did it take for you to install your front splitters? Did you feel like there was a big risk of you scratching the paint when removing the old splitters? I am getting new splitters myself and have been quoted 500 for the parts, painting, and installation which I feel is high. When I asked them, why so much they said that they would have to remove the bumper to install the splitters otherwise there is a chance that they will scratch the paint on the front bumper. To me this sounds far fetched and I am now thinking about installing these splitters myself.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Far fetched is a pretty tame term for it! I have removed, repainted, and replaced mine at least four times - no scratches, no problems. In fact, I keep a freshly painted set of spares on hand so I can change over in a few minutes, without rushing the paint process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is exactly what I thought. Thanks for the quick reply. Also, right now the new primer based splitters are costing me about 100 in parts and the shop wants to charge about 250 for painting them. Unfortunately, I don't necessarily have the tools or paint to do this myself. Is this a fair estimate? If not, what would be the cost to paint and install myself, time and parts? Or should I just try to negotiate a fair price?

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It probably took me 20 minutes for the first one and 10 minutes to get off the second one. They connect to the bumper like a puzzle piece. There's grooves built into the bumper and theres a bead on the splitters that fit into that groove, along with a couple molded snap type appendanges on the splitters. Once you get the old ones off, you just basically snap the new ones in and give them a fist punch all up and down until they snap in firm flush with the bumper.

My three grommets under the bumper that secure the splitters in were warped and pushed in. This is what took the most time to free up. Just had to wedge some screwdrivers in there to wedge them out a bit, then did the brute force approach with a set of needle nose pliers to yank down and out. If you kind of twist them back and forth as you pull down they come out a bit easier. Kind of bend them out.

Knowing how much of a pain they were to get off, I never put the new grommets on for the new splitters. There is NO WAY the splitters are going to fall off without them. Im not even sure why they are needed. Once the splitters are snapped in firmly, they are there to stay unless you wedge a corner out and begin snapping them out again.

I didnt paint mine. I was going to paint them black, but they came black and the matte finish was fine. If you like black, you can get away without painting. I have black wheels so I have a bunch of black elements on my car so they dont stick out as odd.

I think you could paint them for $30. If they are already primered, just have at it with some color matched spraypaint from paintscratch.com. Then go over with a clearcoat can of spraypaint. If they are not primered, make that step #1 and primer them first. Get an alcohol pad and go over them before you paint them just to get all the muck and plastic "slime" off.

My only worry is the paint cracking as the splitters are plasticky and may flex or expand from heat/movement. Maybe the person above can chime in and say if he's had issues like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great Info! I'll definitely try to get them to come down in price; otherwise, it appears I am in for a fun day painting and installing.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
UDPride is exactly correct about painting. I use the Paintscratch products (don't forget the rubbing compound). I have never had problems with paint cracking. If you are working that hard to get the plastic rivets out, it may be that you have not pushed in the center plug first. Push it in, the plug falls to the inside, and the rivet usually lifts right out. Sometimes you can't retrieve the center plug, and you would need a new rivet. Mostly they can be re-used. I have one hole that is mis-shapen, and I often ruin the rivet getting it out. This is a lot of conversation about a mighty small part!
Marty

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My plugs/grommets were wedged up in there so far they wouldnt pop out nice. So I had to play naughty too in order to free them up. The splitters dont want to pull from the body until those boogers are loose. As I said though, unless you drive your car through an F-5 tornado, those splitters are not coming off even without the plugs.

Glad to hear theres no cracking. For $75 a pair I consider these things wear and tear. My original titanium ones were road rashed to the hilt, especially on their bottoms. Didnt feel like they were made of any higher quality than the cheap black ones. I think Porsche just paints them silver, calls them titanium and charges five times as much.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The front spliters are very easy to remove.
The plugs are removed by simply pushing up on the center
of the plug with a small awl or nail tip. There is a small rod about 1/8" diameter in the center of the plug that you can fully remove by doing this. This rod expands the plug when inserted. After removing the little rod simply push down on the plug from inside the bumper & it falls out.
Have done this a dozen times & should only take a few minutes.
I repaint mine every year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts