Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime... in one sentence:

It's the FUNNIEST ever, very ENTERTAINING and BBC Top Gear is dead to me.

In details without spoilers:
1) The British vs American ongoing jokes were hilarious.
2) The celebrities segment was hilarious.
3) The M2 part was so much fun.
4) The drag race between P1, 918 & LF in my opinion is staged to avoid upsetting anyone.
5) Seeing Porsche and McLaren engineers at the pit together was deeply touched me.
6) The lap results broken down into zone speed and timing was satisfactory.
7) Ferrari's objection to time the 488 is as silly as everything this company stands for.
8) I'd love to see the 488 go against the Huracan, 991 turbo and R8+ plus one day.
9) Last but not least, the intro Mustangs and music did hit a nail in BBC TG coffin. 馃槣

Th verdict, subscribing to Amazon Prime and paying for a VPN router to watch Grand Tour is the best money I spent this year. 馃憤馃槏

Registered
Thanks for this, I will watch it tonight with high expectations! Just a curious question - why do you need a VPN router?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
- why do you need a VPN router?
Amazon Prime is only available in USA, UK, Germany and France (I think). It'll be officially available worldwide starting Dec 1st. However, I came to know my friends that Amazon became available as of today worldwide (unofficially).

From going worldwide I'm sure they'll make tons of profits just from original Top Gear fans subscribing to Amazon, imho.

Administrator
Just finished The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime... in one sentence:

It's the FUNNIEST ever, very ENTERTAINING and BBC Top Gear is dead to me.

In details without spoilers:
1) The British vs American ongoing jokes were hilarious.
2) The celebrities segment was hilarious.
3) The M2 part was so much fun.
4) The drag race between P1, 918 & LF in my opinion is staged to avoid upsetting anyone.
5) Seeing Porsche and McLaren engineers at the pit together was deeply touched me.
6) The lap results broken down into zone speed and timing was satisfactory.
7) Ferrari's objection to time the 488 is as silly as everything this company stands for.
8) I'd love to see the 488 go against the Huracan, 991 turbo and R8+ plus one day.
9) Last but not least, the intro Mustangs and music did hit a nail in BBC TG coffin. 飿

Th verdict, subscribing to Amazon Prime and paying for a VPN router to watch Grand Tour is the best money I spent this year. 飸嶏槏
Aren't you glad I reminded you that it was on? For some reason it showed up in my Amazon Prime queue around dinner time last night so I sat down and watched it while eating dinner. I thought it was funny they named the episode Holy Trinity and of course there was plenty of humor spread throughout. I especially liked Jeremy questioning the gas mileage of the 918 because well who is Porsche owned by? Oh yes Volkswagen. I'm not sure if I like the portable studio tent vs. a real studio somewhere, we will have to see how that plays out. I did miss having a section that was something like automotive news where they'd sit down and talk about recent automotive news and poke fun at some of it, but the new show seems to have moved the needle more towards the entertainment side of things and a little less of the automotive side of things. Of course it is only 1 show so far, a lot more to come.

I suspect the reason you have to use a VPN is that initially the show is only being shown in the US and UK, so if your IP address isn't from one of those then Amazon won't show it to you, unless of course you use a VPN or some other method to disguise where you are actually coming from. I think it goes worldwide in December doesn't it?

I'll be curious to see if Amazon releases numbers for the show so we can compare them to the recent Top Gear numbers.

Registered
I believe there was a legal battle over the studio/tent and the news, with the BBC asserting that a real studio and a news segment would be too much like Top Gear, hence the tent and news-less episode.

Administrator
I believe there was a legal battle over the studio/tent and the news, with the BBC asserting that a real studio and a news segment would be too much like Top Gear, hence the tent and news-less episode.
Studios have been an integral part of TV shows since TV has existed, not sure why Top Gear attorneys thought they could win on that front.... unless of course they copied the TG studio almost verbatim then that would be a problem but simply using a studio shouldn't be, same with having a news segment, lots of automotive news done in automotive shows out there like motorweek etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Registered
I watched it today and it's basically the old Top Gear for better or worse. Entertaining, but not legitimate automotive journalism. Their holy trinity race was the least interesting of all the other ones. The P1 being a second behind the LaFerrari seemed suspect, although they showed it going over gravel and drifting during the hot lap. The new 'Stig' is not as interesting as the old one. He should just drive and not try to be funny (leave that to the trio). The M2 was beat pretty soundly by the 718.

Registered
... The M2 was beat pretty soundly by the 718.
What? Wait. Was there a 718 in the show...?

I watched the show yesterday on Prime and really enjoyed it. I have no problem a lot being similar to TG, I liked that show too. One thing only bothered me: Why drown P1/LaF/918 engine sound with loud music...? Not necessary at all, those cars' exhausts should provide plenty of drama on their own.

Registered
Studios have been an integral part of TV shows since TV has existed, not sure why Top Gear attorneys thought they could win on that front.... unless of course they copied the TG studio almost verbatim then that would be a problem but simply using a studio shouldn't be, same with having a news segment, lots of automotive news done in automotive shows out there like motorweek etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
IDK. British law may be more restrictive.

Registered
The Grand Tour

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone!"

The boys are back. I felt so happy Friday night. Anyone else? Thoughts? Opinions?

Registered
I liked it but it's because I knew they were gonna be just like old top gear. Mainly it's great to see those 3 hoon about. I didn't like the overall direction they were going with just doing stupid crap and not providing consumers any feedback on products that they easily have access to. So for me it was back to something familiar. I liked it so 8 out of 10. I loved the image quality on my 4k TV without hdr. So with hdr it will be absolutely stunning. So watch out netflix up your **** 4k streams because amazon streaming has you beat completely in that department. I'm very glad the trio are back. We're they overhyped? Yes but in a good way. Some of the gags were a bit lame. But like I said glad they're back solid 8 out of 10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12
Who else watched Grand Tour E2?

I just did and it was hilarious. Although the episode was based in South Africa but it was mainly about Jordan SAS Training Facility... and it was hilarious especially the Queen part with James. I see Grand Tour is 100% the extension of old Top Gear but with an open budget.

PS for the viewers, trust it snows in Amman every winter.

Registered
Watched the second installment tonight and it was the funnies thing I have ever seen. Those guys have nailed it!

Registered
Overall I liked ep2 but thought the rescue sequence dragged on too long and became boring at times. I also personally can't stand "The American."
Agreed on "The American" as the character is awful and insulting to the U.S.

Registered
Watched the second installment tonight and it was the funnies thing I have ever seen. Those guys have nailed it!
Different strokes for sure. The studio segments are so overproduced it's silly. The "American" makes no sense at all, and what the hell did that god-awful 20 minute long segment on rescuing the Queen have to do with anything? Watching James May stand around while a bunch of kids do burnouts could have been sooooo much better.

Here's hoping they stop trying so hard to win over a new American audience and go back to what made the previous Top Gear great.

Registered
I was a huge fan of TG when the guys were on it. I enjoyed Ep1 of The Grand Tour, and it looks amazing in 4K HDR. I thought the air force argument and the celebrity death sequence went on too long, but overall it was fun.

Ep2 left me disappointed. As you guys mentioned, the rescue portion went on waaay too long, and "The American" is just insulting at this point (and I'm no super sensitive uber patriot).
We seem to get a few minutes of a car show, and way too much "general entertainment". I'm worried the Amazon format gives them too much leeway on content. I guess we'll see where the series heads, but I'm concerned at this point.

Registered
The first episode was good, and the second one sucked in my opinion.

I want to see more about cars and less BS.

Registered
Yeah I am in agreement about the second episode being quite bad actually. I definitely don't like that track that they test their cars on and I definitely don't like their driver. I definitely didn't care for the hostage rescue segment. I mean it was funny but it had nothing remotely to do with cars. I think even they were aware the 2nd episode would be the weakest part of their lineup. But the video quality has been gorgeous. My TV does not have HDR but the colors pop and 4K looks tack sharp. I have said it before and I will say it again. Amazon video quality >> Netflix video quality at least for 4K.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #20
E3 was absolutely terrible!

1) the choice of cars either the RR or AM felt so much like a dated TG episode. And the Hellcat ugliness truly is something I can't tolerate seeing down the street let along watching it for an hour on TV.
2) nothing new, no humor could rescue the episode
3) and yes The American is truly starting to get on my nerves.

Out of 5 stars, I'd rate this E3 with ZERO stars. :(

1 - 20 of 56 Posts