Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Porsches4ed for the step-by-step instructions (including bumper removal) & DaveN007 for tips installing over clear bra.

I really like the look of this... I can skip the GT3 bumper for a while. :)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Now that looks good!!

·
CVR Rally Chair
71 Posts
I agree that looks nice! I tend to prefer the Cayman/Boxster's stock styling as opposed to putting a GT3 or other bumper on it. This does the trick!

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
I am planing to add the same vent. My car has the third radiator, and this vent should add adequate air flow through and out of the radiator.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
I am planing to add the same vent. My car has the third radiator, and this vent should add adequate air flow through and out of the radiator.

If your car has the standard Cayman installation of the 3rd radiator this vent will not help at all. The 3rd radiator in the Cayman angles down and is ducted to vent out the bottom of the car. On the GT3 the radiator angles upward and is ducted out the vent shown in this thread.

Remember, the overall aerodynamics of the Cayman are coordinated with the bottom venting radiator.

Personally, I do not care for any non-functional (or negatively functional) modifications. Just too Poseur.

Cheers,

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Personally, I do not care for any non-functional (or negatively functional) modifications. Just too Poseur.

Cheers,
Please post pics of your primer gray, badge-less car. ;)

·
1,932 Posts
Please post pics of your primer gray, badge-less car. ;)
That would be my 72 Vega and I totalled it in 84. Also, the front of my Cayman looks just about primer grey from all the chips, etc.

The vent looks good on your car though Dave. ;)

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Krokodil, if my only concern is better venting of the center radiator, what should I do? Should I enlarge some of the openings in the lower part of the bumper? any especific information on the subject would be appreciated.

I share the filosophy of functional modifications. My car on the outside looks stock except for the aftermarket exhaust tips.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If your car has the standard Cayman installation of the 3rd radiator this vent will not help at all. The 3rd radiator in the Cayman angles down and is ducted to vent out the bottom of the car. On the GT3 the radiator angles upward and is ducted out the vent shown in this thread.
Cheers,
Krokodil,

When I installed the center radiator (BTW thanks for the great tips...) I remember clearly the air deflector behind the radiator that pushed the air down, perhaps it could be possible to rotate this deflector 180 degrees, so re-routes the air upwards, through the GT3 center vent..?

Maybe this new air route was not considered by the Porsche designers, but it seems that the air going up should help pushing the nose down (at speed) and as a side benefit should also help to keep hot air away from the front rotors, what do you think...?

Yes, I do like the look of the GT3 vent, perhaps if I made one functional they can't call me a posseur..?
ha!

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
That would be my 72 Vega and I totalled it in 84. Also, the front of my Cayman looks just about primer grey from all the chips, etc.

The vent looks good on your car though Dave. ;)

Cheers,

A V8 Vega was my junior high dream car. Seriously.
I still think they are good looking little cars. The idea of stuffing "huge power" into a little car...

Cosmetic stuff? To each his own. :cheers:

·
1,932 Posts
Krokodil, if my only concern is better venting of the center radiator, what should I do? Should I enlarge some of the openings in the lower part of the bumper? any especific information on the subject would be appreciated.

I share the filosophy of functional modifications. My car on the outside looks stock except for the aftermarket exhaust tips.
jaica,

Yes, you need to modify the bottom of the front bumper cover to match that on the tiptronic. Not a big deal really, just a bit if cutting.

I will send you three PMs with guidlines on the installation of the raditor and modifcation of the bumper.

Cheers,

·
1,932 Posts
Krokodil,

When I installed the center radiator (BTW thanks for the great tips...) I remember clearly the air deflector behind the radiator that pushed the air down, perhaps it could be possible to rotate this deflector 180 degrees, so re-routes the air upwards, through the GT3 center vent..?

Maybe this new air route was not considered by the Porsche designers, but it seems that the air going up should help pushing the nose down (at speed) and as a side benefit should also help to keep hot air away from the front rotors, what do you think...?

Yes, I do like the look of the GT3 vent, perhaps if I made one functional they can't call me a posseur..?
ha!

Gilles,

The 3rd radiator installation on the GT3 requires different brackets and ducting to angle the radiator upward and direct the air out the nose. I think it is the same radiator PN, but the brackets, hoses, ducts, etc. are all different.

Directing the airflow over the nose may or may not help/hurt. It depends on the mass and speed of air going under vs. over the car and how this is balanced with the rest of the aero. I do not know the answer, so I opted to go the Porsche engineer knows more than me route.

Cheers,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks great! Can you post pics from further away?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

And even further away:

·
Registered
59 Posts
So is it an easy install? I really have been spending alot of time the past weeks or so looking at used CS's (I love the PDK, but the Turbo kit is calling) but wanted something diffrent for the front. Not a huge fan of the addon front aero kits that I have seen, but the GT3 grill looks sweet on the car, and would save me from spending $5K on one of the aftermarket front end kits that I was thinking of

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found it relatively easy to install - just takes time and steady hand. I used painters tape to cover most of the bumper, and used a marker to trace out the vent on the tape. Then, used a cutting disc on a dremel to cut out the bumper. There is an article on this mod you should check out before attempting. G'luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts