Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get thoughts of whether owners have any guilty feelings on spending so much on such a beautiful car?

I am struggling with a bit of guilt of wanting to purchase a Cayman GTR, the last 4 years of my life have been painful and I am in a situation where financially I can afford to have one. I have NEVER owned a proper sports car and I guess being in my 40s I dont want to have the regret that in 10 years from now I wish I had made the purchase.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Paradise
I don't think you are going to find any nay sayers on this forum. If you can swing it go for it. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Between the two 987Ss I own, I've spent $100K collectively to buy them. That was substantially more than I spent on my house (which I bought 26 yrs ago). Don't regret it at all - they bring enjoyment to my life. If you can financially afford the move, do it. Life can turn on a dime. Like Ferris Bueller says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
did you work hard? if yes , you deserve one..

your in your mid 40's .. so what! When are you gonna get one, when your in retirement? 60 when you don't drive as good...? so , get one now !

Life is only lived once. if it makes you happy , proud and feel alive... Get one!

Lemon

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I would like to get thoughts of whether owners have any guilty feelings on spending so much on such a beautiful car?
Of course ...

Every time I look at it,
Every time I turn the key,
Every time I take a corner,
Every time I hear the boxer engine sing its song,
Every time I am on the cam and hear it wail in full song at WOT ...

I feel guilty ... not.

If you are truly concerned, read every post in http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-...ell-people-you-have-porsche-keep-private.html because your guilt will eat at you.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
The key is having the disposable income. If you can easily afford the car, why feel guilty? I know that it's a lot of money to spend on what is essentially a toy, but so what. You earned the money, so enjoy yourself while you can since there are no guarantees about the future.

·
Registered
994 Posts
After a rough couple years and having the affordability, I would go for it. It will put a smile on your face every time you turn the key! You only live once as
they say!

·
Premium Member
548 Posts

I am struggling with a bit of guilt of wanting to purchase a Cayman GTR, the last 4 years of my life have been painful and I am in a situation where financially I can afford to have one. I have NEVER owned a proper sports car and I guess being in my 40s I dont want to have the regret that in 10 years from now I wish I had made the purchase.
I honestly don't get the guilt tripping. Like others have said - if you want it, if you feel you can afford it then do it. If it's wrong, or you get other priorities in life - just sell it? It's not a life altering decision, like having a kid...or a wife. ;)

Best of luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Do you have your retirement funds covered? Is your family secure? Your kids' college education arranged? These should come first, in my opinion.

Everyone is different. Some people spend and have no savings, and have zero guilt about living in a $10 million home, and driving $100,000 cars. Then, you read about them filing for bankruptcy. Pro athletes and entertainers come to mind.

Other people have more money than they could spend in a lifetime, but still feel guilty about spending on luxury items.

Do a financial analysis, and see on paper if you have anything to worry about now or in the future. It might assuage your guilt. Plus, it's a good time in your life to do it anyway.

You're young. I can tell from your post that you think being in your 50s is old...but when you get there, you won't feel the same, I promise you.

If you feel guilty now, wait until you take delivery of the car. Ask yourself if you will be able to sleep at night.

Reactions: Spokayman

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I honestly can't wrap my head around the concept of feeling guilty about owning a car. I do feel a bit sorry for the schmucks that are afraid to do what makes them happy, and feel uncomfortable if they stray from the fat spot of the bell curve.

Reactions: KRG

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My take is. If the purchase of the car isn't affecting the basic needs of you and your family, then no problem.

I mean if you are struggling to send your kids to school in order to pay for your little car? Then you better feel guilty about it. Otherwise, drive and enjoy.

Personally, I tend to set my budget based on the preference that no financing is involved. And even if the financing is a smoking deal, I would put the car's value into something that is pretty safe and yields some marginally higher return. That way I don't have to worry about paying the car off in potential financial downturns. I would much rather own a Cayman in cash than own a an .2 RS on financing.

another thing to think about is, if you drive your car off the cliff tomorrow while drunk and your insurance company refuses to pay you. Would you end up in a terrible financial situation? If you tell me none of the above applies to you, then you really have got not reason to feel guilty.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Go for it! My only regret, it is that I didn't buy the car years ago.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
When are you gonna get one, when your in retirement? 60 when you don't drive as good...? so , ---------

Lemon
Hey!!! No need to get personal with some of us! :)

Seriously, If your family needs are secure, Kid's educations ect. GET the car. I drove uninspiring cars from the time my first child was born until I was 50 and all those things I mentioned were taken care of. Now I'm 60. Guess what? I can still drive! :) (I am kind of concerned about 80 though :) )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have your retirement funds covered? Is your family secure? Your kids' college education arranged? These should come first, in my opinion.

Everyone is different. Some people spend and have no savings, and have zero guilt about living in a $10 million home, and driving $100,000 cars. Then, you read about them filing for bankruptcy. Pro athletes and entertainers come to mind.

Other people have more money than they could spend in a lifetime, but still feel guilty about spending on luxury items.

Do a financial analysis, and see on paper if you have anything to worry about now or in the future. It might assuage your guilt. Plus, it's a good time in your life to do it anyway.

You're young. I can tell from your post that you think being in your 50s is old...but when you get there, you won't feel the same, I promise you.

If you feel guilty now, wait until you take delivery of the car. Ask yourself if you will be able to sleep at night.
I generally agree and if you are reasonably financially secure, go for it. I waited until I was 59 to get my first Porsche and now on my second (I did have lots of other sports cars, before my first Porsche (a 911 Cab) I had an e46 M3. I wish I would have done it before, I could afford it, but always kept thinking about the financial commitment. You can also get a fairly new CPO Porsche, best of both worlds, factory warranty and lower entry cost.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Agree with all the above. If you can afford it, go for it. You can't take it with you, so spend it while you got it. Nothing wrong with rewarding yourself for a life of hard work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Look at this way, when you're old and in the Nursing Home, would you rather regret what you didn't do or be happy with the all the memories of what you did do....just saying o_O

Get the car, join the PCA and attend all the Porsche events that you can!

·
Registered
239 Posts
As others have said, the key to not having guilt is to ensure you have your financial priorities covered.
And if you don't know or understand what your financial priorities are or should be, you could seek out advice and learn.
When these things are covered, you will more easily feel comfortable and worthy of a reward to yourself.
This reward may not be a $30K-$80K Cayman. It might be a 996, a 944, etc. (less$).
Owning lesser value Porsche cars is how I, and I believe many others, have started Porsche ownership. Every Porsche model is special and brings that Porsche mystique with it IMO.
It is also my personal opinion that if you have to finance a sports car to buy it, you are not truly in a financial position to afford it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nope. I'm already on my second 981! When I ordered my first I had feelings of guilt, but they quickly dissipated when it arrived. Almost 2 years and a switch from Boxster to Cayman later..no guilt...and I'm 27.

If you've worked hard and want this car..get yourself one and don't feel guilty; feel proud. I find that people who are not in the position to have one of these cars are still able to share the excitement with me. I'm constantly getting questions or asked for a closer look by upbeat, excited strangers. I haven't experienced any negativity.

·
Registered
874 Posts
At a certain income level (almost always resulting from effort and accomplishment) cars like the Cayman become possible. The list of automobiles in the price range we are talking about is actually fairly large these days with MB, Audi, BMW, and even Nissan offering models to separate you from a certain amount of cash. That list should be an indication that many people are OK with spending a similar sum of money. No one (although us folks on the internet do know everything ;)) can tell you what the right decision is for you but I would echo the sentient of others here......to wit, a decision on a car should not make you feel guilty because it is a decision you can reverse if circumstances change. A car is something that can add enjoyment to a part of life that the 'car as refrigerator' crowd will never understand. Don't let that crowd influence your decision with first world guilt.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts