Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for the car at least.... :)

P9'ers, thanks so much for your comment and past posts. They've helped me finding my new to me pre-loved, Cayman.
I received delivery of the grey 2009 Cayman 2.9 PDK w 19" Lobster claws just before Christmas and boy has it been an experience! My first real sports car!

I must admit being a bit worried about the firm ride when I drove her home since it was my first time on the roads in my area. I test drove both 18 and 19 inch configurations on bumpy roads (equivalent to Manhattan style undulations and man holes or British B roads and potholes and and with stock suspension I didnt feel a big difference in comfort. A bit firmer than my previous ride but overall roll and body handling is miles better with balanced damping. I wouldnt call it as comfortable as a F30 BMW 328i though but I guess that is part of the connection to the road.

Took the car on some of my favourite roads every chance I got for a quick blast and had a FUN time so far.
Over 500km (about 310 miles) covered so far, I now know the reason why critics and car reviewers rave about the Boxster and Cayman.

Do feel a lot lower than other traffic though - making some junction exits a little bit more challenging that in a midsize sedan and feel a bit claustrophobic in stop and go traffic, surrounded by SUVs and Pickups. PDK feels like a caged animal in 1st 2 gears waiting to unleash the power of the flat 6. On open roads or the twisties, PDK is a brilliant companion.

Glad to have stock suspension as the car just managed to clear the speed humps and ramps to the parking garage and basement parking which is critical in city life.
I think PASM or sport would not have cleared some including my own parking ramp.

Spent a bit of time touching up the car (will post this up separately), Xpel film for lights and 3M Crystalline tinting installed giving it protection against the sun.
(see the before and after pics below - even Lewis Hamilton was nearby)

Looking forward to learning more from the community here.... cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Do feel a lot lower than other traffic though - making some junction exits a little bit more challenging that in a midsize sedan and feel a bit claustrophobic in stop and go traffic, surrounded by SUVs and Pickups.
Yep, that's a scary part there. I know how it feels.

Nevertheless, congratulations for the new toy. Enjoy it and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congratulations to you indeed .. I am envious at how much more lovely the rear euro bumper facilitates the lines of this Cayman model.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congratz on the find , she is beautiful! You will enjoy every second you get to drive her. I still do when I drive mine and would bet every person on here has pretty much the same sentiment . I too never knew how insanely brilliant driving a Porsche is, I am spoiled now and will never look at another brand.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do feel a lot lower than other traffic though - making some junction exits a little bit more challenging that in a midsize sedan and feel a bit claustrophobic in stop and go traffic, surrounded by SUVs and Pickups.
This might sound silly, but I suggest you try adjusting the seat higher. The seat can be set too low, in which case you can have difficulty seeing out of the car. It was for me.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Congrats, very nice car!

·
Registered
108 Posts
This might sound silly, but I suggest you try adjusting the seat higher. The seat can be set too low, in which case you can have difficulty seeing out of the car. It was for me.
Yeap, I had that problem. I'm only 5'5" (barely, more like 5'4.5") and had to adjust the seat higher.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Hassaan, spot on - its all relative to the monster cars around... My worst nightmare is trucks and lorries! I feel so tiny!

Trev450.... haha I guess need to be patient and find the right car for you takes time...

Crazycayman, yes the 3M tint does look good. will post more up soon!

Steelkite, I'm guessing the only difference is the bumperette required by US Law right? gives you some extra insurance if being rear ended at certain speeds.

Americo11, I just got back from a driving session and yes you are right! I have a feeling its going to be difficult to top a Cayman as a DD - perhaps a Macan?

Dennisg, Dizon248 - I am 6 2" so the seat is at the lowest position - just that the car is overall lower than many other "monsters".

rackhenry, racergreg, flybot, thanks!

Some other observations... the sound of the engine is silky smooth compared to other engines. Sooo much so. I now understand what Tom Voelk means by "like a Rolex". See youtube below.
The CDR30 sound system is actually not too bad for my non audiophile ears. What is even more surprising is that I hardly listen to it since I am always listening to the engine and exhaust!

And thanks for the elbow exit thread - been using a combination of entry/exit methods and trying to find the best for me.

Happy 2015 all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts