Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People have asked that I post up my travel adventure, so today it begins!

A little background: I’m new to the world of Porsche, and have been looking for a car for several months now. My two largest hurdles have been getting people to respond to inquiries about cars for sale, and viewing cars that have been verbally misrepresented.

Well, a few days ago I located a vehicle in Arizona, and I’m currently sitting in an airport in Minneapolis Minnesota awaiting boarding.

Uncharacteristically, I have no solid return plans. No hotel reservations. A couple of driving routes in mind. I’ll just drive until I get tired, and then find a place to rest my weary head.
Basically, I’m flying by the seat of my pants on this one! All in all, it will be about a 1,636 mile trip home.

I had been looking for a transport company to pick up and deliver the car to me. However, on such short notice, no one was able to give me an estimated date of pickup. “Could be 3 days, could be 3 months” is what I was told.

I’ll try my best to update this post along the way. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Good luck with your trip. It will be a ton of fun. Porsches are great long distance drivers and will eat up the miles.

Keep your eye on the weather. Your new Cayman will have summer tires and will be useless in the smallest of snows. You may want to work your way east in the lower portion of the US until you get to I-35. Going thru the Rockies may be tempting fate at this time of the year.

Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
13,998 Posts
I read your other thread and the other advice sounds mostly sound and logical precautions, but this is the first I read your buying an AZ car and driving to MN. As husker says, if you got summer tires on that car your asking for trouble weather dependent. Below the low 40s, any precipitation, doesn't have to be freezing, is problematic. Any sleet, snow and forget about it.

You will find some who tell you not to worry about cold temps because "the had no problems". Be very wary. It drops below freezing, IMO, go find a hotel and head away from the weather. Big mistake using summer tires below 40, an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
897 Posts
@Zoey - best of luck on your adventure. Last year during the spring, summer and fall I managed to do 15K miles of road trips in my my Cayman and on each trip I had a general idea of where I was going to but never made any firm plans or reservations and it’s the best way to travel IMO.

one tip I would give you is to use an App like Booking dot Com for hotels when you get tired. I used it on all my road trips - when I got tired of driving I’d find some dinner and check the App for a decent place.

Again, best of luck and safe travels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any of the group hotel booking sites on your phone should be your friend. Stop at about 3:30PM and decide where you'd be able to get to by 5-6PM, just before dark. Poke that location in the hotel search app - and see what deal you can get. I've crossed the US using this technique about 12 times now, 4 times on a motorcycle, the other 8 by Cayenne (and once in a Lexus, once in a SAAB 92..).

A decent mid-range hotel chain is Choice Hotels - they have everything from Econolodge to their Ascend hotels - something for everyone. Best part about them is their rewards plan, for every 2 nights you stay at one of their hotels you get enough points that an equivalent room can be had for free. Pay 2, sleep 3. Expedia is my go-to for searching everyplace within a location. One thing I've noticed, and why I suggested stopping around 3:30PM - many hotels change prices around 4PM. They know by 4PM if they'll have enough reservations to fill the place - so they start charging more for the same room.

If you're not time-constrained - take your time - look for the blue highways that parallel the interstate. There is nothing special about driving a 987 on the interstate unless it's the Autobahn.. (or maybe a few interstates in Nevada). On the blue highways - slow down to the speed limit in small towns (hungry LEO's who can't arrest locals, so goes after out-of-state) and have fun in between. Look for the oddball things to see - it really makes a trip memorable.

Have FUN!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello one and all! Day one is in the books

Well, here she is. A 2007 base Cayman with 22K on the odometer. Clean CarFax, maintenance records, a new water pump, and an upgraded exhaust.

Speaking of exhaust, it sounds pretty darn good. However, 9 straight hours of listening to the drone had me reaching for earplugs.

Sure enough, the car has summer shoes on it which, given the volatile weather and low temperatures, is a bit nerve racking. I’ll be reevaluating my route in the morning. Unless anyone has a better plan, I was planning on driving to Wichita tomorrow.

I was pretty much on the move all day long, so I didn’t pull over to take photos. It’s quite a beautiful area around Phoenix, and I know I’ll look back with regret.

This guy needs some pillow time. I’ll check back here before I head out in the morning. Thanks everyone for your advice/words of wisdom! I appreciate it very much!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Cool car, I would not worry about the temperature so much as long as roads are dry and clear, just drive faster it will put more heat in the tires

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@OC_Cayman 😁 Thanks man!

@husker boxster @chows4us @Greywolf
The tire situation truly does concern me, and I thank both of you for speaking up. I have Toyo R888’s on one of my cars, and in the cold, they are basically blocks of solid rubber. Clearly not a good thing.

@deilenberger Thanks for the ideas. Tonight I just rolled onto a hotel and told the receptionist “I pray you have a room for me. I’ve been at it since 03:30am. If you don’t have a room, I’d be willing to sleep in a laundry basket”. She found it humorous, and cut me a break on a room for the night.

My only time constraint is that I need to be back home my Monday night. I agree that interstate miles are mundane at best, but I’m on a mission. There will be plenty of time for sight seeing and twisties when the weather warms up.

@Poorsche x Thanks! I actually had a couple of people looking at it while filling up the gas tank somewhere in NM today. This car is going to easily steal the thunder from my TTRS.

·
Incurable Gearhead
937 Posts
Beautiful. And Carrera Classics, too. My favorite of the factory 987 wheels. Congrats on adopting this little cream puff!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Run the VIN thru vinanalytics.com to get the option sheet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks @Arch
@immerohnegott ”3C8”? Now you’re speaking well above my head. Yes, it’s Cobalt Blue👍. I’ve never owned a blue car. I’ve got the feeling it’s going to be challenging to keep clean.

On a side-note, last night I used a decibel meter phone app to check the noise levels in the car. At 80mph, the phone shows 91db. I’ll definitely be wearing earplugs for the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@husker boxster I did before I left home. It wasn’t a lengthy list at all. I remember seeing: 19” wheels, sport seats, Bose, heated seats, preferred package Plus.....and I think that was pretty much it.

Driving this car is a completely different experience when compared to my TTRS. Bump steer, rough ride, rowing my own gears, anemic at best powder.
But, I Love It because it is a completely different experience. It reminds me of my yesteryear cars; Triumph Spitfire and a Lotus Elise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks @Arch
@immerohnegott ”3C8”? Now you’re speaking well above my head. Yes, it’s Cobalt Blue👍. I’ve never owned a blue car. I’ve got the feeling it’s going to be challenging to keep clean.

On a side-note, last night I used a decibel meter phone app to check the noise levels in the car. At 80mph, the phone shows 91db. I’ll definitely be wearing earplugs for the rest of the trip.
what exhaust does it have?

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Zoey 3C8 is (IIRC, will have to doublecheck the sticker inside the fuel door) the paint code for cobalt blue :) It's not super easy to keep looking as sharp as possible, but having owned a black car long ago it's not so bad in the grand scheme of things. Tis a good color by my reckoning, bright enough to turn heads but not not quite to a "pull me over, please" level.

I guess since you have some experience with it, how does it compare to the Elise? I've not had the chance to drive one, but my spidey-senses tell me it's a good bit more "raw" than the P-car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@prihtvi Its a Fabspeed.

@immerohnegott Oh, without a doubt, it’s significant more raw than the Cayman. In the Elise, if you run over a cricket in the road, you’ll know its gender. The steering is just that communicative.
Everything in an Elise rattles. If it doesn’t, something is wrong. Speaking of rattles, the rear hatch on the Cayman is making quite a racket. I seem to recall it’s not uncommon, and a bit challenging to remedy.

Anyway, if you take away all of the Caymans refinements, and make it a track focused car that just happens to be street legal, you’ve got an Elise.

I made it to Wichita tonight. Long boring drive, but it looks like the weather is going to be on my side for the final leg of the journey. Despite doing everything possible to avoid semi trucks, my poor car has taken a pounding from stones. My windshield is completely peppered, and I may have to replace it at some point😥.

The lower portion of the frunk lid has also been chipped up. Luckily, one of my buds has worked in auto body his entire life, so I’ll have him teach me how to make it look like new. Either way, makes me pretty sad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saw this GTR on the road while traveling through NM. I’ve not seen one in the flesh.
I’ve had to be pretty cognizant of my speed during this trip; especially in Arizona and New Mexico. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen so many State Troopers as I have on this trip. Just about every car that passed me with gusto ended up getting pulled over.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts