Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
My glass with less than 40,000 miles looks so bad I hope if I change to a different brand it holds up better, I had the same issue on a previous Cayman, my winter car a 2008 CVR 155,000 miles no windshield issues, must be a Porsche thing
Same here, on my third Porsche and the glass wears worse than our other cars. My 981 isn't horrible after 60K but our Prius looks better with 100K on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the dealer (Baker Motors in Charleston) replace my front windscreen — St. Gobain was what they used. (Here in S. Carolina state law mandates that all auto insurance has $0 deductible glass replacement coverage, so cannot chime in on cost.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
@schell

As I said before, the front of the car took a pounding driving the ~2000 miles home. I got a lot of paint chips on the frunk lid and bumper. ........Touching up each and every single chip is pretty much out of the question as they never look very good. The other option would be to repaint the entire front of the car. However, that would be very expensive, and I'd run the real risk of the paint not matching.

My other option is to simply put a clear bra on, without doing any paint repair. I had a small piece of 3M clear bra, so I put it on the car, over an area with several chips. I'll let it flash off for a few days, and then see what it looks like out in the sun.
Zoey,
when I got my new to me 981 CS it had dozens of paint chips mostly on the frunk and even some on the fenders and roof. The headlights and windshield also had some chips. I got the dealer to lower the price Of the car and also replace the windshield. I wanted to get a clear bra but knew I would have to repair the chips as they would show. I got a Porsche touch up kit and applied several applications as some chips were down to the primer and finished it with the clear coat. I bought a detail sander kit with 1000 and 1500 grit sand paper and Meguiars Scratch X2.0 compound. I wet sanded the repairs to get a good smooth repair and with the foam backer I did not sand through the surrounding clear coat. The wet sanding put a dull finish to the clear coat that was completely restored to a factory shine with the compound and the buffer.

This worked so well I wet sanded and buffed out the nicks and the delamination problem I had on my headlights. I went ahead and self installed Lamin-X film on the headlights and fog lights and am happy with the results. I have Agate Gray metallic paint and a couple of the scratch repairs are noticeable where I didn’t shake it long enough and the metallic is a little heavy but everything is smooth and should work well with the clear bra. I had no previous experience with this type of repair but I am happy with the results and it saved me a respray.
Jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
@981cayman*s Many moons ago I did the same thing to a car as yourself. It's extremely laborious, yet rewarding work. Having said that, I think I will repair some of the larger chips, put vinyl stripes on the car to cover the rest (depending upon the color of the vinyl, they may or may not be noticeable), and then clear bra over the front end.

I fully expect that some of the chips will show through the bra. It seems like most cars have front end chips to some degree, and I don't think that the average person would notice, let alone care. Not an ideal solution, but for the time being, at least the car will be protected from further damage.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts