Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! The Cayman GT4! How long have we all waited for this car? Probably too long. But now, finally the Cayman we have all dreamed of is about to descend on us. Are you ready!? Personally I have to wait a bit for my pulse rate to go down. Whoa, take it easy, settle down there boy. Bottom line, the GT4 is what we had hoped the Porsche motorsport division would build. I can only hope they build enough of them to satisfy our desire.
So I eagerly went online to build one. There are not a lot of options, looks like Porsche decided to equip it with all the go fast goodies, the choicest bits from the GT3 included as standard. PASM, PTV, revised suspension geometry, all these bits are included in the price of admission. The only options that count? Carbon fiber racing seats, a track analytics package and PCM (Porsche Navigation) should be pretty popular and somewhat cost effective. For the ultimate track rats, Porsche PCCB (Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes) are recommended by Porsche. But at $7400, that is a pretty pricy option, especially when the standard steel GT3 brakes are standard and are fantastic.
I know that all the ads and marketing materials show the GT4 in yellow and frankly there is a pretty big color pallet available. But for me, the yellow one is where it is all at. I mean it shows the GT4 perfectly; all the compound curves, angles and textures truly come to live in yellow. That huge rear wing, those side strakes embossed with GT4 logos, huge air intakes in the front, it all screams Porsche Motorsports and it screams it best in yellow. Nuf said…
I read that Porsche will offer a Club Sport package in Europe and probably the ROW for that matter. But the US? Not so much. A roll bar, fire extinguisher, driver side harnesses and wiring for a kill switch. What does the US DOT think we are going to do with that option pack? Take the GT4 to the track? Come on….we might not take it to the Nurburgring and try for that 7:40 lap, but I for one would LOVE that option. We will not see it here on our shores. That does not mean that enterprising companies will offer something similar for folks that might want to consider taking their Cayman GT4 on track…just saying.
All in, my GT4 came to 95 thousand large. I gotta say, it is totally worth it. Every penny. Now there is the challenge with coming up with the afore mentioned 95 large. But I am a VERY patient person. Most likely that means waiting a few years. I can only hope that the GT4 is NOT one of those Porsches that never feel that knife of depreciation. That is somehow feels that gentle downward slope to affordability.
Deep sigh! I look on those curves, that HUGE rear wing, the aggressive side intakes and realize that this Porsche is the one I have been waiting for. Forget Corvette Z06’s, older GT3’s, Ferrari’s, Lambo’s and exotic Shelby massaged Mustang’s, this is the one car that I can live with. The one car that will make me smile every time I twist the key, every time I let the clutch out and feel the drivetrain grab. The GT4 is the perfect Porsche. And I for one can’t wait till I can call one my own.
Of course that means waiting a few years…but as I mentioned I am a very patient person. And on that exhaust note see you all next time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I really want one too! I havent been this excited about a Porsche since the Cayman R was announced!

The 918 Spyder is the exception, but Ive only seen a Spyder on TV and the internet, so it seems unreal. not many of us have a cool million for that.

Ive taken the Cayman R for a short spin around the block, I've seen the GTS in the showroom, and the reviews of the GTS are impressive.
The very idea of a GT4 makes me break out in a cold sweat. Somebody pinch me!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts