Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Keeping the dream alive. What should I do?

• Buy out my Gen I car for $28k and really mod the thing over time.

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Move out of California, and buy a new GT3.

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Buy a used Gen II car, loaded, w/ PDK and call it a day.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Get a used mini because they are green and feature "go-kart" handling.

Votes: 4 3.5%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The option to buy my 2008 CS comes up in September of 2012. Our kids will be 14, 12, 10, and 5 at the time.

It is likely that the family truckster will be a 2011 Honda Odyssey, and I have an SUV I intend to be buried in.

I have done the math, and I know that my taxes will be going up by more than the monthly payment on a new Porsche x 3. My kids will be within a car loan's period of educational expenses.

I am determined to own a fun car, however.

Please check the poll options and tell me what I should do.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I voted move out of Kalifornia.Not just because of the gt3 deal........The way things are it would probably be a good idea to move out of the states.Heck i wonder if I did that if i could buy a GT......P.S Tell the kids that a high school diploma is a fine thing to have and that they will go far....Then burn out down the driveway in your new Porsche.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
4 kids, school age, you have been paying CA taxes long enough - stay there till all 4 graduate form a Cali school. After all, you have already paid for it.

Great roads, great weather, combine that with a Gen 2 car... lots of fun!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I voted for option #2 because I got smart and already did the first part and plan on doing the 2nd part in the next 10 years. Four and a half years is my plan to complete the task, although it may not be realistic.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Tough choices. You obviously know the history of your car and that is a large benefit which might sway me in the direction of keeping it.

For the moving part it really depends on how well you like the spot you wake up in every day. You spend far less time in a car so I'd put location in front of the car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I voted for #3 but think you should do that after you've fled California. The move will save you money on taxes (state, property and more), you will almost certainly spend less on real estate (of course if you're upside-down in your home there...) and leave a state sinking into economic ruin (thanks state government!). :eek: Run, Dave, run!
Of course all this is dependent on whether you can easily move your career elsewhere.
Good Luck,
BW

·
Registered
502 Posts
I voted for #3 but think you should do that after you've fled California. The move will save you money on taxes (state, property and more), you will almost certainly spend less on real estate (of course if you're upside-down in your home there...) and leave a state sinking into economic ruin (thanks state government!). :eek: Run, Dave, run!
Of course all this is dependent on whether you can easily move your career elsewhere.
Good Luck,
BW
Move out of CA. I moved there when I was 20 and moved out 5 or 6 years later. Things are a lot cheaper and many states have a lot to offer. After a couple years I bought a house with 1.5 acres (would have been insanely expensive in CA), bought a G35, a truck, a porsche, save a lot more money, insurance less, etc. Sales tax is 6% compared to double digits in CA.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We lived in CA for 4 years while I was in the Air Force. Love the ocean and scenery and will probably move back when I retire from current job and family no longer needs us. Mod your CS, let your kids go to college in CA (isn't the first two years free?), and visit Yosemite, Glacier Point is my favorite place on earth.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Actually I see no reason not to keep your currrent car if you really like it. I assumed you were joking about the move, as I've noticed a lot of levity and fun in many of your posts. I took over 15 years to get 3 of mine through college and even in Canada it's fairly expensive. The payoff is that all are now doing well and all are very happy for me and my new Cayman S. So get those kids educated!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
:hilarious::hilarious:
The option to buy my 2008 CS comes up in September of 2012. Our kids will be 14, 12, 10, and 5 at the time.

It is likely that the family truckster will be a 2011 Honda Odyssey, and I have an SUV I intend to be buried in.

I have done the math, and I know that my taxes will be going up by more than the monthly payment on a new Porsche x 3. My kids will be within a car loan's period of educational expenses.

Dave,
I voted for number 1. This boy was born on the East coast and came to California in 1964. Move to away in 1992 and moved back 7 years later and have no plans of ever leaving again. With all of its well documented problems, California is still one of the best places in the world to live.

Looking at both sides of this question, if you do decide to leave CA. there will be less traffic on some of our "Sports Car Roads".

·
Registered
549 Posts
Voted for number one. Not a fan of PDK for a long-term sports car, so that leaves the GT3 and your current ride. The Gen 1 that you have is a very, very cool lookin' car, and for what you'd spend on the Gen 2 or the GT3, it could be modified in performance and looks (the techart kit for Gen 1 still makes me drool) to give you a ride that any man would envy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I sure hope this was a joke.
Not a joke. I didn't remember the details but a quick google search shows there are other "fees" that make it not exactly free. Still cheaper than most.

In Some States, Free Tuition Is Already Here
In many states non-need-based scholarships are available, as legislators have woken up to the fact that rising tuition costs are putting college educations out of reach for some students, or at the very least are requiring them to take on loans that –– according to the Higher Education Project of State Public Interest Research Groups –– leave 39 percent of graduates with "unmanageable levels of debt."

The obvious example is California, which provides free tuition for state residents at California State University and University of California campuses. But UC students pay fees ranging from $3,579 to $4,594, and Cal State students are charged a State University Fee of $1,428 plus various campus fees. When the $6,800 average for room and board is factored in, public university students face an annual bill of over $8,000.

Free Higher Education

Wiki covers the first two years (Community College):

California residents do not pay tuition for community colleges. Rather, they pay an enrollment fee. Non-resident and international students, however, pay tuition, usually an additional $100 per unit (or credit).

In the past decade, tuition and fees have fluctuated with the state's budget. For much of the 1990s and early 2000s, enrollment fees ranged between $11 and $13 per credit. However, with the state's budget deficits in the early-to-mid 2000s, fees rose to $18 per unit in 2003, and, by 2004, reached $26 per unit, the highest level in the state's history. Since then, fees have dropped. The current enrollment fee is $20 per unit, down $6 since January 2007. It is the lowest enrollment fee of any college or university in the United States. On July 28, 2009, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed AB2X (the education trailer bill to the 2009-10 state budget), setting the community college enrollment fee back at $26 per unit, effective for the Fall 2009 term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Community_Colleges_System

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have lived in Texas (Houston and San Antonio), Louisiana (New Orleans), Colorado (Denver) and California (OC). California is BY FAR my favorite place. Yes it is more expensive (mostly the housing) but worth it. Of course I may be biased as I lived in south OC right by the beach. Perfect weather, the ocean, mountains, vegas, and the best of everything. I don't know if there is another place like it in the world. You could move to save a few bucks but to me it's worth every dime.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts

Dave:

California is a nice place to visit and email to. Find someplace else to live.

Why doesn't Porsche make a GT3 Cayman?

I would not keep the car and mod it. I've spent way too much on mine and still don't trust it for track use.

Move to another state, then get a Gen II. Then mod it when you've recovered from the moving expenses.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Get out of Commiefornia. You'll likely have a lower cost of living and your money will go further.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.