Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it's about that time that many Cayenne air suspension owners are going to be having issues with their air suspension. Not $2 because he lives in the desert, but the rest of use will be seeing this issue rear its ugly head in the coming future if it's not already.

I think a central thread for all the information everyone has gathered will benefit the community. I'll be putting my stuff in this thread soon, but have a member or two, on another unnamed forum, that has requested help and I've directed them over here.

So without polluting this thread with non-relavent information, you are invited to participate with clear concise information to help your fellow member out. If you are in need of help with your air suspension please post up here. I'm super busy but will make a concerted effort to help anywhere I can. I don't know everything about the system but I have changed all four of my air shocks with success.

Happy New Year Planet 9 Members. 🎉

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Good idea. I dread the morning I see a corner of the cayenne sagging.

· Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Raudi, Tim here. After a long time posting on the other forum I finally got some time to carry out repairs with the tools and spare parts I had gathered over the past couple of months. I have replaced one failed air strut (Front RHS) and awaiting a new compressor from Miessler. I am confident I will be back up and running in the next fortnight and now have the tools and knowledge to tackle most issues with the system thanks to knowledge you shared, research and most importantly hands on experience with the system.

2013 Cayenne diesel
103 Posts
Towing question with air suspension - leveling hitch or not? Trailer wet probably 3k pounds.
Maybe we are just lucky - just hoping when it does run out we are not out in the outback!
We have 122,000 miles (principally off-road) on our 958 diesel with air suspension. We have two winter trips north of the Arctic Circle (-40F) and many down to the hot Chihuahuan desert. So far have not had any air suspension issues - and we use it a lot.
Have been ground tenting for over 30 years - just ordered an off-road capable trailer. Took a rental unit off-road to Moab recently w/o issues. Did fine even on the Shafer Switchbacks 19% grade and hair-pin turns.
What are the benefits / downside to towing with / without a leveling hitch?
Hope to see y'all over in the Cayenne Offroad sub forum
Thanks,

2013 Cayenne diesel
103 Posts
To clarify my above post,
Agree a leveling hitch is useful on paved surfaces. Where we go off-road we need a lot of articulation. Our fear of a leveling hitch is that it would be fighting the situation too much creating additional issues. As a 'ball' hitch will not work for us, we have a Lock-N-Roll hitch. These have freedom of motion 360° Photo for an example of what these are designed to do:
Tire Cloud Plant Sky Wheel

· Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I’ve got a 2011 Cayenne Turbo with air suspension issues. The cold temperatures in the NE have triggered the Chassis Failure warning. The driver front and driver rear sags overnight. Driving the car and letting the compressor run usually clears the dash warning issue but it consistently sags on the driver side overnight.

I recently purchased a Foxwell NT530 to help troubleshoot. I’m still navigating through all the menus but can share the following:

000284 control position not adjustable, vehicle too high or too low
000312 battery positive voltage, below limit value
000257 pressure sensor, signal line short circuit to B+
000201 compressor relay, on time exceeded
000220 vent solenoid valve, on time exceeded

System pressure 2.8
System air quality 68
Front left spring strut pressure 12.50
Front right 2.91
Rear left 2.64
Rear right 2.91

Heights deviation from required level
Front left -39mm
Front right -33
Rear left -32
Rear right -27

It’s nearing 200k miles and I’m open to replacing the struts/bags, valve block, compressor and relay all at once but prefer to truly isolate the issue first.

Its supposed to be warm this weekend so I plan to spray soapy water around the components to check for leaks.

Based on the trouble codes, any pointers on what may be happening?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your bags are leaking. Start with new shocks first.

As far as your Foxwell, I'd first make sure your battery is plugged on to a charger before reading any codes. Your compressor and valve have exceeded time because they constantly have to fill up the leaky shocks.

Change shocks first. Always change in pairs and if you can afford it, just get 4 new shocks. ATE or Bilstein. Don't mess with Arnotts or any other air shock.

If your'e installing yourself, do one shock at a time, push the air back into the system, then install shock and release the air back in to the shock. do that three more times.

Once that's done, you can purge the system of all non pure air and fill with nitrogen.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Good advice Ed. I never thought about doing one shock at a time.

· Registered
19 Posts
If your'e installing yourself, do one shock at a time, push the air back into the system, then install shock and release the air back in to the shock. do that three more times.

Once that's done, you can purge the system of all non pure air and fill with nitrogen.
How does one push air back into the system? I do plan to replace all 4 at the same time. So far, the best pricing I've found for the Bilsteins is from NewParts.com. The set lists for $3808, free shipping.

Is there a market for selling the OEM units as cores to recoup some costs?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a scam website. Kiss your cash goodbye if you order from them.

Just look at the tell tale signs.

1. you can't contact them via a phone call
2. They don't list where they are located.
3. Yelp and any other review site is not favoring them in a good light

Buy from a reputable vendor that you can contact via a phone call and if possible a brick and mortar establishment. Trust me on this. You're going to run into receiving the old style air shock and will need to return it. I use my local auto parts store so I can just walk it back in .

· Premium Member
130 Posts
What about dampening and rebound characteristics? Can you tell a difference between the stock ATEs and the bilstiens?

· Premium Member
130 Posts
That's pretty cool, now you need a picture at the equator.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts