Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

481 - 500 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
The camera makes that look completely black - I would have said "nice black car" had you not said above it was NBM.
Get very acquainted with a microfiber and polish ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Friend of mine has a Panny in that color. It’s beautiful, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Yes, my last 3 Caymans have been Black, Mahogany Metallic, and now Night Blue Metallic......wash and detail weekly. Get many compliments on all of them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, my last 3 Caymans have been Black, Mahogany Metallic, and now Night Blue Metallic......wash and detail weekly. Get many compliments on all of them.
You're either a sucker for self-induced punishment, or you like dark colors. :)
Either way, cool car. About the same minimal options as I have

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Today, I washe the entire car, clay bar'd from the front door hinge line back and applied Chemical Guys Top Coat (Opti). The 'front clip' was only washed as it gets clear vinyl applied Monday. Boy, that Night Blue Metallic literally dazzles in sun.......really heavy metallic.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Well, call me quazy. I traded my '06 Cayman S in on a brand new '19 Carrera T. This has to be the best street 911 ever. Power is just right at 370 HP with lower gearing and the lowest weight (by a few pounds) in the 911 family. Has just the right low-end torque, the upper revs can scare you like any good 911 should. It gets about 27 mpg on the highway. The Carrera T interior with silver belts, silver cloth door pulls, and silver pinstripes in the SporTex seat cushions is just gorgeous. I got white gages, like my '06 CS, rear wheel steering, which I really like a lot, and Carrera Sport wheels, 7-speed manual sport shifter that locks out 7th if you don't shift out of 5th or 6th...very well thought out. It has...a SUN ROOF....Nice!

What's not to like?

Well...it's kinda big. It's a little less than exciting to drive unless you're scaring yourself with jail-time speeds.

That rear weight bias thing is still there if you get near the limit. I had an '83 911SC that came around on me at a track day once. It was the most helpless feeling. This car is FAR more stable than that, but get near the limit and I'm reminded of that old beast....and not in a good way.

The 315 rear tires make it near impossible to fit into my good car wash. I think the track is narrower in front than in the rear and it wants to crab between the rails...If you get it right, it works and I haven't scratched any rims. I'm blessed with a good soft-cloth that doesn't scratch only 2 miles from my house. I can ride through for 9 bucks, drive it home and do a little detailing. Looks new again. Then store in climate-controlled garage. I drove my '06 CS for 10 year winter and summer, no rust or problems ever with the weather. Winter tires, of course.

So...Talked to the dealer and tested a 718 GTS, then an S with the performance options on it. Ended up getting an '18 718 GTS with manual shipped in from another dealer, They're loud. They're rude. I love em. Everything I was missing driving my '06 Cayman without the rattles and foibles. Plus, it's really fast. I get it on Thursday along with a nice check from the dealer.

Some questions....

718 has black wheels. I told them I wouldn't accept black wheels. They agreed to swap.

I'm thinking of Carrera Sports because they look great on the car. (They'll want me to pay a little more, but I'm willing. I just don't know how much they weigh. They look a little heavier than the Carrera S wheels. Anyone know? Anyone know why Porsche is putting black wheels on everything? What is the attraction? I think they're just plain ugly although I do like some of them with a polished rim around the outside....kinda Fuchs looking and cool.

Anyone know where I can find the weights if the various Tequipment wheels on offer? I'd get these Carrera Sports, but not if they weigh an extra 5 lbs per corner.

Anyone know how to get the intake noise to be a bit LESS inside the car? I think they over-did it. The '19 718 I drove, was loud with PSE turned on or off. It seemed to make more difference if the car was in Sport mode than if the exhaust was wicked up.

Is there some sort of artificial noisemaker scheme going on here that could be plugged/isolated/turned off? I can't imagine it matters a wit to performance or economy. When it's in Sport+ it's just obnoxious. I don't think it's necessary or desirable to have so much noise inside the car.

By comparison, my Carrera T with Sport Exhaust is very quiet inside the car, but the pipes blat pretty nicely. Open the windows or sunroof and you can have your fix.

There aren't many new 718's around with stick. I really looked. The one I found has some dumb appearance options that I would never have paid for and doesn't have dark or CF triim inside, which I would have paid for. Also would have paid for white stitching on the leather. Bumperplugs says they can do CF on my interior bits if I remove all the pieces and send to them. I hate the idea of tearing into my brand new car, but I think I'm going to want something nice in the way of trim after being spoiled by the Carrera T.

I just noticed last night that the build on this 718 does not have the lowered sport suspension....just normal PASM. Every 718 I tried had the lowered version. Anyone know if this makes much difference. I'm definitely going to track this car, I don't want to have to invest in an aftermarket suspension. Been there. Done that. The Sport PASM setup feels very similar to the '06's Damptronics with the DSP PASM brain-box added. Very good.

I still have time to change my mind...but it will cost me if I do. I took a long drive in the T on Thursday. It's a great car. It just doesn't feel like MY great car.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Well, call me quazy. I traded my '06 Cayman S in on a brand new '19 Carrera T. This has to be the best street 911 ever. Power is just right at 370 HP with lower gearing and the lowest weight (by a few pounds) in the 911 family. Has just the right low-end torque, the upper revs can scare you like any good 911 should. It gets about 27 mpg on the highway. The Carrera T interior with silver belts, silver cloth door pulls, and silver pinstripes in the SporTex seat cushions is just gorgeous. I got white gages, like my '06 CS, rear wheel steering, which I really like a lot, and Carrera Sport wheels, 7-speed manual sport shifter that locks out 7th if you don't shift out of 5th or 6th...very well thought out. It has...a SUN ROOF....Nice!

What's not to like?

Well...it's kinda big. It's a little less than exciting to drive unless you're scaring yourself with jail-time speeds.

That rear weight bias thing is still there if you get near the limit. I had an '83 911SC that came around on me at a track day once. It was the most helpless feeling. This car is FAR more stable than that, but get near the limit and I'm reminded of that old beast....and not in a good way.

The 315 rear tires make it near impossible to fit into my good car wash. I think the track is narrower in front than in the rear and it wants to crab between the rails...If you get it right, it works and I haven't scratched any rims. I'm blessed with a good soft-cloth that doesn't scratch only 2 miles from my house. I can ride through for 9 bucks, drive it home and do a little detailing. Looks new again. Then store in climate-controlled garage. I drove my '06 CS for 10 year winter and summer, no rust or problems ever with the weather. Winter tires, of course.

So...Talked to the dealer and tested a 718 GTS, then an S with the performance options on it. Ended up getting an '18 718 GTS with manual shipped in from another dealer, They're loud. They're rude. I love em. Everything I was missing driving my '06 Cayman without the rattles and foibles. Plus, it's really fast. I get it on Thursday along with a nice check from the dealer.

Some questions....

718 has black wheels. I told them I wouldn't accept black wheels. They agreed to swap.

I'm thinking of Carrera Sports because they look great on the car. (They'll want me to pay a little more, but I'm willing. I just don't know how much they weigh. They look a little heavier than the Carrera S wheels. Anyone know? Anyone know why Porsche is putting black wheels on everything? What is the attraction? I think they're just plain ugly although I do like some of them with a polished rim around the outside....kinda Fuchs looking and cool.

Anyone know where I can find the weights if the various Tequipment wheels on offer? I'd get these Carrera Sports, but not if they weigh an extra 5 lbs per corner.

Anyone know how to get the intake noise to be a bit LESS inside the car? I think they over-did it. The '19 718 I drove, was loud with PSE turned on or off. It seemed to make more difference if the car was in Sport mode than if the exhaust was wicked up.

Is there some sort of artificial noisemaker scheme going on here that could be plugged/isolated/turned off? I can't imagine it matters a wit to performance or economy. When it's in Sport+ it's just obnoxious. I don't think it's necessary or desirable to have so much noise inside the car.

By comparison, my Carrera T with Sport Exhaust is very quiet inside the car, but the pipes blat pretty nicely. Open the windows or sunroof and you can have your fix.

There aren't many new 718's around with stick. I really looked. The one I found has some dumb appearance options that I would never have paid for and doesn't have dark or CF triim inside, which I would have paid for. Also would have paid for white stitching on the leather. Bumperplugs says they can do CF on my interior bits if I remove all the pieces and send to them. I hate the idea of tearing into my brand new car, but I think I'm going to want something nice in the way of trim after being spoiled by the Carrera T.

I just noticed last night that the build on this 718 does not have the lowered sport suspension....just normal PASM. Every 718 I tried had the lowered version. Anyone know if this makes much difference. I'm definitely going to track this car, I don't want to have to invest in an aftermarket suspension. Been there. Done that. The Sport PASM setup feels very similar to the '06's Damptronics with the DSP PASM brain-box added. Very good.

I still have time to change my mind...but it will cost me if I do. I took a long drive in the T on Thursday. It's a great car. It just doesn't feel like MY great car.

Can’t help you with answers, but had to compliment you on the balance in the post. Can’t wait to get your thoughts after you’ve had the 718.

Reactions: FlatLander

·
Registered
53 Posts

What's not to like?

Some questions....

Congrats on your new purchase.

Nice review, you're the second person in the last week I've heard change from a Carrera T to a 718 GTS. I think in reality you're either a 911 person or a 718 person or both. They are all great cars. Did you have RAS in the Carrera T? I have a feeling that would help quite a bit with the rear weight bias and I believe is standard on all 911 GT cars these days.

I think with the 911 you always feel the rear weight bias but I guess that is part of the fun and part of the pedigree. Whereas the 718 weight bias is perfect and so easy to drive, even at the limit. It never feels like it is going to let loose. If anything I find it understeers a little on downhill very tight corners coming in a little too hot, but flat and uphill is perfect. Maybe tires all round could be a little bigger, maybe GT4 spec. I think the 911 can require more care and skill.

I think the front width of the 718 is a very similar width to the 991.2 but the rear is definitely a little narrower.

With the noise inside the car; you can disconnect the soundactor for a slightly quieter cruising speed and more natural sound on throttle. It is the only 7.5A fuse at the end of row 1 in the fuse box behind the passenger seat in the trunk. There are some instructions for access if you need them. I think you will find for cruising in normal mode on good roads the interior noise is comfortable.

I know one owner who installed Dynamat on all interior panels which I believe reduced cabin noise a little, although he did this as an audio upgrade. There is another person at the moment over at 718forum using soundskins with some great illustrations if you want to do it, although he said the Dynamat will work better for sound insulation. Again he is doing it as part of an Audio upgrade.

Black Wheels: I think it is a growing trend here to stay and doesn't show the dirt as much. I actually like them. :)

Wheel Weights: I don't have wheel weights but the Carrera Sport are a 1/2" wider so may be a little heavier than the S but then you have the advantage of being able to install slightly wider tires.

PASM-sport lowers the car by another 10 mm so slightly shorter springs and thicker anti-roll bars. IMO definitely worth it for the small additional cost and still drives very comfortably in normal mode and not really any clearance issues for normal driving and roads. I think normal mode is also a little more stable. PASM set to sport mode is near perfect, maybe a little bouncy on rough roads.

I assume you can always swap out the springs for Techart, OEM-sport, or H&R later and do the bars. So I think no major or make them order in the "sport" option and get them to install before delivery.

"They're loud. They're rude. I love em." Nicely put! :)

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Hello again! Took delivery of a 718 GTS last night after a 6 month honeymoon with a 911 Carrera T. I loved that T, but it's a little big and it is a little too GT. Dealer was great. All the sales guys drive Caymans or Boxsters. I got a check back and got to put about 7500 miles on the T. Yes, it cost me, but it was a great experience.

How do I explain that I loved so many things about that CT but still felt disillusioned by the driving of it? It was very quick and can do things many cars can't, but that mid-engine magic is gone. I got spoiled by the '06 CS I owned before, I guess. I never even considered a 718 because of the 4-cylinder engine, but it's great. There is a fuse you can remove to reduce the sound in the passenger's compartment. I drove it home with it in and went for an excursion, then, last thing before buttoning it up for the night, I removed the fuse. Today will be the test. I don't mind a sporty exhaust, but I want the sound outside, not inside. If I want to hear it, I'll open a window. The chassis is insanely good on this car. I took it on some favorite roads and just loved it.

This car was one of the few new ones around with a stick that's not black, red or yellow. I was not able to be too choosey about my options. I got black full leather, heated and cooled seats, white gages (yes!), some stupid gloss black trim on the outside that cost a lot. And the Sport appearance package or some such. Like you need a Cayman to look more sporty? Oh and painted side inlets...but they're painted gloss black (instead of standard matte black) for an extra $600+. What it didn't come with was Sport PASM. My car is 1/2" taller than I'd like.

PASM has sure come a long way since 2006! In spite of it being the non-lowered version, it corners flat. Very nice compliance in Normal mode and the Sport mode is very agreeable for most roads.

Sport exhaust is LOUD on these things, in either mode, but it gets even louder if you put the PASM wheel in Sport or Sport+. Even with the exhaust in Normal, those modes are really loud inside the car. I looked on a 718 site and found there is something called a "Soundaktor" on the car. I think it's a intake sound microphone that plays in the rear speakers or something. Anyway, it's easily disabled. I did it in 4 minutes. Took longer to read about it. Spousal acceptance will be better. I'm philosophically against artificial noise-making on cars in general. This one isn't obnoxiously loud, but it's needlessly loud. Might be good for a track day where you're using your ears to shift? With rev-matching, that seems needless.

Oh, the chassis! I am smitten with this car.

Reactions: donR and masti99

·
Registered
162 Posts
Really dig the color. Excellent choice!

481 - 500 of 536 Posts