Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

501 - 520 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
First post -
I'm happy to be part of the P9 forum.
I took delivery of a car last week. I guess P9 won't allow me to post pics with my first post.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Hey, Tyler, always fun for us to hear about a new-to-the-car's impressions as you get to know it. Keep in touch! Happy motoring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been interested in the 718 off and on now for about a year. Living in rural Montana without a Dealer and my nearest Dealer 350 miles away, not exactly an easy shopping experience. But decided to take the leap a few months back and started searching.

Ended up with a 2018 base car, manual trans, BOSE, Sport seats with heat and cool, black and chalk leather interior, NAV, 19" boxster S wheels, LCA, larger fuel tank, heated multifunction steering wheel and a few other minor items. This was a CPO car with 2990 miles on it when I test drove it.

Bought the car in Northern Cali and did the pickup in Reno to avoid the CA sales tax. Drove it the 990 miles home the next two days. Got home 36 hrs before a fairly major snowstorm. Really enjoyed the ride home. It's simply a brilliant car. SO looking forward to Spring and being able to drive it again.

A front end wrap is planned as soon as I get some decent roads to get it to the shop. The DOT here uses GRAVEL instead of salt or sand in the winter. So our cars get beaten to death by other cars tossing up those stones. Windshields seldom last a year. So a wrap is a must have option.

I previously owned a 928S, a trio of old BMW 2002 sedans, several Corvettes and a varied array of 1960's muscle cars. As well as a dozen or so motorcycles from off road to HD's to a few BMW GS's.

Closing in on 70 now, so I grew up in the muscle car era. Never would have thought back in the 80's , that we would EVER have real performance cars again. We are living in some remarkable times for sure.

I have an allocation for a new C8 Corvette. The Cayman was supposed to be an interim toy until the C8 arrives next Summer. Even with limited time behind the wheel, I don't know now. I may pass for 2020 and ask for an early 2021 delivery.

IF the 718 is good to me; reliable, few maintenance issues....I may postpone even longer or try a 911. I've driven probably a dozen different 911's from the 70's to the last generation. But have never bought one. Wouldn't mind at least ONE 911 in my life. Then again that Dealer thing is a real concern.

Hopefully few trips to a Dealer required as my nearest is in Calgary, Alberta, the next cloosest is west of me in Spokane, Washington!

DSC_0756.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks gorgeous in the snow! Really sets the silver off nicely.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Picked up my new 2019 Boxster GTS a few weeks ago. It was an executive demo with 4,558 miles on the odometer in excellent condition. It had never been titled so I it was sold to me as a new car with a full warranty. The MSRP was $103,170 and I was able to get it for $74,170. I could not be happier with the car or the deal.

6A2CE6DC-A93E-43AC-8172-0083E34EECFA_1_201_a.jpeg
C70A12F6-6D66-4AB0-89EF-68E5A8C45A6D_1_201_a.jpeg
8B066C40-64CF-4590-96A1-1F702AE1408A_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: Proj_356_B

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Excellent deal! I think the 4 cylinder cars are a harder sell since the 4.0 GTS introduction.

I'm very happy with my Cayman GTS 2.5L....with Softronic flash. 435 hp (...or so) with no side effects. It sounds a little bit meaner too. 15K on it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Excellent deal! I think the 4 cylinder cars are a harder sell since the 4.0 GTS introduction.

I'm very happy with my Cayman GTS 2.5L....with Softronic flash. 435 hp (...or so) with no side effects. It sounds a little bit meaner too. 15K on it.
Does the Softronic flash effect your Porsche warranty and what about your gas milage?

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Cremaley:

If I drive like a normal person, mileage is the same....which never was that great....27mpg? If I push, well...there's more to push with, so the drop in economy is greater.

Most of my pushing is 20 or 30 second blasts anyway. Not much opportunity for more around here. I'm not tracking cars so much and I don't really push for long stints, so not so concerned about warranty on this engine. It's pretty reliable....and I have the 3rd radiator on GTS, so overheating is less of a concern.

I'm changing oil at about double the recomendation. I get it done by a non-dealer once a year and then take it in for the required service the other time.

I think this warranty worry thing is over-done, frankly. Unless it's an engine or drive-line problem, software won't make a difference in coverage.

Rear tire life may be negatively effected, however :devilish: . Aside from that, it really still is the same smooth little sports car.

I had it in for a passenger side window track misalignment. I think it was an assembly problem...maybe a bolt didn't get torqued down all the way? Window OK unless you rolled it down with door closed and back up...then you had to punch your way out of the door because the window edge was on the inside of the door seal. We noticed it on a PCA tour to Pittsburgh GP. Dealer cheerfully repaired it. No charge.

I drove a used '06 for about 100K miles without issues...did tons of mods on it. Ounce of prevention works wonders.

:alien:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cremaley:

If I drive like a normal person, mileage is the same....which never was that great....27mpg? If I push, well...there's more to push with, so the drop in economy is greater.

Most of my pushing is 20 or 30 second blasts anyway. Not much opportunity for more around here. I'm not tracking cars so much and I don't really push for long stints, so not so concerned about warranty on this engine. It's pretty reliable....and I have the 3rd radiator on GTS, so overheating is less of a concern.

I'm changing oil at about double the recomendation. I get it done by a non-dealer once a year and then take it in for the required service the other time.

I think this warranty worry thing is over-done, frankly. Unless it's an engine or drive-line problem, software won't make a difference in coverage.

Rear tire life may be negatively effected, however :devilish: . Aside from that, it really still is the same smooth little sports car.

I had it in for a passenger side window track misalignment. I think it was an assembly problem...maybe a bolt didn't get torqued down all the way? Window OK unless you rolled it down with door closed and back up...then you had to punch your way out of the door because the window edge was on the inside of the door seal. We noticed it on a PCA tour to Pittsburgh GP. Dealer cheerfully repaired it. No charge.

I drove a used '06 for about 100K miles without issues...did tons of mods on it. Ounce of prevention works wonders.

:alien:
Very nice. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Very nice Cayman GTS

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does the Softronic flash effect your Porsche warranty and what about your gas milage?
You may want to check with the PCNA before making decisions on how modifications may or may not effect the warranty. As someone who manufactures controls systems with embedded firmware, I can unequivocally state that if an end user chose to attempt to enhance the product performance utilizing their own or third party firmware, they would be completely on their own should any damage to the product or peripheral equipment occur.

·
Registered
2021 718 GTS Gentian Blue
116 Posts
Good to be back... and I'll be posting on here when I get my 2021 718 GTS

501 - 520 of 536 Posts