Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

521 - 536 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
On Saturday morning I flew down to Norwalk in Southern California to take delivery of a 2020 718 Spyder. It is white and unique in that it has no options. Most that I found available were loaded with expensive options of which I have no interest. After taking delivery of the Spyder drove it home to Folsom. Still learning the car and needing to frequently reference the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
71 Posts
On Saturday morning I flew down to Norwalk in Southern California to take delivery of a 2020 718 Spyder. It is white and unique in that it has no options. Most that I found available were loaded with expensive options of which I have no interest. After taking delivery of the Spyder drove it home to Folsom. Still learning the car and needing to frequently reference the owner's manual.
Congratulations! Sounds like a great drive!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
You know we want to hear what you had before, and what this feels like in comparison! Give us some vicarious thrills!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I traded in my 981 CS PDK for the GTS. Somewhat handicapped by break-in routine and driving a manual for the first time in 20 years, but the 4.0 is clearly more powerful. The steering is even more precise and the sound seems pretty good, even with the GPF’s. The newer tech, especially Carplay is quite welcome. I went for the Espresso/Cognac natural leather interior and it is a big upgrade over the standard in the 981.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Thanks! Sounds fantastic. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Just got one, it is hard to avoid trouble driving this thing. How do you guys manage?
It’s even hard to leave it when I return home. I’ll sit in it in the garage and spend a few extra minutes reading email. And I’ve had mine 7 years already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Took delivery on my new GT4 December 28th after a slight delay due to my having COVID. After a week I noticed an unusual engine noise ( like a noisy rocker) that was diagnosed as a problem with a belt tensioner. Also had a puddle of wiper fluid on the garage floor. I hope there are no further problems. My job now is to break it in properly before the first March DE at NJMP.
IMG_0395.jpg

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Got my Cayman GTS 4.0 in early December and put the winter wheel set on before delivery. After 1,000 km, here are my initial impressions:
  • Transmission - delightful; first 3 pedal in 20 years and I am very glad I ordered it. I have experienced none of the 1-2 grinding that some owners have reported. The long gearing is a non-issue for me - there is plenty of get up and go through the range.
  • Steering is similar to my 981. Precise with just the right amount of feedback.
  • Engine is a delight. Considerably more powerful than the 3.4 L, and I haven't gone all in. Power delivery is smooth and linear.
  • Sound. This car has PSE which my 981 didn't but also has gasoline particulate filters. The note, especially under lots of throttle and with the valves open, is somewhat deeper and louder than the 981. I haven't heard the joyful wail that started around 4,000 RPM in the 3.4 as yet, but I haven't gone above 5,000 RPM. Hopefully something close will emerge.
  • Suspension. I ordered the PASM (10 mm drop) as opposed to the Sport PASM (-20 mm) in deference to crappy roads. I find with the winter conditions that I am using the granny setting more often, as it smooths out the bumps somewhat.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So ... not a clear winner. I am going back and forth with this (getting a new GTS over my 981 CS) and I am way too much into the sound. Power is more than adequate even now. So, I guess, I will have to get a ride with someone in a 4.0 GTS to finally put the question to bed. Thanks for brief review.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sound is so subjective that it is hard to properly categorize it (unless it is really bad). The 4.0 sounds great, but the 3.4 and 2.7 are pretty high standards. will continue to hunt for the wail, but you really need to hear it for yourself

I was happy with the 981, but it was a PDK car and I really wanted another manual transmission before they went the route of 8-tracks and floppy disks.

·
Registered
2021 718 GTS Gentian Blue
116 Posts
I just picked up my order for my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 this past Friday (Jan 15th). After being without my ‘07 987.1 since 2013, I’m so happy to be back behind the wheel of such a beautiful machine!
The car is absolutely stunning to behold in Gentian Blue and even better to drive.

For those looking for a ride in a 4.0 to see if the exhaust and drive is better, I’d be happy to help out if you’re ever in the Rocky Mountain region.

Cheers!

Reactions: MLCayman and donR

·
Registered
34 Posts
Greetings from NYC area and as you can see I really like green.

I upgraded from a 987.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

521 - 536 of 536 Posts