Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
3281 - 3300 of 3325 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow DD’ing an m coupe for 15 year, I bow down to your enthusiasm, I have owned an e46 m3 for 4 years then followed with 2 years with f87 m2, both were my daily drives and track toys, I loved e46 but could never get the same level of connection with f87, m2 is very capable and might be the best modern m car, yet it lacks the soul of older m cars, your cayman is super clean and it’s a six speed which is such treat when you have years of dd’ing a manual m car, I have had an autosolutions ssk on my e46 and still wasn’t up to par with Porsche shifter, congratulations with your new car!
yes, the Cayman shifter is a nice upgrade. The M2C shifter wasn’t bad, but this is another level. MCoupe was awesome, but the AKG red bushings gave it, shall we say, a firm ride. PASM normal mode is like going Lexus in comparison. Cayman is similar to the MCoupe in HP and weight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
About a month ago, I picked up my first Porsche at Phillip's in Newport Beach and drove the car home to the south Bay Area. It's a 2016 Cayman S in Sapphire Blue Metallic with PDK, Sport Chrono, X73 Sport Suspension, Heated and Cooled Sport Seats Plus, Sport Design Steering Wheel, Carrera S Wheels, and the Infotainment Package. I plan on adding PSE at my next service in a few months. Lucky for me, I was able to track down the previous owner via a note left in the owner's manual, who was incredibly kind and provided me with all of the service records for the car, and found out that he sold the 981 after upgrading to a 718 GTS 4.0! So far, after 1k miles of driving, I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Tire Wheel Cloud Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 981 Boxster S
7 Posts
Two weeks ago I picked up a new-to-me 2016 Boxster S. ~46k mi, low $50k's. This is my first Porsche; PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport+, 20" Carrera S wheels, 14-way h/c seats. All maintenance records. Even the Original Porsche box w/ pen & window sticker.

So far I absolutely love it! Prior sports cars were Mustang GT and Focus RS, both manual. I went with PDK because I am now much older and left-knee issues. I have driven a 911 w/ PDK at a track pre-covid; it was absolutely brilliant, but not something I can afford at this time.

The only thing I wish this car had, which I tried to find on a car, was PASM. My wife's back is shot and anything which could make this ride smoother for her would be a plus. Instead, I'll find some 18" rims w/ lots of rubber on them to occasionally put on when she'll cruise/trip with me. Any recommendations towards this would be appreciated.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Two weeks ago I picked up a new-to-me 2016 Boxster S. ~46k mi, low $50k's. This is my first Porsche; PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport+, 20" Carrera S wheels, 14-way h/c seats. All maintenance records. Even the Original Porsche box w/ pen & window sticker.

So far I absolutely love it! Prior sports cars were Mustang GT and Focus RS, both manual. I went with PDK because I am now much older and left-knee issues. I have driven a 911 w/ PDK at a track pre-covid; it was absolutely brilliant, but not something I can afford at this time.

The only thing I wish this car had, which I tried to find on a car, was PASM. My wife's back is shot and anything which could make this ride smoother for her would be a plus. Instead, I'll find some 18" rims w/ lots of rubber on them to occasionally put on when she'll cruise/trip with me. Any recommendations towards this would be appreciated.

View attachment 280846
Does your car have X73? Lots of people have opted for it over PASM, but I don’t know of anyone who has gone the other way. Seems like it should be possible but there could be significant wiring changes and coding needed.

18s are a very good place to start.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride! (y)

I found that when I did the seasonal changeover to a 18" set of tires and wheels (albeit snow tires) the ride became much more compliant and quiet, well worth the effort IMHO.

Reactions: lottadot

·
Registered
2016 981 Boxster S
7 Posts
Does your car have X73? Lots of people have opted for it over PASM

18s are a very good place to start.
No, it does not have the X73. The X73 is the "Sports Suspension" which lowers it a bit, right? Doesn't it stiffen the ride a bit more too? I'd probably like it, but I would not expect that to help anyone with back problems.

·
Registered
2016 981 Boxster S
7 Posts
What inflation pressures are you running? Makes a big difference in ride quality. I'd aim for something around 30-32 in your case.
The tires were at 35 when cold (60's F in my garage attached to our house)! I took a drive w/ them when it was near 90 and the max pressure I noted was 41. I'm going to lower them to 30 cold and see if that makes a difference. I'm 99% the car's set to 'comfort' mode but will double-check.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The tires were at 35 when cold (60's F in my garage attached to our house)! I took a drive w/ them when it was near 90 and the max pressure I noted was 41. I'm going to lower them to 30 cold and see if that makes a difference. I'm 99% the car's set to 'comfort' mode but will double-check.
The 20 inch wheels are going to be a lot stiffer than 19s or 18s. I'd suggest looking for a set of used 18" wheels from a Boxster base (they'll fit your S) and wrap them in a set of (235/265)/45/18 Michelin PS4s set to 29 PSI. The ride will be much more comfortable for your wife with that setup, and the difference in handling will be negligible. There are wheels on offer in the classifieds here (or at rennlist) fairly regularly.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Comfort setting for 20 inch wheels is around 32 psi. They will heat up to around 35, 36 once fully up to temp while being driven in the cooler months, but will go up into the low 40s in summer if starting at 35

I keep mine set to the comfort values during the summer when the heat tends to cause them to increase pressure more when hot

Then I set it back to normal for the winter time when they tend to run lower pressures naturally

·
Registered
2016 981 Boxster S
7 Posts
Comfort setting for 20 inch wheels is around 32 psi. [...]
I keep mine set to the comfort values during the summer [...]
back to normal for the winter time when they tend to run lower pressures naturally
You may be onto something here. The fellow I bought it from daily'd it. He might have had it at 35 for the colder months. When I read the manual & it mentioned the comfort values I had just assumed he had it at 32.

I'm going to drop the PSI to 32 this weekend & try it. I still believe I will end up buying a set of 18's like people above have recommended. Until then, experimenting with the existing 20's will suffice.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone. I picked up couple weeks a new to me 2014 Cayman. It's been a long in the making process, once me and my wife decided that we had the financial stability to get one, we started on our quest. Months of research and waiting and we finaly found this beauty. Seems like the previous owners took good care of her. Literally brand new inside. With 0 scratches, not a single piece of the interior is showing any wear. We are extremely happy. There are some issues to address, but very happy in general from the purchase.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
8 Posts
At age 55, it was finally time to get my first Porsche, and one I've built 1,000 times in my head over the years. I found a 2015 Boxster S online at Carmax that was built just the way I wanted. It was the color and options I would have ordered if I bought new... Only 16,800 miles and nary a scratch or scuff on her. I paid $300 to have CarMax transfer it from CA to Boise Idaho and then did an hour long solo test drive. The car was immaculate and basically looked new. I picked it up last Friday and did a glorious fall weather 100 mile mountain road break-in this weekend along the scenic Payette River byway here near Boise. Top down with the PSE is something I'll never tire of!

Font Number Circle

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

·
Registered
2014 Boxster Saphire Blue Metallic, Lots of Custom Engine, Body and Interior Work *Never Done*
43 Posts
I took delivery of my 981 in Sapphire blue with some options that i wanted. I really wanted a GTS but i didn't want to be in the 1k+ car payment club. These two photos are from the following day after i got the car. I had the clear corners on the car no more than Ten Minutes after i got home with it. Since these photos I have extensively modified the body, Engine and interior now if i could just find a set of GTS taillights than i would be basically finished with the car.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Blue

3281 - 3300 of 3325 Posts