Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started "Nube; is it worth it" tread. Well it was and I missed it.
After driving it on Saturday, I emailed Monday saying, "Let's do the sale." We're negotiating about 11:00a, within $500 of what I want and $1,000 from his last offer, and I get the "I'll take this to my manager and call you right back." Radio silence till abt 2:30 I get a v-mail saying the car is no longer available, its sold to another dealer.
I was a good deal; one of you so-and-so's got it. Their online was $53,000 we were at abt $51,000. I get it, it's a dealership, genetically engineered to make that last $. Not claiming victimhood, a few things I would do different in hind sight. I just thought it was a bit rude to not give me a best-and-final shot at it.
It was great looking; 15,500 miles, S w PDK, options I wanted, build price was $78,000+, CPO till Feb, 2022.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I learned the same lesson when I was looking for a CGTS - al most the scenario as yours. Found the car I wanted at 11 AM, test drove it, told the dealer I was going to have lunch and make a decision - called him back at 2 PM and the car was sold.

Luckily he got a better spec car in the next week and I instantly pulled the trigger.

Lesson - when you find a “ good car “ don’t leave until the deal is done.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It is what it is. Ultimately, you curtailed yourself for weeks if not months from an unbelievable experience for $500. That's how much it would cost you to drive 10 laps in Vegas with whatever Cayman they have available.

I drove my first Cayman in 2012. It took me 4 years to decide to get one. 4 years without it that I will never get back. Should have listened to the owner of that Cayman who told me "Stop thinking about it and buy one."

Good luck!

·
Registered
468 Posts
More proof that when you have made up your mind as to what you want....do not hesitate in the slightest to pull the trigger when you find a good example.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another one will pop up, but yeah, if you find one at a price you can live with don't let $500 difference kill the deal..... I looked for months for a white on black 981S with x73, SC, sport design steering wheel, Bose and 20" Carerra S wheels, when one finally popped up I called the dealer and got them down to $45.5k from $47.9k ...tried to get them down to $45k but they said $45.5k was the lowest they were going....told them ok deal. Flew up the next day and drove home my unicorn. Glad I did cuz I still look all the time for a spec like mine and they just don't show up. Expand your search radius and be prepared to travel and you'll find one sooner or later.

Loving mine!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
On the other side of this story, I almost made a huge mistake (which I then turned into a slightly less huge mistake).

Since I have a kid on the way, I thought it would be best if I traded my car for something more practical. After nearly a year of researching and reading forums, I decided on a Civic Type R and quickly pulled the trigger once I found a decent price on one. However, after about a day, I began to have massive regrets over selling the Cayman. It has a lot of sentimental value, custom ordered it, arrived on my birthday, road trips with my wife, the custom stereo I installed, and it just feels good to drive. My wife actually admitted she missed my car too, and I decided to call the dealership and see if I could trade back. Long story short, they kicked my *** on the trade back, putting me doubly in the hole. Luckily my wife was fully supportive, saying that she didn't care about the cost. Probably the stupidest financial decision I've made in my life, but hey at least I have my car back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2016 BGTS, 6 speed, X73 showed up at my dealer in the summer of 2017 as a one year old used car with less than 100 miles on it. I am sure it will surprise no one that I did not get the price I wanted.
I DID however, get the CAR I wanted.
Sometimes it's like that.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,762 Posts
On the other side of this story, I almost made a huge mistake (which I then turned into a slightly less huge mistake).

Since I have a kid on the way, I thought it would be best if I traded my car for something more practical. After nearly a year of researching and reading forums, I decided on a Civic Type R and quickly pulled the trigger once I found a decent price on one. However, after about a day, I began to have massive regrets over selling the Cayman. It has a lot of sentimental value, custom ordered it, arrived on my birthday, road trips with my wife, the custom stereo I installed, and it just feels good to drive. My wife actually admitted she missed my car too, and I decided to call the dealership and see if I could trade back. Long story short, they kicked my *** on the trade back, putting me doubly in the hole. Luckily my wife was fully supportive, saying that she didn't care about the cost. Probably the stupidest financial decision I've made in my life, but hey at least I have my car back.
Buyer's remorse, followed by seller's remorse. Ouch! But, at least you got your baby back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Buyer's remorse, followed by seller's remorse. Ouch! But, at least you got your baby back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I don't have any remorse over getting the car back, but it did sting a bit to pay that extra money.

On the bright side, I found out that the dealership overpaid the payoff quote for the Civic by about $2000, which I'm getting back from the bank in the form of a check. :unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar Story. After driving a 2015 Boxster with all the bells and whistles at a Porsche Dealer I didn't go with it because of the blind spot created by having the top up. I wanted a Cayman S with PDK. Long story short, the next week a Cayman S in Guards Red shows up at a local Dodge Dealer. I was out of town, but wife tested it, got a quick thumbs up from Porsche dealer on the car and we pulled the trigger that day. I have been driving it HPDE (sadly not daily because it is in different state) and loving it. Kind of like meeting a lady. If the spark is there, pull the trigger, don't wait

·
Registered
45 Posts
Similar Story. After driving a 2015 Boxster with all the bells and whistles at a Porsche Dealer I didn't go with it because of the blind spot created by having the top up. I wanted a Cayman S with PDK. Long story short, the next week a Cayman S in Guards Red shows up at a local Dodge Dealer. I was out of town, but wife tested it, got a quick thumbs up from Porsche dealer on the car and we pulled the trigger that day. I have been driving it HPDE (sadly not daily because it is in different state) and loving it. Kind of like meeting a lady. If the spark is there, pull the trigger, don't wait
I bought a 2015 Cayman and no matter how I set the mirrors it had a blind spot. One fix was to drive so fast no car would pass me but cost for speeding tickets made that choice unfeasible. Decided to get a wife-angle left mirror for it instead. Dealer wanted a fortune for one. Found one online for under $100. Now blind spot is gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started "Nube; is it worth it" tread. Well it was and I missed it.
You will find another one, as others have said, just be patient. It took me over a year to find the car that was "it" - and at the end, it was a totally different direction than I expected to go as well and I absolutely love it (2005 mint and perfectly maintained guards red Boxter S with chrono, excellent PPI, etc).

The deal was with an individual and it also came down to $500 - at the end, it was my WIFE that said, "what are you doing?!?! It's exactly what you want and at the end of the day it's a couple of nice dinners out difference!" Didn't hurt that she loved the car as well.

Just be ready to jump next time.

Can't leave the thread without commenting on your user-name: huge John Reis and Rick Froberg fan!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't leave the thread without commenting on your user-name: huge John Reis and Rick Froberg fan!
I haven't heard of those guys but will check them out now. I got it from the Old Testament; 2 Kings 9:20 "the driving is like that of Jehu... for he drives like a madman."

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't heard of those guys but will check them out now. I got it from the Old Testament; 2 Kings 9:20 "the driving is like that of Jehu... for he drives like a madman."
I also like the King James Version “for he driveth furiously”.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts