1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
That is an old video from 2011. When that came out, almost 4 years ago, there was some buzz about it.

Come about May, when the 991.2S comes out, you can certainly expect it to be faster than any current Z28. You got to remember you are comparing a four year old car with a new one. ;)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is an old video from 2011. When that came out, almost 4 years ago, there was some buzz about it.

Come about May, when the 991.2S comes out, you can certainly expect it to be faster than any current Z28. You got to remember you are comparing a four year old car with a new one. ;)
The video is dated 08/28/12.

And I'm not following you. The 2013 991 IS the current version of the 911. Has there been some significant upgrades to the 991 S since 2013?

And not to bust your chops, but as is the habit of Porsche, the 991 video was not even a full lap- they started the clocks at the end of the straight where the GP track exit is, and then stopped the clocks at the beginning of it. If it had been a full lap, it would have been even slower.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
The video is dated 08/28/12.

And I'm not following you. The 2013 991 IS the current version of the 911. Has there been some significant upgrades to the 991 S since 2013?

And not to bust your chops, but as is the habit of Porsche, the 991 video was not even a full lap- they started the clocks at the end of the straight where the GP track exit is, and then stopped the clocks at the beginning of it. If it had been a full lap, it would have been even slower.
The early runs were in 2011. This one, from 9/11, was at 7:40. New Porsche 911/991 Laps Nurburgring In 7 Min. 40 Sec; 13 Seconds Faster Than Predecessor | car News @ Top Speed This caused a big stir as it was just as fast as a 997GT3.

The one you linked to is this one, New Porsche 991 Carrera S Posts a 7.37:9 Nürburgring Lap, Beats 997 Turbo with Timo Kluck. Its recorded in fastest laps as 2011 model. Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com ranked 45. Clearly some cars were built in 2011 and sold as MY12 models, just as 2015 Caymans were actually built in early 2014. But I'm not sure why they list it as a '11 model other than maybe the physical year of production. The car was launched in Sep, 2011 so it could easily been have built in 2011.

There was some controversy as it didn't seem possible that the 991S could be as fast as the previous generation's GT3 and made a huge jump from the 997.

As to the start/stop, that was a Porsche factory driver. Look at all the other runs, usually done by Walter Roehrl. All the factory times will surely be done exactly the same way whether they be a GT2RS or Cayman S. If they weren't then none of the times, including the projected GT4 or existing GT2 or GT3RS would mean anything and they entire system would be suspect.

The other thing to think about is that the Z28 comes with Trofeo R tires, treadwear rating of 60. While street legal, probably worthless below 50 degrees or in any rain. Meanwhile that 991S came with the same P zeros you get on a 981. Switch to the same Trofeos and how many seconds would that reduce the 991 time?

Yes, cars built in 2011 as well as 991S cars being built this very day have the exact same HP (unless X51 is optioned). However, the facelift is likely in May, with a projected 30 HP bump, and is bound to have a lower time. I doubt PAG will publish a time worse than a pre-facelifted car.

So thats it. 2011 car, 4 years ago. New car in May. etc. All factory times with factory drivers. Totally different tires between the Chevy and the Porsche, one being barely street legal and most likely useless for DD and the other just like any other summer tires, etc

I hope that helped some in understanding the relevant difference. No doubt that Chevy is playing harder and there is no doubt that the Z06 is supposed to be very quick.

This is all academic exercise anyway. Unless your name is Mr. Roehl or Mr. Kluck or Mr. Webber, none of us will ever come close to this having any meaning other than for those that argue about such things at the bar.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Totally different tires between the Chevy and the Porsche, one being barely street legal and most likely useless for DD and the other just like any other summer tires, etc

I hope that helped some in understanding the relevant difference. No doubt that Chevy is playing harder and there is no doubt that the Z06 is supposed to be very quick.
Thank you. Without your help, I would have never been able to figure this on my own. My experience as an expert-licensed road racer and road racing instructor, along with my experience actually having driven the Nurburgring Norschleife at speed in a competent automobile, was simply not enough for me to be able to figure this out on my own, lol.

You understand the Camaro's lap was a partial wet lap, right?

This is all academic exercise anyway. Unless your name is Mr. Roehl or Mr. Kluck or Mr. Webber, none of us will ever come close to this having any meaning other than for those that argue about such things at the bar.
That part is very true. Otherwise, youtube would not be full of videos of decrepit Honda Civics and old VW Golfs passing late-model Ferraris, GT3 RS 911s, and Ariel Atoms on the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts