Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
Discovered today that the front license plate bracket (hard plastic) has cracked, owing obviously to the extreme cold mobdro lucky patcher kodi temps we've been having. Bloody winter.
A quick google search indicates this should be covered under warranty thankfully.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is definitely not a winter car.
about a month ago I was warming up my bx in the garage, excited by the sound of the sport exhaust and that oh so familiar feel behind the wheel; I decided to back it out a few feet and drive back in.
I guess I should have started with the fact that I live in Spokane Washington, February is a bit cold still.
well to make a long story short it took me 2 hours and some seriously hard chipping away at the ice to get my baby back in her cozy heated garage.
cant wait for a bit warmer weather.
just another situation where she made me do what she wanted, it happens all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
I feel for you guys
Tough here in Florida shorts, tee shirts and 80's all week; plus low humidity - you done get that much here.
Went for a 40 mile drive yesterday with the windows down, radio off, exhaust on sport - just to air things out.
Then hit the food truck for a $5 sausage peppers and onion hero.

·
Registered
12 Posts
does anyone else talk to their car?
my wife laughs at me when she comes out in the garage to see who I’m talking to, and it’s the Porsche.
I sometimes sit in the car in the winter and just shift gears.
it might be ok if I just got it, but I bought her 7 years ago.
winter is the worst, I try to keep the cover on, but I invent reasons to take off the cover To look at the way the fluorescent lights make the matalick paint sparkle.
its not like I don’t have other interests, i have other cars, grand kids and of course a lovely wife.
but boy is that damn Boxster fun to drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
does anyone else talk to their car?
my wife laughs at me when she comes out in the garage to see who I’m talking to, and it’s the Porsche.
I sometimes sit in the car in the winter and just shift gears.
it might be ok if I just got it, but I bought her 7 years ago.
winter is the worst, I try to keep the cover on, but I invent reasons to take off the cover To look at the way the fluorescent lights make the matalick paint sparkle.
its not like I don’t have other interests, i have other cars, grand kids and of course a lovely wife.
but boy is that damn Boxster fun to drive.
I may not understand this as well as some but I've been told shifting gears with the vehicle off is a terrible idea. The engine isn't running to run the oil around and lubricate things so you're moving parts over one another without any lubricant. I would definitely stop that if I were you.

Any time I go to a car show where they invite you to sit in the cars I notice they have removed the shift knob and it's just the bare metal post sticking up. That's to deter you from wanting to shift the gears without oil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any time I go to a car show where they invite you to sit in the cars I notice they have removed the shift knob and it's just the bare metal post sticking up. That's to deter you from wanting to shift the gears without oil.
Around here, it's always been a deterrent to the theft of the shift knob

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's really because they are either 1) trying to keep people from stealing the shift knob, or 2) it's already been stolen. Shift knobs are a common theft item at shows. I guarantee it has nothing to do with oiling or concern for the transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do pretend to allow the revs to climb to an acceptable level so as not short shift and overload the clutch.
also i accelerate in a very even motion to allow smooth engagement..
my attempt is to make as smooth a shift as I can..
but admittedly, I mostly like playing in my Porsche.
I also have a 1967 Pontiac Firebird with a 455 in it. That car has a turbo 350
and duel holly double pumpers..
no shifting and positively no gas. Until summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I drive the Cayman on clear days all through the winter. Never had a problem. We took up a trip up to the NH mountains a couple months ago and it got down to -14F at night. Winter tires, heated seats, send it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The winter season poses some unfavorable driving conditions. All you ask for is the ability to get from point A to B with no problems or delays, but winter has no regard for your concerns. Though the cold months don’t always offer stress-free driving, maneuvering yourself on the wintery roads isn’t an impossible feat. Patience is an ideal trait to have for drivers this time of the year. Maintaining good driving habits and staying aware of your surroundings will safely get you through the dangers of winter.

shareit apk vidmate apk pc

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
July 7

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I drive mine all year, with winter tires of course. No issues - the Cayman is terrific in the snow. When it is really nasty I leave it in the garage and take the other car- not because the Porsche can't handle it, but because the odds of getting hit by an idiot rise substantially in bad weather.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Owner I bought mine from routinely took the Cayman to Porsche for winter tire swaps. He put plenty of miles on each winter.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I drive mine all year, with winter tires of course. No issues - the Cayman is terrific in the snow. When it is really nasty I leave it in the garage and take the other car- not because the Porsche can't handle it, but because the odds of getting hit by an idiot rise substantially in bad weather.
I agree with your reasoning for leaving it in the garage on really nasty days, that would be my biggest fear but I also know what winter does to my daily driver. I will not subject my Cayman to that. That’s why I have a car for winter. If I lived in an area where salt and sand weren’t used to deal with freezing conditions, I would have no problem. Of course I don’t fault anyone for doing it either.

The previous service manager at my local dealership would practically make fun of people of my opinion. Of course, he didn’t drive a nice new Porsche and is obviously no longer working there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in houston, but grew up in Chicago. I would not drive a 2 door porsche in a Chicago winter. I drive my Cayman everywhere. It pains me to have to take my wife's Q5 anywhere, which is extremely rare.

·
Registered
19 Posts
More power to those of you who drive your cars year round. But here on the lake effect snow side of the Great Lakes, where we average 100" of snow each year, I find it prudent to take advantage of the insurance discount for not driving three months each winter.

Reactions: PG-IN
1 - 18 of 18 Posts