Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Steve - in my opinion, the 3% off a 2007 Porsche Cayman S is a better deal than the 5% off a 2006, even if we assume a 1%-2% bump up in the price of a 2007 over the 2006.You’ll be getting the car delivered at the same time the 2007’s appear; thus, you’ll own a one year old used car the second you drive it off the lot.The first year deprecation is currently difficult to quantify, but if one looks at eBay cars sold (completed listings) 8.5% deprecation is the average of arms-length sales.Yet, I suspect that number is low (in other words the deprecation of a 2006 will be greater) considering the number (90% +) of Cayman’s unsold (incomplete listings).</div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Therefore, using the numbers found on eBay, on a $70,000 car you’d save $3150.00 (4.5%) by purchasing the 2007; moreover, you would not have a first year car which some people, like myself, will not buy.</div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">A good deal in the Bay Area (San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose) would be 4% over invoice from the fleet/internet manager.But, if you walk in the door (instead of dealing via the internet with the fleet manager) of any dealership (any automobile brand) you’ll pay the salesperson 10-20% of the deal.</div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">If we all stop walking into showrooms before we have gotten a fleet manager’s name and he/she has given us a price one has played off every other dealer in ones state and then some - I hopeyou will all come to 3%-4% above invoice or less on any 2006/7 Porsche Cayman S.</div>

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered a 2007 cayman s about 3 weeks ago and found a lot of variability in pricing in the bay area and in california as a whole. Talking to an internet sales manager instead of a sales guy made a huge difference.

Stevens Creek Porsche was a horrible dealer to work with. The sales staff in general were very uppity and one sales guy yelled at me to stop shifting the gears (the parking brake was up so it wasn't a safety thing). What's the big deal, it's not like its going to break and how else will I get a feel for the transmission since they weren't offering a test drive.

When I asked for a discount off the msrp of a cayman s, he made a point to say that I was 'price sensitive' and he wasn't helpful at that point. I was ready to buy on the spot and he wouldn't offer anything off msrp. It seemed silly given the large inventory of caymans in the bay area- and california as a whole. The beverly hills dealership had 20+ available on the website and the sales guys laughed at me when I asked for a discount.

In contrast, I got $5000 off a 2007 cayman s order at Carlsen immediately and agreed to $5500, though I think I could have gotten another $250-$500 off, but didn't push.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think 10% off an '06 would be easy work. If you really want to save, see the thread under 'Program Cars'. 5,000 miles in the grand scheme of things is nothing esp. of Porsche is stepping to the plate with their cert program................

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Noob here, first post. I recently caught the fever andventured down to the local dealer last Saturday to check out the base Cayman. I should know better, but started out talking to one of the regular salesguys. I am in the middle of a home refi so told them up front I wasn't ready to move until that's over with. He offered to order a car to my spec for October build with no obligation since it was a pretty standard car, we never discussed price. He did mention $3K off of any '06 S's, of which they have a dozen or more, they also have 7 or 8 base models, mostly lightly optioned. Judging from what I read here, a 6% discount from MSRP should be doable, but I suspect this dealer will balk at that. There is another dealership in town, but same group owns them both. Is it too late to try contacting the internet or fleet manager? If this dealer totally refuses to budge, I am certainly willing to go out of state. Realistically, I'll be ready to buy off the lot by early October or so. I'm in Houston.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Mitchell,

That contract escape clause, akin to the deal made in 'Damn Yankees', only applies 'if' the deposit is actually part of a comittment to actually 'buy' a car. Where I purchased my car, in Walnut Creek, CA, the $2K was taken and a form was signed by me that the money would not be returned if I failed to purchase the car that they were ordering. The money was taken to place an order. It wasn't to buy a car. The form expressed that the dealer may be at risk by ordering the car and could lose money, if I did not desire to purchase it after ordering - someone may not want the options that I did. Or they may have to discount the car to all those wanting a bargain ...

As it turned out, I did purchase a differnt car from them - same spec'ed car essentially - and they applied that $2K to the purchase.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I think you can get '06 cayman S in the NE area for 10%+ ff MSRP. I got ~ 10% off. I had a dealer call me yesterday upset that I had already purschased. NOW is the time to buy at deep discounts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You Americans are so lucky! Not only can we get ZERO discount on any new Porsche, we also pay more for the car in the first place!! At today's rates, mine would be just over $100k... that sucks. /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/omg_smile.gif

41 - 49 of 49 Posts