Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Cool!!!

Love the comparison between an Avalon and the Cayman.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Saw that the other day. It was a nice read.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wish they would do a follow up article to help us choose an exhaust that caters to the sound we want. Materials used, muffler materials/shapes, tubing diameter. loved reading this article though

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I wish they would do a follow up article to help us choose an exhaust that caters to the sound we want. Materials used, muffler materials/shapes, tubing diameter. loved reading this article though
I suspect that none of those things are relevant in the realm of helping people choose an aftermarket exhaust "in general". There's just too many factors involved in each individual car that can't be accounted for.

Reactions: payne295171

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Good luck with the new 4-cylinder turbo Porsches masculine exhaust sounds.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Christophorus #369, "Where the Music comes from", p. 55 by Michi Koch.

It's far more sophisticated than the R&T simple descriptions. The R&T article is good to show the different engines, But just look at the sound room where they design how the engines will sound. Read about the tuning of the Helmholtz resonator, and of course, the sound symposer to ensure the engine sounds, and not the exhaust sounds, are piped into the cabin.

Read what Porsche does to soften the valve train noise. You think Chevy does that?

Interesting stuff.

Also note that sound restrictions, both in the EU and US, are making it difficult so the are attempting to ensure the driver hears the correct engine sounds but the outside world gets a quieter muffled exhaust sound.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have owned and driven a number of different cars, used stock and put on aftermarket exhausts and I can tell you the sound that I hear in my 981C 2.7L when I get on it a bit is probably the most pleasing, pure 'sports car' sound I have ever experienced in my POV and against my requirements. My experience supports the articles. Cars I have owned and played around with............68 Mustang 289 (Edelbrock hi rise intake, headers and thrush mufflers), 76 Firebird 400 (cat bypass pipe), 96 GTI, 2000 S4, 2000 C5 Vette (BB catback), 2003 GLI (XI Autowerks catback & CAI), 2003 M3, 2004 GTO (Corsa catback, Lngenfelter CAI), 2004 Mini Cooper S (Scorpion exhaust, CAI), 2006 Audi A3 (EVOMS CAI), 2008 Audi TT (CAI, catback), Cayman R with Sport Exhuast, Mk VI Golf R (Carbonio intake, Magnaflow catback).

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, great shot, is that by Yosemite ?
It is Yosemite Valley around Thanksgiving. Gotta love the 981 in California.

IMG_20141121_1001332.jpg

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm almost ready to open up the OE exhaust and go Tubi. Dying to hear the rest of the engine.

Reactions: payne295171

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Cool!!!

Love the comparison between an Avalon and the Cayman.
Yeah, I guess a Supra wasn't available :taunt: Actually, although the picture was a Cayman S, the discussion was a generic 6 cyl Porsche engine and the graph data was for a 911. I guess R&T can't tell one Porsche from another - like 90% of the car buyers.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen
1 - 13 of 13 Posts