Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in my college days I had this car, an early 70’s VW Type 411. A friend of mine gave it to me, telling me that if I could make it run, it was mine. I could not make it run, he ended up having to tow it back. Early Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection was way beyond my meager mechanical capabilities back then. It was probably a good thing that I never got it running. It was not for lack of trying, but you see if I did, I probably would have had to start doing stuff to it. You know stuff; better floor mats, fuzzy dice, better tires. The list would have gone on and on.

That is what happens when I buy a car, I start down that slippery slope of making it better. Now “better” is subjective here. Better could mean making the car operate within its design parameters (start, accelerate, brake, steer), function as a rolling entertainment system (installing amps and big thumping speakers) or get around a track faster (more about this later…). But the point is that I cannot for the life of me leave things alone. I cannot just drive a car without mods…I just can’t. Trust me; I have tried, just ask my wife. Every car I have ever bought has been in better shape than when I bought it. You want to buy my old cars, you really do.

It really started with my first car, a worn down and worn out 1965 Ford Mustang. It was a sorry piece of junk and if you want to read more about my adventures with it, check out my blog: My life with Porsches: Turning a wrench – for the first time a good account of the first time I tried to turn some wrenches on my own. Nothing like finishing up a job with a box of parts left over. Hope the car did not need them…too much.

When it comes to Porsches, the slippery slope has especially been true. My first Porsche, a 1972 914 - wider tires and a louder exhaust, did not help it run, but man it sounded better. My second Porsche, a 1987 944S pretty much went unscathed. But when I bought a 1976 930 Turbo Carrera, it was for the most part perfect, so what did I do? Made it more perfect. I spent 2 years restoring it, pulling the engine (side note: one of my Porsche buddies and I could remove the motor / transmission in 90 minutes flat, it must have been fun to watch), rebuilding the heads and transmission along with new clutch and flywheel. I rebuilt or replaced many of the engine parts, even though they worked. It was just that newer ones looked better. AC lines dried out with age? No problem, I spent one entire weekend kneeling in the front hood routing hoses that should have not been there to begin with. My knees have never been the same since. New wheel bearings, new brake rotors, rebuilt the calipers…the list went on and on. The hood had a couple of small dingers from stones…repainted it. Same thing for a rear fender, the area around the engine and the lower valance panel under the bumper, tiny imperfections taken care of. The folks at the body shop loved me, my wife…not so much.

Was it worth it? Well I went two for two with best in show / class in the two concourses I entered the car in. By now I had been bitten by a bug, an evil Porsche bug. I decided that I wanted to try track events so I asked my Porsche buddies if I should take the 930 out on the track. They said HELL NO, it is too nice and if you do toast the motor, it took $10K minimum to rebuild it. This car had been turned into a garage / concourse queen. Hmmm, better buy…ANOTHER Porsche. So I bought a pretty tired 1986 944 (951) Turbo and started on the upgrade / mod game to turn it into a track car. I chipped it (who doesn’t), redid all the belts and tensioners, added a harness bar, track seats, another set of wheels with R-Rated tires, sways and bushing, the list went on and on. This car was just getting too uncomfortable to drive on the street so I needed a daily driver…so what did I do? I bought another one, a beautiful 1999 Boxster in Artic Silver / Boxster Red interior! Yes I had three Porsches, life was good, and I was the envy of my friends (all 2 of them). For your enjoyment, here is a picture of the 1976 930.

Then one day the fun ended. My long suffering wife had enough. She went out into our garages (yes I said garages), at that point we had some property with space for 7(!!) cars and it was my desire to fill every space. I think at one point, we had the three Porsches (930, 951, 986), an Excursion (to tow the track car), a car hauler trailer, a 1983 Mercedes 240D (airport car) and I think a BMW 525i Touring. It was a menagerie. She went out and made a sweeping motion with her arm and said they are all gone, get rid of them all! I think I slept on the very far edge of the bed that night…she had hurt my feeling. All my babies would go on the chopping block. The 944 Turbo went first, followed by the trailer, Excursion, Mercedes, 930 and finally the Boxster. Yes…I was…Porsche-less. Tough times.

But it is hard to keep a good man down, or at least a lifelong diehard gearhead like me. I bought an Audi A3 with DSG and tried it out on the track. It was fun, but quite heavy and DSG would not stay in gear on long turns. So I convinced my wife that I could get back to the track on the cheap if only she would let me buy…a Miata. Guess what, I did not even hesitate for a second but launched myself headlong down the slippery slope yet again: Cold air intake, headers, exhaust, shocks / springs / sways, roll bar, stripped out interior with heat shielding, Sparco seats / harnesses and track tires on ultra-lightweight wheels. Yep, I was back in the track car scene. But I hated the Miata. Why? Because it wasn’t a Porsche.

I sold the Miata to a dad that was just getting into track events with his two sons. It was the perfect starter car for them. Looking around at Porsches for sale, I found that there was a huge hole in my Porsche heart for a 968. I searched the country and found a very clean a ’92 Slate Gray Metallic coupe on Arizona. Took my wife and flew out to pick it up and drive it back, it was a good trip back to Texas. So once again into the breech with a ton of mods and upgrades, this car was way better than when I bought it and the guy that eventually bought it got a great car. As it was trucked off to Florida, I closed the door of the garage that held the 968 and opened the one that held its replacement, a 2001 Boxster S.

The mods on the Speed yellow S were just getting under way in earnest, the slippery slope was alive and well when it was taken from me, rear-ended by a gal in large pickup. She was distracted at the time. Shame as her distraction resulted in a totaled Boxster and a visit to the emergency room for me and my son. We got back to our hotel room (we were on a weekend drive) and were already shopping for cars on the computer, woozy from a concussion and all.

So now a 2006 Cayman S sits in the garage, a CPO with 57K miles on the odometer. Mods you ask? If my wife is reading this, she should probably stop now….Oh there is a long list. The slippery slope is just waiting out there, but it will take a long time to do them all (in case she is still reading). Here is the deal, as much as we love our cars and believe that Porsche really does a good job (for the most part) in designing and building them, they just lend themselves to mods and upgrades, they are just begging to be made faster, handle better, look cooler and yeah…go much faster around that long sweeping left hander at MSR or Road Atlanta! I do not know about you, but mine tells me every time I go out into the garage that it can’t wait until I install the extended oil sump from Mantis Sport and we have long debates about the next level up in grippy street / track tires. Yeah they are all culpable, just begging for the next round of upgrades and we just have to comply. It is very hard to keep a good car down or off that slippery slope.

See you all next month.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice write up. I agree, P-Cars beg for upgrades and mods...its why we love them:cheers:.
The white 930 makes me ache with desire!
The munched speed yellow 986 makes me ache in pain :(
Have fun with the 987CS, it will be a track burner!!

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Loved the story. Especially the part about having two friends :hilarious:. Its hard maintaining a collection of cars and friendships....

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Wonderfully fun story to read. I needed a chuckle or two today.

I think it is a gender thing. I have yet to buy anything I didn't want to "make better".

A compliment to my wife,,,,,,,, are you reading this, honey?

I guess I am one of those lucky ones. My wife not only understands my obsessions, but joins me in them.

She has taken to riding motorcycles like a duck to water, and in the first couple of years surpassed my 30 yr abilites on two wheels. Necessary accessories and modifications included. (always nice to have that pair of smaller hands and better eyes to find that bolt I dropped down into the never never land of plastic, frame and engine)

She sweats right along with me as we make the modifications to whatever.

When she took her turn at test driving the Cayman with the salesman, her first words getting out of the car with a huge grin on her face was "I'll sell MY car if you want to buy it NOW" (gotta love it)

She was all for putting the Borla cat back on the credit card on Black Friday.

She couldn't wait until it came in, and after a long day at work, laid under the car with me installing it (just two hours off and back on with smoke breaks) AND then wanted to drive it right away even though it was 11:00pm.

She was my "guest" at the Porsche Road Show, and impressed the instructors.

I beam when someone at the Porsche Roadshow would say "MY wife doesn't really share my car enthusiasm" ,,,,,,and realize how very lucky I am.

I am sure I am forgetting a bunch here, not the least of which is she is all this and 5'10 and sexy as hell.

Love you, honey, and no, your very own 911 is probably not in the budget right now. We're still paying on the car you have. Get your bike paid off and we'll talk.

And don't forget, we're saving for driving school.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STM, that is awesome stuff! I probably take a bit of poetic license with how tough my wife is on me, after I have owned 8 of these things and she let me buy / upgrade after the Boxster S was totaled.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
STM, that is awesome stuff! I probably take a bit of poetic license with how tough my wife is on me, after I have owned 8 of these things and she let me buy / upgrade after the Boxster S was totaled.
LOL, I figured as much! NO doubt she knows what to expect from your next move before YOU know you are going to make it! LOL We are usually pretty nieve in our belief of just what and how much they know about us and our thoughts.

Great write up and between the P World Road Show and reading your post, I am thinking,,,,,,,,,,hmmmmm a second car for track,,,,,,,, yeah, that's the ticket. What a great excuse,,,ahem,,, idea.

Looking forward to learning so much more about the brand

1 - 6 of 6 Posts