Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A topic I often struggle with is: why am I spending $90k on a car? Is it really 3x better than a $30k car? Maybe it comes from my relatively conservative upbringing - I never had money to burn. But in actually - it comes more from my wife who does not 'get' the passion.

Nonetheless, it is a good question. I think we all self-justify our decisions whether they end up being right or wrong. In the end, there is no one correct answer, everyone has their own motivation. Maybe I'll do a short list ranking why I choose a 981 Cayman GTS, then you can give your list. Would be interesting to see your motivation...
Why spend so much on a car?

1) I love driving and appreciate quality, form / function.
Of all the cars I have driven, tested...Porsche Cayman is the one that gives me that 'feeling' when I drive it. All Porsches have that 'something-something' quality about them - the solid thunk of the door, the way everything fits together the way that it is supposed to, the visibility, the intuitiveness, the sounds, the engagement. Which flavor you select is up to you...but they all have it. IMO there is no other 'feeling' car like them. They will last and still be fresh in 10 years, cannot say that about most competitors.

2) It is a smart choice
It is the perfect combination of performance, eliteness (high end but not stuffy or overly showy), comfort, and reliability.

3) OK I'll say it, I'm not a show off - but I enjoy the fact that I can afford a car like this...not everyone can. It does make me feel special, like I 'made it'. Is it so wrong to feel fortunate to be able to afford something like this? I never bring it up in conversation with others or brag about it (I am overly conscious of this) - but I do feel good internally to be able to buy this.
I much prefer to talk about it with other enthusiast who enjoy cars and know the difference between a poser car and a quality machine. In the end - there is always someone who can afford bigger/better, so it is useless to try to compare vs others.

So I look at what else I would have done with this car money...put it in the bank and sit on it for when the hospitals take it? buy a rental condo that will likely just aggravate me with maintenance/renters? Buy my kids cars (I fund enough for them)? Go on a more expensive vacation?

Nope - Having a nice car and being able to drive it every day is like a little vacation 7x24x365 for me.
I put my money down gladly and have had zero ragrets since.

·
Registered
602 Posts
For me there were several factors; I've always loved cars, although not particularly Porsche tbh, and I've always wanted a mid-engine car and can't fit in an Elise or afford a Ferrari! I also enjoy a naturally aspirated engine and wanted something with more than 4 cylinders, so that ruled out the Z4 and TT and the SLK350 just doesn't look that great (although it drives ok).

The car was custom ordered exactly as I wanted it. If other people like it then that's great, but what is more important is that I like it and enjoy the way it looks and drives.

It's expensive, but it always feels like a quality product and I intend to keep it for a long time.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Nice sig pic.... :D

You're welcome :cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great writing, I share with you the passion. Every time I drive my Boxster makes me smile, even when stuck in traffic, love that NA six music, never feels enough, wish the road never ends. My wife thinks am selfish for spending this much money on a car that only seats 2 (we are a family of 4), I think she will never understand, just like I will never understand why she has 5 shades of blue shoes!
You made the right call, work hard, play harder. It is time you enjoy what you have earned. My car is family now, and yours will be born soon, trust me, my heart was beating during delivery just like when it was waiting for delivery of my 1st daughter. Wish I can sleep in the garage! Call me crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hehe - imitation (stealing) is the greatest form of flattery!
I really loved the silhouette you had there, your font is much better than mine though...
I have vinyl silhouette decals in my garage of the various cars I have owned...will be getting one similar to that pic soon!

Nice sig pic.... :D

You're welcome :cheers:

Reactions: PG-IN

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hehe - imitation (stealing) is the greatest form of flattery!
I really loved the silhouette you had there, your font is much better than mine though...
I have vinyl silhouette decals in my garage of the various cars I have owned...will be getting one similar to that pic soon!
:)

The Cayman is actually an image of the 987 trunk badge. I have looked for years for that Porsche font and it only exists behind the walls of the Porsche PR and Marketing building. Obviously has NEVER leaked.

I love the graphic on the PCM display at key on, so I used that and photoshop to create the silhouette. So you could say, I "borrowed" the concept. I've had the hood badge on there for a while, but not too sure I'm diggin it. It may disappear. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I enjoy the fact that I can afford a car like this...not everyone can. It does make me feel special, like I 'made it'. Is it so wrong to feel fortunate to be able to afford something like this? I never bring it up in conversation with others or brag about it (I am overly conscious of this) - but I do feel good internally to be able to buy this.
Sounds like you are exactly within the Porsche "Proud Patron" psychographic profile. There is nothing wrong with it. PAG identified these traits as traits of Porsche buyers years ago.

You haven't taken delivery right? Yes? No? You might want to read this thread and then see how you feel a year from now http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-...ell-people-you-have-porsche-keep-private.html. A lot of good info in that thread.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Great writing, I share with you the passion. Every time I drive my Boxster makes me smile, even when stuck in traffic, love that NA six music, never feels enough, wish the road never ends. My wife thinks am selfish for spending this much money on a car that only seats 2 (we are a family of 4), I think she will never understand, just like I will never understand why she has 5 shades of blue shoes!
You made the right call, work hard, play harder. It is time you enjoy what you have earned. My car is family now, and yours will be born soon, trust me, my heart was beating during delivery just like when it was waiting for delivery of my 1st daughter. Wish I can sleep in the garage! Call me crazy

Z.H., M.B.:

Great Writing but BAD SPELLING.

"Manuel" Does he wash the car for you?

"No ragrets" I had those yesterday at lunch in my salad. They're not bad, if that's what they were.

:cheers:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pretty easy to justify if you get a very large amount of pleasure from it for a long time, and if money isn't much of an issue.

For me, once the novelty of it wore off, the disadvantages of driving a sports car as a daily driver were becoming more and more apparent, so the car is now more of a weekend/special occasion car. Even in that role, I find that I drive it less and less because of factors like "been there, done that", somewhat fatiguing driving experience, concerns about parking safety. Also, some of the places I go on weekends aren't good for a low ground clearance car, and my area is just too congested to enjoy the car much unless you're out there at dawn. Bottom line: it ended up not being justified for me in terms of the ratio of money to enjoyment, but I know it can be very different for other people.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Pretty easy to justify if you get a very large amount of pleasure from it for a long time, and if money isn't much of an issue.

For me, once the novelty of it wore off, the disadvantages of driving a sports car as a daily driver were becoming more and more apparent, so the car is now more of a weekend/special occasion car. Even in that role, I find that I drive it less and less because of factors like "been there, done that", somewhat fatiguing driving experience, concerns about parking safety. Also, some of the places I go on weekends aren't good for a low ground clearance car, and my area is just too congested to enjoy the car much unless you're out there at dawn. Bottom line: it ended up not being justified for me in terms of the ratio of money to enjoyment, but I know it can be very different for other people.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427821130.555947.jpg

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The older you get the harder it is to put a price on something that makes you smile.

·
Registered
75 Posts
With my income, I had to save up to afford the boxster s I just ordered. The opportunity cost entered my mind a number of times. Our time alive is more finite than money, though, and owning a Porsche is an experience I have wanted since i was a kid. If you really want it and can responsibly afford it, get it. Life is short.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You did not get my humor...
Manuel is a play on Mexico Blue (Manual transmission = Manuel...also on the 996TT I had, the AC LED said Manuell when you switched off of auto - I tried to tie into that)
No Ragrets is from the movie "we are the Millers"

Z.H., M.B.:

Great Writing but BAD SPELLING.

"No ragrets" I had those yesterday at lunch in my salad. They're not bad, if that's what they were.

:cheers:

Reactions: Bueller and Mike R.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Monkeyboy: Everything you said applies to me...including the show off part. :)

I woke up one day and realized that after saving 50% of my pre-tax income for 20 years and then investing it well that I was still miserable even though I was sitting on a pile of money. What the heck good is money if you are not gong to employ it? I had the big three already taken care of or well on track (Kid's college, home, reitrement). I fixed my "miserable problem" and changed my life. The 981 was one piece of that change. I haven't looked back yet and I have a permanent smile on my face. lol

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The hardest hurdle to clear is the base price. Once you've done that, you're in the club. The returns on dollar $60,001 to $90,000 are diminishing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
A topic I often struggle with is: why am I spending $90k on a car? Is it really 3x better than a $30k car?
Well there's a huge diminishing returns on each extra dollar spent. Clearly a car that costs as much isn't 3x better in the same way a Ferrari isn't 2-3x better than a Porsche. At some point it's jewelry and exclusivity and knowing you aren't going to see a million of them next to you everywhere you turn.

I've owned ugly cars (first gen MR2) that handled great and I've owned cars that turned heads (93 RX-7, Porsche Cayman). I've always picked cars that I wanted drive or have experience with. In particularly I really wanted a mid engined car in college and that meant an older car like a 914 or a Fiat X1/9 or something a few years old at that time (1990) like the '87 MR2. I was interested in the RX-7 because of the rotary motor.

Porsche's have interested me since I started tracking cars and I was just impressed by their legitimacy and ability to handle the abuse better than most.

I honestly take the stereo types and occasional jealous looks with a bit of embarrassment. I bought the car because it's incredible well built and just fabulous to drive. I do enjoy its aesthetics but I'd by a great handling car that was ugly if there was no better option.

I actually go out of my way not to be a arse when I can be (it takes effort for me :). When people comment (positively) on my car I usually thank them and offer to let them sit in it and offer to take their picture in it and certainly I love talking cars with car guys. So my hope is to diffuse the sometimes awkward attention the car brings.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If that spelling is good enough for Porsche in the AC "non-Auto" mode, it's good enough for me.:beer:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
With my income, I had to save up to afford the boxster s I just ordered. The opportunity cost entered my mind a number of times. Our time alive is more finite than money, though, and owning a Porsche is an experience I have wanted since i was a kid. If you really want it and can responsibly afford it, get it. Life is short.

This, and the comment about putting a smile on my face as I get older!

Back in 1991, I was tired of driving and maintaining old Rabbits: lots of work and it was still a noisy clunky Rabbit. So I drove all my friend's cars, and realized it had to be a 914. Nothing else could match that magic agility with more stability than a 911.

Took the plunge to an SLK in the late 90's, and although luxy, the handling was awful. After totaling it, I knew I had to go back and picked up a used 2001BS. Loved that car for 12 years till it gave me backaches and leaked oil into the coolant.

Then I made the "mistake" of checking out the dealer, saw the 981, and was smitten! More legroom, 14-way seats, no more backaches. And it was gorgeous. And IT STILL DROVE LIKE A BOXSTER, despite the tech and the luxy. And I was really jonesing for that ACC/PAS. But it was WAY too much $$$.

Well, I struggled with lots of calculations, convinced myself I could afford it, though not prudently. But I had to replace the old 986, and couldn't bear the thought of a 987--same old not enough legroom--or a car that didn't respond like a Boxster. And this is the last time I would be able to splurge this way. So, I did it! Now, every drive puts a smile on my face, and I keep making the payments. No right or wrong answers, just decisions and consequences.

You could say that the 914 was the gateway drug. :)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
It was really quite simple for me. I have been driving lots of different types of cars over the past 56 years (since '58) and am now at the point that I want to drive something that makes me smile and something that I can enjoy. Yes, the price is high but then it seems that anything that is real quality is high, and I actually feel like I am getting a pretty good deal as my used Boxster is a heckuva lot cheaper than a 911 and I really do think it is a much better car for me -- so I feel I am actually getting something at a very attractive price point.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts