Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEVER would have ever thought of owning an old 914 - BUT, it was a drop-out-of-the-sky barn find I couldn't pass up, and may be worth over 4x what I paid for it once running! AND IT IS MID-ENGINE AND HANDLES GREAT! Or so they tell me......

A couple weeks ago I learned from a friend a '76 914 had been in his barn for 10 - 12 years and he wanted it out - but the owner had no place to put it and was going to try to sell it. Condition was supposed to be very good with almost no rust (they are well-known for being rust buckets), and car was running perfectly when parked in the barn - my friend was in it!

Thinking there was no way I'd be interested, I and an "old car nut" friend (a collector - has 13) went with me telling me a 914 was the one Porsche he would NEVER buy. But when we both saw it, and the owner said he'd take $3k for it, the answer had to be "DEAL!"

Original paint is incredible, but oxidized - but a good pro buffing should make it like new - only a few very small rust bubbles under windshield trim, a 3/4" exposed rust spot behind driver door at Targa. Car had a "frame-off" painting of all interior body panels with POR 15 about 17 years ago, and there is no rust anywhere where rust is known to likely be. Tank is out of car, needs cleanig and coating with POR 15 kit that came with car, dual-throat Webber carbs need to be rebuilt - but I can rebuild old carbs in my sleep.

"Carbs" you say? Weren't all 914's EFI? Yes. ECU went bad about '05 and none could be found - local Porsche dealer installed the carbs and Electronic Ignition. PO said while power didn't change, but responsiveness of engine improved greatly. BTW, PO raced 911's - even the 24 hour races...he knows his Porsche's. Got car for his girlfriend who, after a year without A/C, gave it back to him.

Pics here, taken the day it was parked in the barn:

http://s890.photobucket.com/user/rahanes/library/Vehicles/Porsche 914?sort=3&page=1

It will be my winter project, planning to get it in the $15k range at least....will I sell it? Depends on how much I enjoy driving it. It will be, after all, an appreciating asset - not a depreciating one like my Cayman S.....

So how rare is it to have 2 mid-engine Porsche's in your garage? Oh, this one will have to go on my lift, with the Cayman S sitting (well-protected) beneath it.

Any other 914 owners here?

GN

·
Registered
508 Posts
Former owner. Check out the 914World forum if you haven't already - that's where all the rebuilders are.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's fantastic! I'd say you got an excellent deal.

While you're working on it, be sure to inspect the "hell hole".....a common, hidden rust area on these cars.

It's my guess that, like 944s and 924s, these cars are finally getting some respect. I race against a couple of 1.7 versions all the time. I've never owned one but I wouldn't mind owning one if I got a deal like you have.

We have a local street 914 running around here with "914-6" badges. It's very low key and even has steel wheels and hub caps. Powered by a Subaru six with turbo.

The first 914 I ever saw was a promotional vehicle at Lime Rock around 1969. It had "VW/Porsche" badging on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts