Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up an 07 CS last week and i have been looking at people's photo and noticed that mine has the ugly external antenna on the fender, so why is that? is it an optional part ? anyone know if i can buy something to plug it or so ?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner installed something that required a fender mounted antenna.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It is an option that enables better AM receiving. But this is the first car I hear of with that option specced!

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Our local dealer used to have one and I thought it looked odd, but yeah you can spec it that way to supposedly get better radio reception, don't know how well it really works though. Sounds like you have a unique car, add it to the garage and post some pictures please!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My car has it. It is a no-cost option for better AM reception as posted above. I sure wouldn't have picked it, the car just came that way. As for removing it, if I unscrew the antenna (as I always do when I put the cover on) the radio reception (AM and FM) dies. You can see it (barely) in my avatar.

Maybe if you remove the base part and install a resistor the radio will work normally, with the regular antenna, I don't know.

I don't like it, I just accept that it's there. I will post some photos when I get time.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
When I ordered my car I thought about specing it with this external antenna but the dealer warned me that it was # ugly. Don't listen to AM that much anyway.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
so anyone have a solution for this ugly thing ?
There was discussion a few years ago about using a shark fin type roof antenna, but some people don't like those either. Would require some wiring to get to the roof but I expect a good stereo installer could handle it.

Bigger problem I think is patching the hole in the right fender. Must be an elliptical shaped thing. UG!

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is only one good solution. Remove it, have the hole plugged, repaint the fender, then find out how to make the radio work without it. I know you were hoping for something simple, but there isn't anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is only one good solution. Remove it, have the hole plugged, repaint the fender, then find out how to make the radio work without it. I know you were hoping for something simple, but there isn't anything.
yah that's what i'm planning to do. However, without it, i can't listen to any FM/AM at all right ? is there something that works and looks like the GPS receiver?

also once i pull the whole wire out, is there any whole inside (not fender) the car that i need to plug it so nothing gets in there ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Someone suggested one of those sirius type roof antenna, but I just hate those to the point I would reject ANY car that has one. I suppose our Cayman have the regular antenna but unscrewing the antenna stick leaves some kind of open circuit that prevents reception. Someone here must have experience with this, just not me.

As I said, I don't like the antenna, I just live with it. It does provoke some discussion at club meets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that this external antenna is fugly, but as a big FM buff, I wish my car had this external antenna for better reception. That windshield antenna is weak... Hence the reason for this external unit (while it's for improving AM, I bet it helps FM a bit too).

[USELESS COMMENT]However, in 30 years when these cars are highly collectible, any of these oddities will be really cool at the concours or car show. Original equipment antennas like this may be even a high priced part at the swap meet![/USELESS COMMENT]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.