Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
34,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to jump on the Manheim auction site yesterday and decided while I was there I would look up GT4's to see how they were selling. There were only 4 on the site and all 4 were over 100% of MSRP, the range was 108% to 115% of MSRP. This is on an auction site, I imagine that retail is still higher. Those who said GT4 prices wouldn't hold up and that in a couple of years you could buy them for a lot less seem to be mistaken. They are still highly sought after!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I think eventually there will be a bump in the price of all NA flat-6 cars. I have noticed that salvage auction prices are up and 3.4L and 3.8L engine prices are up on eb*y.

At the moment, the failure of 3rd gear in the GT4 cars is not well known outside of the racing community and a lot of them are frustrated. There is also the 'Gotta have the coolest car' crowd who are dumping their GT4s to get the next 'latest, greatest'. Any negative blip in GT4 pricing will be short term only.

V6

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had a chance to jump on the Manheim auction site yesterday and decided while I was there I would look up GT4's to see how they were selling. There were only 4 on the site and all 4 were over 100% of MSRP, the range was 108% to 115% of MSRP. This is on an auction site, I imagine that retail is still higher. Those who said GT4 prices wouldn't hold up and that in a couple of years you could buy them for a lot less seem to be mistaken. They are still highly sought after!
Since I won't be selling mine regardless, I have no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that some of the folks predicting a slump in GT4 prices were also predicting that the "new age" 718's would sell like hotcakes. Last time I checked, there was not a single GT4 retailing for under $100k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
34,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think eventually there will be a bump in the price of all NA flat-6 cars. I have noticed that salvage auction prices are up and 3.4L and 3.8L engine prices are up on eb*y.

At the moment, the failure of 3rd gear in the GT4 cars is not well known outside of the racing community and a lot of them are frustrated. There is also the 'Gotta have the coolest car' crowd who are dumping their GT4s to get the next 'latest, greatest'. Any negative blip in GT4 pricing will be short term only.

V6
There is no 3rd gear problem, that is all make believe on that other site. Not a single failure here! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is no 3rd gear problem, that is all make believe on that other site. Not a single failure here! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Make Believe my A _ _. Coming onto the front straight at Homestead in 2nd gear with a car on my back end I lost 3rd gear. All I can say to anyone who has had the gear go is complain to Porsche North America Customer service to get some kind of compensation such as money or extended warranty. They are receptive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wouldn't that fall under power train warranty anyways? Or do you still have to push them to replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
No problem with getting them t warranty tranny. I just insisted on something since I know of about 25 others and needed some kind of assurance that I would be covered in the future

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not relevant to many of you but down here in New Zealand we received about 20 cars new plus a handful of grey imports from the U.K. Most came out of the box at around $205 - $230 NZD in 2015/6. My suggestion is these cars are down by $20k at this point in time. Although most that have traded hands are the grey imports. Interesting points about 3rd gear. Hadn't heard or experienced that.

Enjoy your cars in good spirit

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not relevant to many of you but down here in New Zealand we received about 20 cars new plus a handful of grey imports from the U.K. Most came out of the box at around $205 - $230 NZD in 2015/6. My suggestion is these cars are down by $20k at this point in time. Although most that have traded hands are the grey imports. Interesting points about 3rd gear. Hadn't heard or experienced that.

Enjoy your cars in good spirit
Not in NZ, but trust me when I say I wish I was. Just thinking that at that pricing, the dynamics might be different. I maintain that it would be very difficult stateside to buy an undamaged GT4, regardless of options, under $100k. Will be interesting to see what happens if/when GT4 RS materializes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You definitely see many more of them popping up for sale now on Porsche site. Picked mine for 102% MSRP. It had clear bra and CPO included though

Not in NZ, but trust me when I say I wish I was. Just thinking that at that pricing, the dynamics might be different. I maintain that it would be very difficult stateside to buy an undamaged GT4, regardless of options, under $100k. Will be interesting to see what happens if/when GT4 RS materializes.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Assuming you liked everything you saw, sounds as if you got a good deal. Local ATL dealer has 2, both PTS, admittedly, one for $123k and one for 130k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It had 8,800 miles, which is a bit high for 9 months, but was fine otherwise, CPO, new tires, bra fixed, front lip replaced. Complete service history and no over revs. Paid 104K (MSRP was 102K). There were couple more similar ones, but not within a reasonable driving distance.

Found it using Porsche locator, sorted by price.

Assuming you liked everything you saw, sounds as if you got a good deal. Local ATL dealer has 2, both PTS, admittedly, one for $123k and one for 130k.

·
Registered
231 Posts
with the success of the GT 4 there is no doubt that Porsche will bring out a new model whether it is named GT4 RS or some other variant it surely will come. When that is announced you will see the market flooded with GT4's .... their prices will come tumbling to reality as owners will want the latest version. i think you can make book on this and i would be willing to bet alot on it ...anyone want to take the action ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
with the success of the GT 4 there is no doubt that Porsche will bring out a new model whether it is named GT4 RS or some other variant it surely will come. When that is announced you will see the market flooded with GT4's .... their prices will come tumbling to reality as owners will want the latest version. i think you can make book on this and i would be willing to bet alot on it ...anyone want to take the action ?
You might be correct if things happen just as you say, but you would be as foolish to bet on it as I would be to bet against it. P.S. Given the fairly small number of GT4's that made it to North America, "flooded" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You might be correct if things happen just as you say, but you would be as foolish to bet on it as I would be to bet against it. P.S. Given the fairly small number of GT4's that made it to North America, "flooded" might be a bit of an exaggeration.
GT4s aren't super common, but they certainly aren't super rare. Over 2000 were sold in the US.

The rare one was the Boxster Spyder, with I believe 724 in the US (compared to 891 for the 987.2 Spyder) and 37 in Canada. As a result, despite being in far less demand, Spyders also still have a bit of a premium ($10-15K over MSRP). Granted, that's still hundreds of units more common than a GT3 RS (which seems to carry around a $50K premium right now).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Out of curiosity, how many GT3s are sold each year on average? GT3 keeps its value relatively well and there are "many" of them around by now.

GT4s aren't super common, but they certainly aren't super rare. Over 2000 were sold in the US.

The rare one was the Boxster Spyder, with I believe 724 in the US (compared to 891 for the 987.2 Spyder) and 37 in Canada. As a result, despite being in far less demand, Spyders also still have a bit of a premium ($10-15K over MSRP). Granted, that's still hundreds of units more common than a GT3 RS (which seems to carry around a $50K premium right now).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts