Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Think I found my Cayman. Would appreciate any thoughts on it.

2007 Cayman S. 6 speed. Under 10k miles.

Meteor Grey Metallic
Black/Stone Grey Two-Tone Interior
Full Leather (I think w/two-tone). Dash is leather for sure.
Spoiler Lips Aluminum Look
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Sport Exhaust System
Heated Front Seats
19" Carrera S Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Automatic Climate Control
Sport Chrono Package W/Out PCM
BOSE Surround Sound-System
Floor Mats in Interior Color
Clear Plastic Bra (1/2 way up hood)

Car has no curb rash, no dings, nicks, or anything I can find. The dealer (not Porsche) says they are willing to sell to me, and I can drive off, and if the car fails a pre-purchase inspection by Porsche within 48 hours of purchase, then they take it back. Just under $40k. About 18 months left on warranty.

- Phil

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Sounds good to me.Options and price seem well within acceptable.18 months on warranty is nice Will the Dealer pay for inspection? Or refund Inspection cost if the car fails.Is all this in the Contract? What would quatify as a failure? Just a few of my thoughts.Goodluck and if you like it and feel good about the car,have fun with it and look forward to some pics..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Madcow,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I am looking for some reassurance this car is a good one. I plan to bake the car inspection cost into my offer. Good point on who pays if car fails inspection. I intend to make it clear that I define what a failure is, since it is subject to interpretation. Should I make up my own contract for this kind of stuff, or can such things be added to the existing sales document?

I am excited, but cautious until all is said and done and the car passes muster with Porsche. I hope that the fact that the car has a clear bra and no marks anywhere is indicative of a fanatical previous owner and a clean pre-purchase inspection report.

On a semi-related note, is it possible to have the car certified by Porsche and get the longer warranty? On a car with this low a mileage, it might meet CPO status as is. If it is being inspected, and I can get CPO, why not (if price is right). Not sure how this works.

- Phil

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems to add up to me too. Get the best price you can, but they have it priced fairly aggressive as-is for the options and mileage.
Thank you for your assessment. They told me there is some room on price, but not a lot. They want to move it, Porsches are not their core competency.

- Phil

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Looking good. Just take madcow's suggestions into account and I think you'll be fine!

·
Registered
719 Posts
PSM3 - if you're buying from a non-Porsche dealer, the car would not be eligible to be CPO'd, is as I understand it.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sounds like a very nice deal. I also purschased mine from a non Porsche dealer (Audi) and never had any issues. Didn't come with a CPO warranty but the factory warranty will take me to June of this year (since I bought it in 2/08) and I might purchase an extended warranty for a year or two going forward depending on price. The car sounds loaded though, mileage is nice and low and from all you've said it seems to be mint. I doubt the PPI will turn up anything. Hope it works out for you. We all know the excitement you're feeling. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Sounds like a very nice deal. I also purschased mine from a non Porsche dealer (Audi) and never had any issues. Didn't come with a CPO warranty but the factory warranty will take me to June of this year (since I bought it in 2/08) and I might purchase an extended warranty for a year or two going forward depending on price. The car sounds loaded though, mileage is nice and low and from all you've said it seems to be mint. I doubt the PPI will turn up anything. Hope it works out for you. We all know the excitement you're feeling. Good luck.
I also bought from non-Porsche dealer. It was a family affair. Guy and his son have a business where they sell choice used exotics in Savannah, GA. They are close to Hilton Head and had it looked at there. There was a new battery in it and the car had 16K on it. Two owners, the second being a person with the last name of Allman. I asked if she was related. She was. Traded for a C4S. Anyway, when the economy went flat, they moved out of their building into their brother's place...a Honda dealer. When we flew in, they picked us up at the airport and took us to the Honda dealer where my immaculate, new-to-me car was sitting in the showroom. I was able to start it up and drive it right off the floor. I have not had one lick of trouble with this car. It's now got 27k miles on it.

Caymans are not like old Ferraris. They're pretty tough little cars requiring little maintenance. It's possible to find an abused one with a lot of over-revs etc. But now that I've owned mine a while, I've pretty much taken it apart and put it back together. The only unusual thing I found was what looks like a replaced half-shaft. Replacement is a Porsche part but it was cleaner than the rest of the car and had the part number sticker showing.

I don't think my car was ever on a track before I bought it. The GPS had some interesting destinations saved in it. I think I could have found my way to the Allman's lake property pretty easily.

Yes, I'd take the car for a Porsche inspection and I wouldn't press too hard on the money, but insist that the promises they make are in writing. You want to be assured that you can return the car for full refund if they find something seriously wrong with it.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

-Sign hanging in the Gucci store near the bottom of the Spanish Steps in Rome

·
Registered
160 Posts
A couple of thoughts here...about a year ago I purchased my first Porsche, a 2007 CS which was pretty loaded....fortunately it had the CPO warranty that came from the private seller I got it from. While I have driven lots of manual trans cars...I wasn't an expert on how Porsches should work/feel...it had 22K miles when I got it and made the seller paid for all service work needed by a dealer:
1. since the car is about 4 model years old....make sure all proper maintenance has been done by the book...at a minimum
2. as I drove the car I noticed a noise when clutch was used...but it seemed OK...but the longer I drove it..and reported this characteristic to the dealer...long story short they dropped the trans, replaced the thrust bearing and lubed things...likely problem is that that car wasn't driven that much a slight rust coating built up...and wasn't as smooth as it should be....made a huge difference in the car...
3. that vintage CS had an older key/remote that could be very sensitive....at times I would find one or both hoods unlocked....there is a software update and the dealer replaced both keys with the new style that cured the problem
4. mine had 18" wheels....even then had problems with low clearance...even had one speed bump that tore out one of the screws that lodged in the left from tire....19" wheels make the car sit even lower....personally, since mine is a daily driver, I wouldn't touch the 19" setup...also very stiff ride
5. I paid about $39K a year ago for a 2007 CS that had similar options...with the 100K mile CPO warranty....so I guess I would suggest that there should be a lower price available....

·
Registered
278 Posts
great find! Love meteor grey!

Think I found my Cayman. Would appreciate any thoughts on it.

2007 Cayman S. 6 speed. Under 10k miles.

Meteor Grey Metallic
Black/Stone Grey Two-Tone Interior
Full Leather (I think w/two-tone). Dash is leather for sure.
Spoiler Lips Aluminum Look
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Sport Exhaust System
Heated Front Seats
19" Carrera S Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Automatic Climate Control
Sport Chrono Package W/Out PCM
BOSE Surround Sound-System
Floor Mats in Interior Color
Clear Plastic Bra (1/2 way up hood)

Car has no curb rash, no dings, nicks, or anything I can find. The dealer (not Porsche) says they are willing to sell to me, and I can drive off, and if the car fails a pre-purchase inspection by Porsche within 48 hours of purchase, then they take it back. Just under $40k. About 18 months left on warranty.

- Phil

·
Registered
245 Posts
Madcow,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I am looking for some reassurance this car is a good one. I plan to bake the car inspection cost into my offer. Good point on who pays if car fails inspection. I intend to make it clear that I define what a failure is, since it is subject to interpretation. Should I make up my own contract for this kind of stuff, or can such things be added to the existing sales document?

I am excited, but cautious until all is said and done and the car passes muster with Porsche. I hope that the fact that the car has a clear bra and no marks anywhere is indicative of a fanatical previous owner and a clean pre-purchase inspection report.

On a semi-related note, is it possible to have the car certified by Porsche and get the longer warranty? On a car with this low a mileage, it might meet CPO status as is. If it is being inspected, and I can get CPO, why not (if price is right). Not sure how this works.

- Phil
Purchaser always pays for inspection, but, it is done before the transaction is closed. If you're not satisfied, you don't buy it. Unless something very extreme is discovered, trying to argue pass/fail after closing the deal will be a nightmare.

Only a Porsche dealer can offer CPO, and they cannot do it as a service; they have to own the car as inventory. With that said, if you have a very good relationship with your dealer, sometimes things can be done. If so, I would estimate $1K plus parts/labor for things repaired or replaced for CPO coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I purchased my car from a non-Porsche dealer.It still has factory Warranty left on it.I did take the car over too Niello Porsche and have it "checked out".It turned out that the car was originally purchased and serviced there.Needless too say it got a clean bill of health and a thumbs up.Can you find the service history on the car and at which dealer? If so take it in there...Like i said it appears not to be blue sky money and if it fits what you have been looking for make your deal and do some homework,as it appears you are.Have fun with it if all works out and look forward to some pics.One last note my car did have a couple of nickle and dime issues later and the warranty covered them.It is after all nuts and bolts,albeit a very good looking collection of them.......

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car is mine. :) Will post pics when the weather clears, and my impressions so far.

- Phil

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Well done! My CS is Seal Gray metalic - I think the Cayman in gray is stunning.

As far as ride height goes, I don't think there's much of difference between 18" and 19" wheels -- or else the speedo wouldn't be accurate.

but PASM lowers the car by 1 cm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts