Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.
New to the fourms and been thinking about buying a older porsche.
What are some things i should look for?
Should i stay away from a older model?

Im looking at a 2006 Cayman S with 11k miles.

looks pretty clean to me, i will be having a PPI done before buying it of course.

anything else i should worry about?

Used Porsche Cayman S 2006 For Sale Long Island NY - M02515T

here is a link to the car.

EDIT:
also found this.. its a 2007 cayman.. not a S but its a steal of a price it seems like.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/697089260/overview/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same here with the pics - and the confirmation of the car. I bought mine last year with 67,000 miles and use it primarily at the track. It's so much fun to drive and tinker with.

Get the PPI from a shop that knows Porsches - not the local jiffy lube. They'll know what issues to look for.

While it seems counterintuitive, the low miles would be my only concern. There are reports of garage queens having problems once actually driven. Search these forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
pics arn't working. cayman s is a great car.
carfax is a good start.
i always prefer to give a car an oil change before i buy. It will give you the chance to play in its blood and check for metal shavings.

I hear posche can also check to see if its been over-reved, but i'm no porsche dealer.
I would also opt for a cayman with some mileage. the 60-80,000 range is good should bring a good price too!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pics arn't working. cayman s is a great car.
carfax is a good start.
i always prefer to give a car an oil change before i buy. It will give you the chance to play in its blood and check for metal shavings.

I hear posche can also check to see if its been over-reved, but i'm no porsche dealer.
I would also opt for a cayman with some mileage. the 60-80,000 range is good should bring a good price too!
I have a friend at a porsche dealership that will look at it for me.. he works in the service department.. and the porsche was serviced there onces before as well..
the carfax shows the 10k miles on it as well oil changes and such.. seems like it checks out..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same here with the pics - and the confirmation of the car. I bought mine last year with 67,000 miles and use it primarily at the track. It's so much fun to drive and tinker with.

Get the PPI from a shop that knows Porsches - not the local jiffy lube. They'll know what issues to look for.

While it seems counterintuitive, the low miles would be my only concern. There are reports of garage queens having problems once actually driven. Search these forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup i got my guy from porsche to take a look at it, make sure everything is fine.
I heard the low mileage is more prone to the IMS issue.. that does concern me.. but at the same time i will have a 3rd party warranty to cover if that does happen..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Other than the IMS risk looks pretty clean! A few things to consider, the next model year (07) got a more powerful and larger engine. In my test drives, I felt it was a noticeable upgrade in power and made the car feel more fun. If you care about such things it might be worth seeking out an 07 to try and see if you care. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough to be noticeable. Also the auto in that car is not well loved it seems, I was shopping for a manual so I never drove an auto but it seems slower and less sporty than the PDK which didn't come around until 2009. Again, you may or may not be bothered by such things. The 2009 models also have an updated engine which resolves many of the problems previous models had, but they're going to cost you more (A nice reasonably low mile 09+ S will run you low to mid $30k range).

·
Registered
453 Posts
...A few things to consider, the next model year (07) got a more powerful and larger engine. In my test drives, I felt it was a noticeable upgrade in power and made the car feel more fun. If you care about such things it might be worth seeking out an 07 to try and see if you care. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough to be noticeable....
This must be a mix up - there is no difference in the Cayman S engines between 2006 and 2007 model years.
All 987.1 Cayman S (2006 to 2008) came with a 3.4 L 295hp engine.
While early 2006 models were equipped with the M96 engines (still 3.4L and 295hp) all late 2006 models and up got the M97 engine (also 3.4L 295hp).
No 2006 Cayman S with the 'old' M96 engine has been sold in the US. All 2006 US Cayman S were equipped with the M97 engine.

Reactions: IceT

·
Registered
95 Posts
This must be a mix up - there is no difference in the Cayman S engines between 2006 and 2007 model years.
All 987.1 Cayman S (2006 to 2008) came with a 3.4 L 295hp engine.
While early 2006 models were equipped with the M96 engines (still 3.4L and 295hp) all late 2006 models and up got the M97 engine (also 3.4L 295hp).
No 2006 Cayman S with the 'old' M96 engine has been sold in the US. All 2006 US Cayman S were equipped with the M97 engine.
Ah yeah strike that I was thinking boxsters, forgot they weren't equal back then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than the IMS risk looks pretty clean! A few things to consider, the next model year (07) got a more powerful and larger engine. In my test drives, I felt it was a noticeable upgrade in power and made the car feel more fun. If you care about such things it might be worth seeking out an 07 to try and see if you care. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough to be noticeable. Also the auto in that car is not well loved it seems, I was shopping for a manual so I never drove an auto but it seems slower and less sporty than the PDK which didn't come around until 2009. Again, you may or may not be bothered by such things. The 2009 models also have an updated engine which resolves many of the problems previous models had, but they're going to cost you more (A nice reasonably low mile 09+ S will run you low to mid $30k range).

yea the IMS is scary but its the risk!.. i did find a 2007 but its a cayman not a cayman S.. was looking at that as well.. i looked up to 35k and no 09.. i think ill stick to a 06-07 but just trying to find a nice one..
auto i can deal with.. living in NY i feel like it will be a pain in the *** to drive stick..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i think im goin to offer 25k for it.. see what they say.. figure id get a 3rd party warranty.. run me like 3k?
28k total.. im ok with that. would be a nice steal with low mileage.. just hope the IMS is fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stop worrying about the IMS. It's not a significant issue in 987 Caymans. I read a post by LN Engineering on facebook the other day and they said they've seen two in ten years. (LN if you see this and I'm misquoting you, please correct me).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stop worrying about the IMS. It's not a significant issue in 987 Caymans. I read a post by LN Engineering on facebook the other day and they said they've seen two in ten years. (LN if you see this and I'm misquoting you, please correct me).
ok ok haha

i just got quoted 6000 for a 4/48k mile warranty thoughts on this?
i also found a 2007 cayman with 40k miles think this is a good option?
its not a S so idk how i feel about the less horsepower.. but its a newer year.
sigh, im all over the place haha.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you can manage to do it, perhaps try spraying a stream of water from a hose against the door windows of the car before buying it. Some of these cars would let water leak down into the door, making the carpet on the lower door panel wet. The RH door on my '06 CS leaks a little, the LH door much worse.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I probably wouldn't worry about the IMS either. For me it was the combination of the IMS along with the other problems with the pre 2009 models that put me off, all of them may be low risk but there were quite a lot of possible issues. Granted none of them were as scary as the IMS and it is pretty low risk for a 2006+, but it can happen.

I would not go from the 06S to an 07 base, you'll notice it. However if you were to look at an 09+ base you might be happy enough. I test drove an 05S, an 07S and an 09 base and ended up buying the base. By my butt dino it felt about the same as the 05S and a little slower than the 07S (which in the boxster is the same engine the 06 Cayman S has), but not enough to bother me. I went the base route because the 2009 models seemed rock solid with almost no issues compared to the previous cars, plus it's a more recent car and there are some minor but very aesthetically pleasing interior updates.

·
Registered
895 Posts
This is the biggest bunch of hooey you will read all day. Didn't LN design/develop a solution for this rare problem? I know their solution plays on fear selling, but if it is so rare, there is really no need foe their solution, right?

I've seen enough Clist ads for cars that mention engine replacements (that never end up in a forum thread) to make me question percentages bandied about on the Interwebz.

gnarfle is spot on. Get an '09+. You'll sleep better at night.

Eddie

...I read a post by LN Engineering on facebook the other day and they said they've seen two in ten years...

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can manage to do it, perhaps try spraying a stream of water from a hose against the door windows of the car before buying it. Some of these cars would let water leak down into the door, making the carpet on the lower door panel wet. The RH door on my '06 CS leaks a little, the LH door much worse.
This is a common but easy fix by replacing the door membrane. Can do it by replacing the whole metal shield or you can make it a lot cheaper by removing the old stuff off the existing membrane and reapply a new rubber seal. Did mine last weekend in about 1:30 hours per side and about £15 in parts.

Reactions: IceT

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is the biggest bunch of hooey you will read all day. Didn't LN design/develop a solution for this rare problem? I know their solution plays on fear selling, but if it is so rare, there is really no need foe their solution, right?
<shrug> I'm sure if they thought there was any money to be made selling their kit for the M97 they wouldn't say such things. There are other things that can go wrong with an M97. People shouldn't let the IMS phobia prevent them from looking at a good car and/or ignore other issues they should be considering.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.