Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post here so be gentle. I'm in the market for a 2008-2009 prefer the s but may make due with a base. Here's my question I'm hoping someone can educate me on: Most every used Cayman I've looked at (and like) have 3 -4 -5 owners! Why so many owners if the car is so great? My 1st thought is that owners are shocked at maintenance costs? Not sure.

Very interested in hearing the reasons why - I'm about to pull the trigger but this has given me serious pause. Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It’s an 11-12 years old car that your looking at so people have probably bought it, liked it and traded up to something newer.

These are not crazy expensive to own, but they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s an 11-12 years old car that your looking at so people have probably bought it, liked it and traded up to something newer.

These are not crazy expensive to own, but they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Andy - I agree to some extent, 4-5 owners still seems excessive to me. Do you own a Cayman?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bear in mind a 2008 is different from a 2009. The first gen 987 is 2006-2008 and there are a lot around. 2nd gen 987 is 2009-2012 and they are much more difficult to find. Advantage of the 2nd gen is mainly in the improved engine (no IMS and the S engine is direct-injection) and PDK availability if interested. I bought a 7 year old single-owner 987 a few years ago, but I get the impression a lot of people want to own a Porsche once in their lives so keep them a short time before moving on. Best case buy from the person who bought it new so you can get the history, but tough to do on a 10+ year old car.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
One-owner cars - even 987.2s - are out there (just sold a 7-year-old 2012 CS we bought new). Be patient, and search daily at least on EVERY site, then move quickly when you find one that matches your criteria. Multiple owners up to 2, maybe 3 on a .1, wouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't settle for a used car without full documentation of maintenance from new.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I've owned 3 Boxsters - 986 9 yrs, 987.1 4 yrs, 981 4 yrs and 1 Cayman 987.1 4 yrs
No real favoritism here; just a constant flow of next. Only one was not a new buy. That one the 2004 BS I was the 4th buyer in 8 years. Only sold it because I came into some money and moved up to a Spyder; besides the 4 year itch had arrived.
Current car 1.5 months and always looking forward

top down 59 (2016_02_05 04_50_53 UTC).jpg photo 2 (2014_06_11 22_53_57 UTC).JPG IMG_0075 (2016_02_05 04_50_53 UTC).JPG IMG_0404 (2016_06_21 08_49_54 UTC).JPG

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
How do you figure that ? I think you're a little assumed
Heading says 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks Andy - I agree to some extent, 4-5 owners still seems excessive to me. Do you own a Cayman?
I have a 2013 Boxster S, but I've had it since new and am trading up to a 718 GT4. As others have said, there will be 1-2 owner cars out there if that's important. The key thing is maintenance and condition of the car. You can't guess what someone elses reason for selling was, there are many reasons that might not have anything to do with the car at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One-owner cars - even 987.2s - are out there (just sold a 7-year-old 2012 CS we bought new). Be patient, and search daily at least on EVERY site, then move quickly when you find one that matches your criteria. Multiple owners up to 2, maybe 3 on a .1, wouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't settle for a used car without full documentation of maintenance from new.
Great advise - I followed it to a “T” and landed a one owner 987.2 11CS and was fairly loaded and spotless. Patience pays.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Many Porsches started out life as leased cars. So 2 owners is not unusual. As was pointed out above, most folks who but an older Porsche, particularly as a first Pcar, begin to think of an upgrade or different as their knowledge and finances evolve. I'm the 4th owner of my near perfect 06CS.....the two earliest were long term owners and traded up. I have complete records, no overrevs above Range 1, and a ppi. I change oil at 5k intervals and get a Blackstone analysis. So I believe the number of owners is less critical than having good owners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agreed ! I am on my 4th Porsche since 2000 and now driving an 11 CS. What I can tell you is rather simple - driving a modern Porsche - 2000 and newer is not like driving a Toyota or a Honda but many times better ! Why ? Because the reliability is insanely good and the experience is beyond anything you can imagine. As for 3rd, 4th etc driver ... that’s easy to explain. Trading up, often these cars are seasonal pursuits, a moment of passion purchase, changing finances both good and bad and let’s face it driving a Porsche has no perceptive value as a daily practical driver unless your driving an SUV. Hence, it’s expected to see changes in ownership. One thing that remains constant - the driving experience is absolutely incredible ! Will also say that I have been surprised by just how reliable and bulletproof these cars really are ! Change the fluids, follow the maintenance schedule and drive it like you stole it ! Nothing has given me this much pleasure / good all around fun ... good luck and I hope you can join us all in a “permagrin” experience !

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
the key is to be patient and prioritise your key criteria - some go for colour or spec/options and some are more flexible.
get a pre-purchase inspection and service history is valuable too!

good luck!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Skorrch-If you live in the South or in moderate weather state, you can include the 08 S in your search, otherwise I would suggest you confine your search to 09 Base or S. The reason is bore scoring that can occur and even a good PPI will not pick it up. Jake Raby's (Flat 6 Motorsports) video series will give you the full story. That said, the pool for 06-08 Caymans are much greater than the 09-12's. Even though, Porsche made significant modifications to the engine's oiling system and direct injection on the S, removal of the IMS bearing and changing the piston, bore sleeves coatings to eliminate bore scoring, the car sales market took a dive during that time. So, very limited amounts of the later version cars were imported.

But, a daily search may uncover your dream. Just know that if you pick a 06-08 Cayman, use it in the higher temperature areas and change the oil every 6 months or so, you might put 100,000 miles on the engine without any ill effects. I would look for a low mileage 06-08 S with PASM, Sport Chrono and bucket seats (if you fit) as options. A clean PPI and records of frequent oil changes. Find the oil you want to use from Amazon or Walmart, like Mobil 1 FS brand 0W-40 , and change it like Jake suggests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1st post here so be gentle. I'm in the market for a 2008-2009 prefer the s but may make due with a base. Here's my question I'm hoping someone can educate me on: Most every used Cayman I've looked at (and like) have 3 -4 -5 owners! Why so many owners if the car is so great? My 1st thought is that owners are shocked at maintenance costs? Not sure.

Very interested in hearing the reasons why - I'm about to pull the trigger but this has given me serious pause. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Have owned my 987.2 base for 7 years. Best value out there for one of the best ever handling Porsches with PDK, Sports Chrono, and 9A1 engine. Very reliable and trouble free. If you find one in your price range hang onto it as many of us who bought one years ago did. Have had other Porsches but the Cayman has been the most fun of all Porsches for spirited drives on the back roads. I now prefer having two hands on the wheel too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have owned my 987.2 base for 7 years. Best value out there for one of the best ever handling Porsches with PDK, Sports Chrono, and 9A1 engine. Very reliable and trouble free. If you find one in your price range hang onto it as many of us who bought one years ago did. Have had other Porsches but the Cayman has been the most fun of all Porsches for spirited drives on the back roads. I now prefer having two hands on the wheel too.
Thanks for the feedback, since I'm new to Porsche how many miles is "too many" when buying a 2007 - 2009? I know maintenance records & ppi are key but to narrow things down I'm looking for the above with less than 60K - am I crazy?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I was wondering the same thing, many of these cars have multiple owners. I'm looking for a '14-'16 Cayman S, I've seen a lot of 2014 models for sale with anywhere from 3 to 5 owners. It's excessive compared to most cars. However, I did find a one owner 2014 Cayman S in Florida, but was too late. I agree with what others have said regarding being patient.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, since I'm new to Porsche how many miles is "too many" when buying a 2007 - 2009? I know maintenance records & ppi are key but to narrow things down I'm looking for the above with less than 60K - am I crazy?
Not at all. stick with the 9A1 engine in 09 and later years. Has shown to be a very durable engine. 2.9 liter base engine doesn’t have the DFI which could lead to carbon build up on the S model’s valves with high mileage cars. As always, price is relative to miles on the car.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Skorrch- Shoot for 50k in the 06-08 S model, 60k in the 09 base model. Even with more mileage the base 09 will be more expensive. One item that stands out is the PDK for 09 in the base along with Sports Chrono and PASM. The reason for these options are the aftermarket upgrade products that make the car even more of a true sports car. The PASM with the addition of TPC DSC, you can tune the suspension to your liking, changing the shock compression and rebound to suit your needs as you grow with the car. The same idea with Sports Chrono, by adding long tube headers and a more aggressive Cobb tune, you can change the PDK shifting points as well as how fast the exchange happens. The tune will take the Sports Chrono with the long tube headers to another level in HP and torque, especially the mid RPM range.

The 50k - 60k mileage will hopefully reduce your maintenance to oil changes, brake pads, spark plugs and filters. If your car is a 6 MT, then during the first 100k, most likely a clutch, water pump and shifter cables may fail. Happy searching.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two thoughts on the relative scarcity of low-owner models. 1. I think a fair number of buyers are motivated by the emotional draw of a fine two-seater sports car and only later realize that they are not the sport car types at heart. 2. These cars are relatively expensive when they are new and that may mean that the buyers are more affluent and more likely to trade-in a car for a newer one before too many years have passed. I was lucky enough to find a 4-year old 987.2 2010 Boxster with 5,000 miles and I've enjoyed it immensely in the years since. I expect my car to be a two-owner model for years to come!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts