Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a 911. I know I know, inferior platform. But I've been searching daily since the beginning of the year for a 987.2 with the options I'm looking for (most important being PDK, PASM, SC, Bi-x) and haven't found a single one that really fits. I'm thinking it is because production numbers on early 987.2s were so low. And it seems like PASM really went out of style in '09-'11. Would you guys agree? I had it on my '08 and LOVED it, so I don't want to go without it. But I haven't found a single PDK CS with PASM and SC combined, which I would think would've been a slam dunk with folks ordering new back then!

Anyway, many thanks for any opinions on this baby: https://hennessy.porschedealer.com/...+Racing+Green+Metallic/green/1221349/info.php (listing); https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4SM-wYAIagsdS1jbWx5TkhfNnM&usp=sharing (photos and service history).

Price seems really good and I can't find anything wrong with it!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That is a great price for a 2009 CPO C2S, some 2006 are listed higher. The exterior color is why it's probably listed so low. It's not a desirable color. But if you like it, that is all that matters. You'll love the 997.2, I haven't heard anyone moving from a Boxster to a 911 regretting the decision. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Price seems really good and I can't find anything wrong with it!
I'm going to agree with ynot about the price having to do with the green. I have seen green 911s but its not common.

As to your service records, two things:

1. I see nothing in there about brake bleeds. Maybe they include them under yearly maintenance but I doubt it. This car was put on the road 9/08. There should have been three brake bleeds done by now.

2. The second thing I see is that the services don't seem to match what is required. Minor Service is 2 years or 20,000 miles, Major service is 4 years or 40,000 miles. Each is "OR", whichever comes first. It's not "wait until the car gets 20,000 miles and then do a Minor Service". This car is almost 7 years old. It should have had done a Minor Service at 9/10, a major service at 9/12, and a minor service at 9/14. In between would be the oil changes, which I assume what the yearly maintenance means.

The 2 yr/20K service was done 3 years late. There is no such thing as a 30K service. By 9/12 a Major Service should have been done. Major Service can easily run $1,700 depending upon dealer location. Where is that done? Don't see it.

If it were me, I would inquire about the brake bleeds and the time of the minor and major services. I would never buy this car if the Major service has not been done.

Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for posting this in the wrong place, and thanks moderators for moving it!

Ynot, I LOVE the green! Bring on the green, especially if it causes better prices! I would love for that to be the reason of the low price and not some mechanical issue due to the neglected services that Chows4us mentioned.

Thanks for pointing that out, Chows4us. I will definitely have to get that resolved before thinking more about this car. If the dealership offered to comp the 40k service would that be a good solution? I guess I'm asking if you know of any long-term problems that could result from this situation? I know it's CPO but I'm really looking to buy something to keep for a long time.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Either way you are going to get the older body style and dated interior, older version mechanicals and a used car. If you are thinking of spending over $50K, why not spend an extra 10+ grand (and assuming good discount) and order a new 981 spec'ed the way you want it?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've looked closely at the 911s as well. Personally, I would hold out for a Type 991 platform 2012 and newer. Substaintially improved product. Lighter, quicker, much better handling. You should be able to find a base in the $67 - $77 range today. Good hunting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all required services (time or miles) have to be completed before the car can be certified. Nice!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out, Chows4us. I will definitely have to get that resolved before thinking more about this car. If the dealership offered to comp the 40k service would that be a good solution? I guess I'm asking if you know of any long-term problems that could result from this situation? I know it's CPO but I'm really looking to buy something to keep for a long time.
No, I do not. It's just something I would ask the dealer. I would want the major service done, regardless of the fact the car is CPOd.

That 997 is a 385HP, $100,000 car. It will be a bit rawer than a 991 and does not have PASM, PDCC, or PTV+ (not sure if 997 PDK cars had that as an option). But still, its a 911 and will always be a 911. That car has been driven about 4K miles/year, which is about the right number or a little low for a 911. Just look at the service dates and mileage. It's pretty consistently driven the same mileage each year.

If all checks out, it looks like a deal to me. I'm still thinking the racing green as something to do with it. Look up the black book avg retail price of a 2009 911 w/30K miles. Its ~$51,400. Looks like that price is good, especially since its CPO

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So funning to read BlueNorther comment. I am thinking the opposite. For $50k I could have bought this car and had an asset that depreciated much slower and would start to appreciate soon. Instead, I ordered a $86k Cayman S. I love my car, but this car is a very good deal if it checks out.

Either way you are going to get the older body style and dated interior, older version mechanicals and a used car. If you are thinking of spending over $50K, why not spend an extra 10+ grand (and assuming good discount) and order a new 981 spec'ed the way you want it?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Here's a 987.2 Cayman that has all your "wants" except SC (which can be added)...PDK, PASM, Bi-x (with cornering). At 64,000 km it's just shy of 40,000 miles, and asking price of $46,900 Can. is $37,587 U.S. Bonus is it's a CPO. At the Porsche dealer in Oakville, Ontario.

Cayman.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for all the thoughts and insights everyone!
BlueNorther, I am one of those rare folks who actually prefers the look of the 987 to that of the 981! So I am not really in the market for a brand new Cayman S.

Matttheboatman, I'm already stretching my budget thinking about a used 997, so a 991 is not really an option for me.

Scayden, I hope you're right! but I'm gonna make sure and verify that the major has been done.

Chows4us, thanks for weighing in again! The rawness of the 997 is what really attracts me to it actually. It is GT capable and can even fit a baby seat in the back but still has some pure sports car in it too. This green one does actually have PASM but I don't think they listed it on the options list because it was standard on the C2S. But you're right it doesn't have any of the other high speed performance tech that the 991 and 981 have, and I'm very okay with that. It has hydraulic steering, which I really enjoy and am overall just super fascinated with! Thanks for checking out to the cosistency of the annual mileage. I hadn't thought to do that and I know that long term health for porsches depends a lot on consistent driving. Great insight!

Kindrunnermike, your comment was hilarious! Yes you could've bought a used car but your blue 981 is stunning!

Gcurnew, your idea is very interesting...would you happen to know what kind of costs go into importing a car from Canada?

Another question for anyone still reading...can prospective buyers still haggle aggressively with cars that are already priced really fairly? This green 997 for example has only been at Hennessey for a few days, so there's no argument for them needing to move it right away. And the asking price with the CPO is right at where edmunds and the black book say it should be without the warranty. I've used edmunds on all my previous car puchases, and every time I've used it the appraisal has been almost laughably low. So finding a car that seems like a great deal even according to edmunds is really throwing me off! But the thing is... Even at only $52k it is really really stretching my budget. So a discount would be amazing!!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Another question for anyone still reading...can prospective buyers still haggle aggressively with cars that are already priced really fairly? This green 997 for example has only been at Hennessey for a few days, so there's no argument for them needing to move it right away. And the asking price with the CPO is right at where edmunds and the black book say it should be without the warranty. I've used edmunds on all my previous car puchases, and every time I've used it the appraisal has been almost laughably low. So finding a car that seems like a great deal even according to edmunds is really throwing me off! But the thing is... Even at only $52k it is really really stretching my budget. So a discount would be amazing!!
Why wouldn't you? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Gcurnew, your idea is very interesting...would you happen to know what kind of costs go into importing a car from Canada?

Every car is negotiable, unless it's a rare collectable. Even when it have the no haggle price on it. The worst that can happens is they say no and you buy it at listed price. 997's are reliable cars, just make sure to spend the $200 or so to get a PPI, yes even when it's CPO'ed. You never know what problems might pop up since it was CPO'ed. Then buy an extended warranty if you are worried. Mine has been out of warranty for a couple of years now and I am not worry about it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am one of those rare folks who actually prefers the look of the 987 to that of the 981!
Oh I don't think you are that rare. The 987.1 is the best looking Cayman. The platform has improved mechanically every generation for sure, but the looks have done the opposite. It's still a good looking car, but those 987.1 cars. Man it's like the difference between air brushed model and regular photos. The 911 was the regular photo and the 987.1 was the air brushed super model good looking version of the 911 shape.

The 991s to me take some of the good looks of those early Caymans and the Cayman is growing into its own distinct look from the 911 now. Sort of like an older sister telling her attractive younger sister she needs to die her hair and not wear her clothes.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Fbaum

Another question for anyone still reading...can prospective buyers still haggle aggressively with cars that are already priced really fairly? This green 997 for example has only been at Hennessey for a few days, so there's no argument for them needing to move it right away. And the asking price with the CPO
is right at where edmunds and the black book say it should be without the warranty. I've used edmunds on all my previous car puchases, and every time I've used it the appraisal has been almost laughably low. So finding a car that seems like a great deal even according to edmunds is really throwing me off! But the thing is... Even at only $52k it is really really stretching my budget. So a discount would be amazing!!

Why wouldn't you? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
The only time to NOT negotiate is when you are buying your better half some really good jewelry and she is standing there with you. ;)

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Agree with every one else. The most the can do is say "no".

I also agree the 987 Cayman looks much better than the 981 Cayman, do to the swoopy look. The 981CS is much harsher or harder lines. However, I think the opposite for the 987 vs 981BS. I think the 981 boxsters look better than the 987 Boxsters.

BTW, every day that car sits in their lot, it costs them money. So they do have an incentive to sell it.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I also agree the 987 Cayman looks much better than the 981 Cayman, do to the swoopy look. The 981CS is much harsher or harder lines. However, I think the opposite for the 987 vs 981BS. I think the 981 boxsters look better than the 987 Boxsters.
Agree 100%. And it's a view i've heard expressed fairly frequently.

Reactions: BadaBing373

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Costs are not onerous. The most significant is the 2.5% duty (Canadians pay 6% duty to bring a car not built in the U.S. up to Canada.) You'd have to pay the 5% federal sales tax (GST) but it's refundable.

Importing from Canada » ezbordercrossing.com

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Agree with every one else. The most the can do is say "no".

Agree as well. BTW, Fbaum, I literally live a few minutes away from the Porsche Oakville dealership where I get my CS serviced. They know me well there. One of the technicians is also a client of mine (he owns a 986 Boxster). If you want me to go take a look at the car gcurnew mentioned, let me know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts