Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Should I move to a 911 or stay with my Cayman?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Cayman

Votes: 6 66.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a pretty 2014 911S Cabriolet that I am considering. However I think I will miss my Cayman. Such a hard decision. The 911 has a much bigger engine than my base 981, but mine will do 164 if pushed. How much is really needed if not tracking. Also not sure if I like the big hump on the back of the 911. But a convertible would be a fun change. I'd also lose a lot of storage space so that's another consideration.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My pal went from a Boxster S to a 911. I drove a very nice one with 30 K on it pre spyder. One thing I would ask you is what is your objective? It sounds like speed is a consideration so to address does your car have enough "Go" ? My answer is not only plenty but more fun. Why do I say that? The new Spyder editions have eye popping HP and Torque. I like mine because I can use the RPM band and to me that's where the fun and great noises are and even in mine warp nine comes fast captain. Zip, zip oh I'm already at 80? You can do that in any of our cars so for me a 911 desire would have to wellspring from tradition, legacy, bucket list area of desire. Two trunks is an outstanding feature. Also, you can use the car you have more without the drag of a higher note and even tune it should you feel the need to go that route. Having said all that? A 911 is certainly a fine choice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really is the question isn't it. I'm not sure. If I'm honest I think the Cayman looks and handles better. And everyone in my family that I show the picture to tells me that the Cayman is better looking. A convertible would be nice on many occasions. But there seems to be natural progression from Caymans and Boxsters to 911s. Probably just the Porsche marketing machine and podcasts getting to me mostly, lol.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm not much of a convertible person, but I would swap my cayman for a few 911s. Of course, I'd also swap for a GT4, too. This might sound dumb, b/c I know the reasons, but the cayman does feel small to me and wouldn't mind some extra space.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
That really is the question isn't it. I'm not sure. If I'm honest I think the Cayman looks and handles better. And everyone in my family that I show the picture to tells me that the Cayman is better looking. A convertible would be nice on many occasions. But there seems to be natural progression from Caymans and Boxsters to 911s. Probably just the Porsche marketing machine and podcasts getting to me mostly, lol.
It sounds like you may already know the answer deep down, but just wanted a few friends to tell you that you are right :) I get it, and sometimes we're just looking for something different to bring back some of the excitement that has faded over time on what we have currently. That's great as well, and the other choice doesnt necessarily have to be "better" but just different if this is the case.

I typically will look for a project to get some of that excitement back, like a mod of some sort, or possibly change the color with a wrap or whatever to get that new feeling again. In the end its much cheaper than trading out, and will give your brain the time it needs to to look back and realize if you made the right choice or not rather than in the heat of the moment. Different doesnt need to be better. Sometime different is all that is needed to scratch that itch, and could be a different car, or simply a different look on the one you have. Only you can make that decision.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My first question is why you aren't considering a Boxster S or GTS if you want a convertible with more performance than the car you currently own. The 911S will be faster than either of these, but I would suggest driving the Boxsters and seeing the difference. It's a huge jump in performance. When I test drove numerous cars prior to purchase the base car seemed pretty 'ho-hum'. The S I own scares me sometimes. I've pulled myself up on numerous occasions and said "don't kill yourself", while driving my car. It's more car than I will ever be driver.

If maintainability is a consideration, a Boxster is most likely going to be a better choice. Having owned convertibles for a long time, roof failures are a common complaint. The Boxster roof is stunningly simple, and all electric. The 911, having a larger roof is far more elaborate and also hydraulic, which makes the chance of failure for an ageing car much higher. Also, being a larger roof there will be more movement/squeaks etc. Having one window on each side rather than two stops movement between the two panes, with associated rattles over bumps and extra squeaks. Sealing a large convertible roof with two window panes is a hard problem. Straight out of the factory fine, but as the car ages it's a constant task of chasing noise, hydraulic leaks, etc.

Having the engine jammed down the back of the car surrounded by exhaust would make maintenance more difficult in my opinion.

Internal size is identical on both, except for the lack of rear seats. Up front there's no difference, as they are the same parts. The only parts that are different in a Boxster are the dashboard/vent shapes and the instrument cluster. Pretty much everything else is a 991 part. I'm pretty sure you will miss the extra luggage space. I find the Boxster to be a surprisingly practical car considering it only has two seats.

The Boxster will drive better. It's lighter and mid engined. As much as the Porsche PR machine will tell you otherwise, this setup will always drive better. There is a good reason why the latest Cayman GT4RS is being heralded by many as the best Porsche ever built. Basic physics.

If driver kudos is part of the equation, then the 911 is going to be the better choice. The Cayman/Boxster will always be seen as the "poor man's" Porsche. Loads of people purchase a 911 simply because they want to be seen driving an iconic car that is considered a serious mark of success. As much as we don't like to admit it, this is a part of why a lot of us buy these cars. I'm no different. For some this is a big part, some not so much. Clearly the 911 wins in this department.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Correct answer: Boxster GTS :) Better looking than a 911 cab in my opinion, all the frills of open roof motoring, plenty of go and no real downsides compared to a 991.1.

If I was looking to move to a 911 just to try something different / new as someone had commented, I would probably consider a 997 or 991.2 generation car. The 991.1 is just too close to our cars when it comes to interior and tech, so I wouldn’t feel I am making that significant of a change. But the right answer is whatever your heart desires, clearly.

·
Registered
911 Carrera GTS cabriolet (991.2)
17 Posts
Having just 'upgraded' from a 982 Boxster S to a 991.2 GTS cabriolet, IMO the 911 is better in many ways.

After signing the deal to buy the 911, I had a few bouts of "do I really need it?" (it was 2x the price of the Boxster). I also spent a few days looking lovingly at the soon to be departed Boxster, thinking what a great looking car. But after a few weeks of 911 ownership, I have no regrets.

If you are worried about rear-engined handling, that is not a 911's weak point. In a straight line or around corners, the 911 feels much more planted than the 982.

That looks like a great vehicle in the picture. If you can afford it, do it.

·
Registered
911 Carrera GTS cabriolet (991.2)
17 Posts
"Internal size is identical on both"
The cabin space in the 911 seems bigger, although I have not measured it.

"Up front there's no difference, as they are the same parts. The only parts that are different in a Boxster are the dashboard/vent shapes and the instrument cluster. Pretty much everything else is a 991 part"
There are many differences between a 981 and 991. Even though much of the instruments and controls may look the same between the 991.2 and the 982, they are different. The 4 analogue gauges are much better, leaving the MFD for full time TPMS, map, music. The PCM 4 may look the same, but the 911 has a higher HW version and has a few nicer features (not GTS related).

"I'm pretty sure you will miss the extra luggage space. I find the Boxster to be a surprisingly practical car considering it only has two seats."
The rear seat space holds significantly more luggage than the 981/982 rear trunk.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
114 Posts
If I were comparing a Cayman to a 911, I would throw the GT4/Spyder into the mix as well. After all, the GT4/Spyder can be had for about the price of a 911 and will have similar performance numbers going straight while perhaps outdoing a 911 base or S on the turns.

The 911 cab would be a far better touring car than a Spyder because of the more rugged top, but the Spyder would be better with top down. And my guess is the Spyder would hold value better.

just some thoughts. You can’t go wrong with any of the choices. And going through the exercise is fun too. 🏎🏎

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S, Aqua Blue Metallic over Agate/Pebble Gray
28 Posts
One of the main reasons I opted for Boxster over 911 (I found a great 981 Boxster S) is the practicality of the Boxster, which has a trunk and a frunk, so you have a lot of secure storage, unlike the 911 in which you really only get the frunk plus the rear “seat.” That was an especially important to me in a ”summer” car because I can get my golf clubs in the trunk of my Boxster. The idea of driving with them on the back seat of a cabriolet, which is an invitation for someone to slash through the roof to steal them, frightened me. And the bonus is you can get away for a weekend or a few days still have room for plenty of stuff.

I can’t speak to merits of GTS or Spyder (way out of my range) , but I love my Boxster, and although the 911 has more oomph, the 981 Boxster S is plenty of fun for me and makes all the right noises. It is also probably easier to drive quickly with the engine in front of the rear axle and no snap oversteer to worry about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It depends what you are looking for..but here's my story see if helps any bit
we owned a base, lightly optioned 981 boxster for 6 years (our first porsche), been bulletproof, has good storage, cheap to run and upkeep, sounds awesome and very flatsix. When the world shut down in early 2020, we sold the 981 for pennies since we dont have to work anymore and the car was just sitting. A few weeks later we got a pretty high spec 14 C2S cab (136 msrp) for 60k, thinking we are ready to "grow up". We were shockingly disappointed, it sounded horrible (very bassy with the OEM sports exhaust), handling is subpar (it felt heavy in the canyons and bounces around in a very unsettling way) and gas mileage was way worse. The car was a cpo car with only 14k miles, I had the suspension and everything checked and dealer said it was behaving what it's supposed to. The only pro was that the burmester was a huge step up over the sound pk plus and much less cabin turbulence with the rear wind deflector up. The full natural leather was also very nice, and creature comforts like cooling seats, memory seats, entry n drive etc. was all a plus over our base 2.7, but we had no fun driving that car, the performance was completely lacking despite a rated 400hp engine.
So I thought ok, the 911 is much heavier so perhaps it's time to step up to a turboed version, so we sold the 991.1 for a profit (due to the escalating market) and moved into a 991.2 c2s 6 months later. This time it didnt feel slow with all that torque, and car felt more refined and the same problem still kinda remained: there's even less sound this time in the low rev range (even tho the bassy-ness of the 3.8 was gone) and while the car was fast, the handling in the canyons still felt somewhat unsettling so you dont dare to push it as hard. This was when the 911 started to strike me as a nice luxury street car that's fast, but it lost that bit of simple sportiness that can be felt in a base 981. So we sold the c2s (again for a profit because of the market craziness) and went back to a midengine platform this time trying a well spec 21 718 boxster gts (118k sticker, and no we didnt feel like spending 30k above sticker for a spyder), and all was well. The agility is back and this time with a bigger engine, it was almost perfect except...the sound quality was gone. While the induction noise sounded somewhat familiar as a porsche, the exhaust tone sounded terrible with the top down (not the volume, it's much louder than 911s simply because how close u sit to the engine). There's almost no burbles or bangs. I have yet to find time to experiment with OAP and diff exhaust setups, which I will definitely do in the future. We shouldnt have sold the 981 for 30k lol...it's prob the biggest mistake ever. Should we have kept it, it's probably worth the same or more and it will remain to be a great daily. To me if you like to try a convertible, I would stay with the boxster vs a cab or targa. It's a convertible that has little to no penalty vs the cayman (either in performance, weight or prices) and after my two trials with your typical 911s, much more fun to drive. I think a 981 gts might be the best balance since it's the best of 981 and cost much less than the 718 4.0 and sounds awesome right out from factory.The only reason I didnt get one is because I couldnt find one...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, for me, the only motivation towards a 911 is heritage and prestige. Since I can’t be loyal to a brand it doesn’t matter to me. My next car is most likely going to be a corvette.

If Toyota brings the MR2 back I’ll consider it.

No doubt the Porsche history and reputation was a big part of why i’m in a cayman, but it’s just my gateway into mid engine.

As for rear engine there’s a reason nobody else does it and Porsche have to keep engineering away the pitfalls of that design with each generation. Anyway I would try it if i really wanted to learn the unique aspects of the design and its handling. It’s unique. I’m not sure I would ever get to that level though.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Mountaineer 84, there is no wrong answer. Try it. Only you can decide if it's right for you. Try them all if you can. I've owned 7 Porsches since my 1st (a ’64 356C) in 1970...#2 was a ’72 914. #3 was a late model (CIS) '73 911T #4 was my favorite, an early '63 356SC …bought it in 1977 with 110k mi on it and drove it daily here in Silicon Valley for 30 yrs, adding an additional 305k mi... Yes, it had a rebuild and full restoration in the late ‘80s so I bought # 5 to drive temporarily… an ’86 911SC Targa. (Gave it to my oldest son) In 2006 with 415k mi on it, I sold the 356SC it for a lot more than I paid for it and bought #6, a 2007 Cayman S. I now have #7, the 2014 981S and it will the car from which I will last place my foot on an accelerator pedal. For me, it is the epitome of everything Porsche.

Of the 7, the only one I didn't like was #2, the 914. The fixed position seat was very uncomfortable and the car very underpowered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I traded a 2015 Cayman 6 speed for a 2014 911 Carrera. The primary reason for the trade was the fact that the clutch in the Cayman was playing hell with my left knee and ankle due to old injuries. Secondary reason was the cachet of owning the iconic 911 - I always wanted one but bought the Cayman for budgetary reasons. Having owned and driven both here's my impression in no particular order (others may differ, to each his own):

1. The Cayman definitely handles better than the 911. There's just nothing like a mid-engine when pushing hard on a twisty road. While I doubt I ever pushed the 911 hard enough to even come close to breaking the rear end loose, several times it sure felt like it was on the verge. You can definitely feel the extra weight in the rear.
2. The Cayman has more trunk/frunk space than the 911. The back seats in the 911 are useful if you're a double amputee, but that's about it. As a daily driver, getting groceries in and out of the back seat of the 911 was a chore where as the Cayman frunk/trunk made it a piece of cake.
3. To my eye, the Cayman is a better looking car. Others may disagree, that's OK.
4. The PDK transmission in the 911 was awesome. Beat the hell out of the manual in the Cayman. I didn't have the Sport Chrono in either but rev matching in the Cayman would have helped with down shifts...
5. The swing out cup holders in the Cayman sucked.
6. The Cayman ate tires faster than the 911. Not sure why as I drove both of them about the same.
7. With more horsepower, the 911 was faster than the Cayman, but both were more than enough for the non-track driving I do.
8. If I had it to do over again I would have (a) originally bought a Cayman with a PDK, probably a Cayman S to get the extra horsepower or (b) once I realized my knee/ankle limitations, traded the 6 speed Cayman for a Cayman S with PDK rather than the 911.

For what it's worth, I finally realized that with my knee issues the 911 was really just too low to the ground to comfortably climb out of as a daily driver. So, I recently traded for a loaded 2018 Macan GTS. It doesn't have the pizazz of the 911 or the Cayman but handling is amazing especially with PTV+, it's more comfortable than either and it seems as fast if not faster than the 911, with great storage in the back end. I got a feeling I'll hang on to this one for a while. It's not only comfortable and practical but above all else, it's a Porsche, with all the performance and engineering excellence that entails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me it's a no brainer, 911 all the way. You have the opportunity to own the flagship Porsche, I would not hesitate if you change your mind send me the link to the 911 it's a nice one. :p Not sure what the asking price is for that 911 But honestly the market right now is way out of control prices too high on the used market especially 911's.

·
Registered
2015 Boxster GTS
196 Posts
I also went from a Cayman S to a Carrara S. The Cayman was my first Porsche and the first generation Cayman. I absolutely loved that car and it was a really attention getter on the streets due to the fresh design- which was a new experience to me. The 911 was my dream car and I made the move to a new 2009 911 S with first gen PDK. As great and beautiful the 911 was, it lacked the turn-on-a-dime balance (aka polar moment of inertia) and the everyday utility of the Cayman. Long story short, I now have a 2015 Boxster GTS. Amazing car.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have only owned 911s, but friends have Boxsters and Caymans. I like the 911 because I do a lot of touring, Porsche Parades, Treffens, and local mountain driving. The back seats(foldable) allow me to access my luggage, cooler, etc. without stopping the car to unload the trunks. The engine in back is also more to my liking.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts