Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first off- I absolutely love the car and don't "want" to get rid of it. This is an amazing vehicle and has provided me with several thousand miles of trouble free happy motoring. The only money I've put into it was a DIY oil change which was not only very easy, but fun and not terribly expensive.

However, I'm now working in a job where I am mostly traveling (consulting), and even when I'm not I commute to work via Metro. When I bought the Cayman, I was commuting in it. At this point, and for the foreseeable future, a car is absolutely not a necessity, and I'm only driving it at most a couple of times a month. Lately I've even left it with my dad for 2-3 weeks at a time so he can drive it, so that the motor sees some use. This wouldn't necessarily be an issue if I were older, owned a home, etc- but I'm 24 and while the money situation is OK, a little extra never hurts and it doesn't feel right to have a relatively large car payment on such an amazing car that I never have a chance to use.

So please, talk me into or out of selling this car. There's no doubt in my mind that regardless of what I do with this Cayman, I'll be back into a Porsche before too long- these cars are just too goddamn good to not own. If I sell, I'd like to get around 25.5-26k which seems reasonable based on looking at market.

Oh and the car:

-2008 Cayman 2.7L
-Black on black
-5 speed
-58,400 miles
-Bought from Brumos, then made its way to VA in 2013. Dealer maintained until I bought with 48k miles from Porsche Arlington
-Preferred package (heated seats, auto climate, rain-sensing wipers, sound package+)
-18" Cayman S 5-spokes, no scratches/curbing
-GT3RS shift knob/boot, alcantara steering wheel
-Partially electric seats
-Michelin PSSs put on by dealer when I bought at 48k miles along with minor service completed
-Paint 8 or 9/10
-One TPMS sensor battery dead, system not working
-Oil changed at 57k with Liqui Moly 5w40 full synth

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Caymans are a lifestyle vehicle and people's lifestyles constantly change. You're making a mature decision and there's nothing wrong with considering selling your Cayman with where you are in life. Based on what you've laid out, it's probably the right decision to sell. You'll never get more for your Cayman if you sell it now vs waiting another 6-12 mo and you're heading into sports car season so now is a good time to get it ready to sell. Both points in your favor. I think you have a realistic value set and you should be able to get somewhere in that range.

Now some tips to help you sell...

Get the TPMS figured out. People don't want to be greeted with problems, even minor ones when they're spending $25K+. If there are minor issues not addressed, what else is lurking? Changing out all 4 sensors will cost approx $500. You could probably raise your price $250 because of the new TPMS, but you can also use that as a selling pt that they've been replaced.

Take some time and clean it thoroughly. Clay bar and wax it - get it looking really shiny. Then take lots of pics. I never understand people who photo their car when it's a mess. Take pics of the center console stack, as that's a way to identify what options are there (SC, heated seats, auto climate cntrl, PASM, full leather, nav, etc.) - lots of info from a center stack pic. Also start the car, buckle up, and take a pic of the dash to show there are no warning lights on (see above about TPMS). Since your tires are relatively new, take a pic of the tread depth. You don't mention if you have 2 keys and manuals, but those 2 things help. Then take your time beforehand and write up a well thought out description that you can paste when you're ready to build the ad. This gives you a chance to add / adjust things before you commit to an ad.

And be careful. There are some unscrupulous people out there. I've sold lots of cars and haven't had any issues but 1 bad incident will travel a long ways across the Internet. Use your instincts. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Reactions: Boiler Inspector

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Agree with Husker re: TPMS and any other small issues - definitely get them fixed before listing. One thought, and as a Noob it's a question - when we retire or rotate at Costco they offer to rebuild the TPMS for a small price, is this not an option for Porsche TPMS units? Don't know.

As a buyer I waded into CL\Cargurus\Autotrader and found several candidates and painfully waited (BS was a definite WANT but not a MUST HAVE NOW) until after Labor Day. 2 of 3 finalists were still available, contacted both sellers, both were able to get me Porsche Service Documents and didn't mind me asking for PPI. So have as much documentation available as possible, and even though seasoned buyers consider CARFAX useless it's cheap for you to run and combined with dealer service records makes for a good basis to substantiate selling price.

As for pricing, you can get a good idea of what folks are asking by perusing CG and AT, as a buyer I looked at KBB and NADA and realized any decent Pcar for sale will carry a Porsche Premium. That Premium is variable in my eyes, low mileage excellent condition vehicles carry higher premiums but deserve to (even a moderately intelligent buyer understands this, if they don't it's not worth engaging with them - they'll eventually figure it out).

One other option might be consignment at a dealer - I don't know what Porsche Arlington thinks of the idea but (especially if you travel) it's a no-hassle way to maximize exposure. You'll lose a little $$$ to do it but it might be worth it as they will probably get as much or more than you will for the car. Plus PPI available on site.

Lastly, +1 on getting your car IMMACULATE - that will ensure you get top dollar, even if you spend to have the paint clayed/polished/waxed and interior scrubbed until it glistens it will return max money to you.

GLWS, they'll always be another perfect car out there for you!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
+1 on running a CarFax. It will help you avoid surprises. I bought a flip car off ebay partly based on the miniscule clean AutoCheck report. I advertised it as clean and someone here on P-9 asked for the VIN to run a CarFax. He got back to me to inform me there was an accident reported on it. I can spot a repaint 10 ft away so this was a very quality repair to the bumper that I missed. My mistake and I haven't made it again. Older cars can have minor issues, just be sure they don't surprise you when selling.

In my Wheeler-Dealer mode, I've found the value 1/2 way between NADA Full Retail and Clean Trade In is the sweetspot where I can maximize my price and entice someone to look at a private party sale. Once again, I think you're in the ballpark with your est value.

I've thought about a consigner from time to time, but the thought of Ferris Bueller's parking attendant comes to mind. As cramje points out, it may be a good option for you but be sure to work out all the details.

The TPMS sensors Porsche uses are a combination sensor and valve stem. Once the battery dies, the whole unit needs to be replaced. If one dies, others are sure to follow. They generally last 4-6 yrs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents. I've emailed my local non-dealership Porsche guy about getting the TPMS sorted out, I think that's a logical step. He does mostly air-cooled cars but works on water cars also; I've spoken with him a couple of times at cars and coffee. The system hasn't worked since I bought the car and I just frankly don't care, but I can see how many buyers would.

I still have the carfax from when I bought the car and have kept any relevant documents. The service advisor at the dealer from whom I bought the car would not give me a full print out of the previous owners' records, but showed me on-screen the service history. I'm not sure of any way to get a hard copy to show to any potential buyers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
To talk you out of it, do you use the car at all? If you need a car for pleasure, are you going to rent or borrow? I would avoid getting rid of it, if possible. If you decide to sell, are you in hurry? You could try selling it to a euro used car dealer or to the local Porsche dealer. You will not get top dollar but it is a painless way of selling. At work, do you have a classified for personal sales? I would try that also. You would at least know your tire kickers will have an income and may not be criminals. I hate selling cars especially sports cars with a manual. Every tire kicker in a 5 mile radius will show up for a test drive and very little know how to drive a manual. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Clean it so it looks like new, get all documentation and service history into a nice binder, price it right, take and post a zillion high quality shots (if you're no good with a camera, find someone who is), sell the car's attributes (and your care for it) with some thoughtful copy to go along with the photos, don't BS (even a little) online or in discussion on the phone...and if you don't like a potential buyer or his/her attitude tell them the car is not for sale to them. Life's too short to play games with tire kickers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks gents. I've emailed my local non-dealership Porsche guy about getting the TPMS sorted out, I think that's a logical step. He does mostly air-cooled cars but works on water cars also; I've spoken with him a couple of times at cars and coffee. The system hasn't worked since I bought the car and I just frankly don't care, but I can see how many buyers would.

I still have the carfax from when I bought the car and have kept any relevant documents. The service advisor at the dealer from whom I bought the car would not give me a full print out of the previous owners' records, but showed me on-screen the service history. I'm not sure of any way to get a hard copy to show to any potential buyers.
Ask the SA if he will print out the service history and cut off the prior owners name. There seems to be a Porsche privacy policy which makes an SA hesitant to just print it off and hand it to you with the prior owners name on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
All good tips to know, as I am selling my car in a few months time (its a forced sale due to relocation). Thanks. I will probably CarMax it or advertise it through a local Porsche garage.

For the threadstarter, I picked up the fact that you are still making payments on it, which suggests loan interest on top of basic depreciation. Add on the fact you have to keep it insured and registered. It is an expense for which you are deriving relatively little benefit, essentially throwing money away. I'd say just do it, you can buy another one down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts