Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of jumping ship from 1-series to Cayman but living in Texas means the a/c has to be up to snuff. The 1er and my previous Cooper S had great a/c. How does the Cayman compare?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Works fine (I also used to have a Mini, and we get some 100+ F days in the summer around here too) - of course it is a fairly small cabin to cool. I find that tinting the windows helps quite a bit also.

Welcome to the club . . . :cheers:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
we dont get texas heat in joisey but ya cant keep it on the coldest setting here...it gets too cold

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
The AC works great. It gets hot here in NC with a lot of humidity and I'm comfortable.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I survived in Houston, TX four full summers with Boxster S. Perceived A/C performance was on par or better than 3-series BMW.

Basically almost any pre-90's European vehicle had inferior A/C when compared to domestic products. In Europe A/C wasn't seen as important feature as in US.

So, you can forget all old traumas about Porsche A/C, you will be cool in 987!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Seat ventilation is a nice option too. Became available in 09. It only comes with auto climate control and the ventilation is not available on all seat choices. I'm in a tropical climate (Malaysia) and have an 09 Cayman with auto ac and the standard manual vented seats and have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
When I bought my car, drove my car from Tucson to LA in July. Stopped to get gas at about noon. It was 110 outside, but I never knew it. A/C is excellant. Don't worry about the A/C.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i've lived through 2-1/2 years in hawaii and have been very comfortable (i use the a/c everyday...whether its june/july or dec/jan).

·
Registered
205 Posts
I live in Florida and I think that the ac is pretty good. I had a 335 before and thought that that ac was the AWEFUL. The best ac of any car I've ever had is my wife's G37. Even if it's 90 and humid you would still think that you're driving around in a meat locker. Truly amazing.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
For some cars in the Middle East there is a GCC spec which increases the capacity or certain parts to cope with the heat but I don't think Porsche change anything and I've found even with temps of over 120F I've had no complaints with the AC on the CS....and the coolant temp never moves from the middle.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I had a Boxster S for a couple of years, and there were no issues at all, even with a black top.

Buy that Cayman. You will be very happy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Porsche's AC keeps the Cayman plenty cool for me and I'm in Southeast Tx, down near the coast where it can be 100 degrees and 75% humidity. You'll be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts