Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a fuel sender replaced in the hope of remedying this problem.

Three times now I've had a reading of "133 miles left in tank" and *flump* the engine dies in the middle of a motorway.

First time I got lucky, managed to restart and roll, just up to the petrol station. It was in France. Thought it was bad fuel, so put another brand in. Ran fine.

Second time, I had it towed, this is when we realised it was running out of fuel as it took 50 or so litres.

Third time, I ran it low to test the new fuel sender. And had to get a refill on the side of the motorway! Not the smartest idea, in hindsight, but harmless.

So - it seems my fuel sender is over reading, or my computer is configured to read from a much bigger petrol tank.

Has anyone had this? How can I fix??

much thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Until this is resolved I would fill up the tank after each 150 miles of driving - no matter what the fuel gauge says.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hopefully you can get this fixed. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel and the lack of it may damage the fuel pump. My vote is a bad fuel level sensor. Search for repair threads here or at Cayman Register if you are into DIY.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
What does the fuel gauge indicate? Is it also indicating more fuel left than actually is the case?

Side observation:
Assuming you drive normally, and should be getting at least 24mpg or 1L/10km, wouldn't most people react if you have been driving say 500km and most likely would have spent the 50L in the tank? Point is - I never trust the D.T.E reading, I always go by the trip meter. Reset it after each fill up and know it's time to re-fuel when it reads 400-ish km. Running it to empty over and over again just because D.T.E says something is just acting stupid to be honest. Sorry for being blunt. No offense meant. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense taken!

The fuel gauge (not the predictive ODO) reads 1/4 full, when it zonks out.

The low fuel light doesn't come on. There are no warnings.

I've just had the fuel sender sensor replaced and the old one tested (which wasn't working). This is why I tried running it low, to see if it went lower than the old one.

I'm confused - could it be a software setting, the ECU thinking the fuel tank is larger than it is?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts