Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's cheap because it is very unlikely that they tested those mufflers for flow performance. They were probably pulled from a parts bin and slapped on there to minimize drone while still fitting within the limited space. It's entirely possible this setup could flow worse than factory.

It's also unlikely that this has been approved for emissions requirements. Not that most states or countries care too much about catbacks, but that's an added cost for quality exhausts. This is likely sold "for off road use only," to get around that.

Just want more sound? Slap it on and you'll probably be happy.
But if want something that is engineered for performance, then you'll need to pay for that engineering.

It's also worth noting that the exhaust from the left and right headers are not given the opportunity to cross with this setup. Not saying this can't be done, but there are benefits to scavenging and drone to have the exhaust meet. Look at the well engineered factory exhaust or any of the options offered by name brand suppliers. I highly doubt a $260 exhaust has been tested and engineered properly for the routing they intend to run.

That being said, exhaust systems don't have to be expensive. I just did a muffler delete and tried to match the bends that can be seen on FabSpeed's race exhaust. The muffler delete did lose a bit of low end torque, but it pulls much harder on the top end. Total cost was about $30 for some pipes to bend and weld. Though it's too loud and I'll be buying quality resonators to throw in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If your question is “..is a $260 exhaust system as good as an $8000 system?” Then you know the answer Is “probably not.”

What I find so fascinating with Porsche ownership is how quickly all of the “modifications” are stripped off when the car is put up for sale. That should be a useful clue for anybody wanting to throw money away on “mods.”

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Even to most basic system with no testing and engineering is $800. The good ones are $1500-3000.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
have a look at some of the exhaust reviews and some pages of the exhaust drone thread.
it pays to be careful when shopping and deciding what noise level is tolerable - although it can be hard to do with youtube videos.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
It is very hard to pick an exhaust online listening to videos. You really need to hear them in person and also go for a ride in a car with it to fully know whether it’s right for you. Some guys just the loudest thing possible. To me those sound like and make the car a piece of crap.
I always thought the PSE was nuts as a $2800 option until it came included on my car. Boy does it sound great
I’m currently going thru this choice thing with my GTI. Made a purchase based on an online recommendation of a dealer who specializes in GTI stuff only. Didn’t get it from him but ESC and haven’t installed the APR downpipe yet. We’ll see , it will probably be crap also as my muffler shop doesn’t think it will be any good but it was only $769 so whatever

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
the cabin for the cayman is sensitive to exhaust resonance and taking care to research your choice should be the first step before plunking down the cash.

it may be very hard to find an exact system for a test ride/drive and the reality is probably most will need some reference before deciding on a system. You are right Augie - it can be totally different for the in-car experience.

There used to be some pretty good videos comparing different exhaust systems for the 987 that i found useful when comparing such as the croctoberfest youtube video .

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
How can this be so cheap? Has anyone installed this thing? Only $260?!

Full Stainless Catback Exhaust System for Porsche Boxster & Cayman 987 Base & S Amazon.com: Full Stainless Catback Exhaust System for Porsche Boxster & Cayman 987 Base & S: Automotive

I had a similar one on my 986 boxster a long time ago, similar muffler design. The quality was OK for my cheap 986, before I knew better. It sounded pretty awesome, but droned like crazy. I did it only for sound, so I cannot recall about performance. I put the stock back after a few weeks....now I know better and would never put something like that on my car again. The best ”cheap” solution is Carnewal GT. And a side note - most aftermarket exhausts drone, just a matter of how much and how sensitive you are. I had PSE on one of my other porsches, it droned too when valves were open..

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the materials are cheap, and the design is cheap, and there was no testing for flow performance, then you can get a cheap exhaust! I would worry about the materials and corrosion...

I will echo what hallonz said, the Carnewal GT is fantastic for the money. PSE sound for way less money and no hassle with wiring or vacuum lines. The GT exhaust is tame enough below 4k RPM and lower throttle openings that it hardly is more noticeable than stock. Around 4k, you get an absolutely amazing howl that sounds very exotic and sweet. Above 5k, it screams!

·
Incurable Gearhead
943 Posts
With so many quality options available, both new and used, why anyone would buy a bottom dollar exhaust from Quingdao Greatwall Industries, in Shandong, China, is beyond me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, Look up Liang Fei exhaust. They are super cheap machine welded chinese systems. They are actually resold through major name brand sellers with their own custom stamps on the mufflers, but the design and shape is identical. Some companies even bead blast or high temp paint the systems and it changes the look so its not as recognizable. If you want a quality system go with a company like fabspeed. They have been proven to produce more HP than most other companies in their price point. the Dundon headers are also amazing, but they cost almost twice as much as the fabspeed units.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts