Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch Porsche Factory Driver Patrick Long Drive The Crap Out Of An Old 911 RSR

From time to time we see comparisons of different cars and people saying "oh look, I passed a xxxxxx car and I only have such and such HP". In general, that means little since its usually driver skill. Put the same driver in both cars, and the results will be different. This is an excellent example of this. PAG factory driver in a 300 HP 911RSR racing (actual racing) vs 700 HP 935. If you don't understand 935, well look up Le Mans winners. The first 9 mins are boring but then gets interesting. Notice ... no gimmicks, no nannies, none of this PDK stuff (actually shifts and magically is not worried about it) and the magical sound of a NA flat 6.

Patrick Long? Le Mans winner himself. So the next time you see a lesser car passing a better car in a youtube video, ask yourself who is driving because driver skills matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a great bit of racing. And driving! Head and should Rd above the guys he passed who had mechanically superior cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
From time to time we see comparisons of different cars and people saying "oh look, I passed a xxxxxx car and I only have such and such HP". In general, that means little since its usually driver skill. Put the same driver in both cars, and the results will be different.

One of the things I've noticed since the introduction of safety devices such as ABS, traction control, and stability control is that some drivers with very limited ability, actually believe that they are skilled drivers because of the interventions of these safety devices. So rather than investing a few thousand dollars in a high performance driving school, they spend multiple times that amount at some performance shop trying to get an extra 25 - 30 more HP.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The driver in the yellow 935 didn't know the racing line at Seca. Probably first time there.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
so, THAT;s how you take the corkscrew and Turn 11.... !!

I compared this video to a recent one I took of me at at DE --- an instructor friend, upon seeing my video, said, "... Don, those were nice, clean and safe laps!" === e.g. I was slow. NOW, I understand..
D

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The car was 6 years old when he was born.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts